The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
334 Posts
I was raised not to ask people how much they paid for something. As such, it always suprises me how many total stratgers ask. I usually reply with either "Well, fun shoudn't have a price tag but this car sure is fun". The other option is to ask them "Well, how much do you think you would have to pay for one" If they say $70K, I say "Sold" and give a smile.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
My answers: It costs your 1st year of college. I got scared at 120 on the track. Zero tickets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since getting my Elise last year, it's been fun watching the reactions to it. Got some good ones when I've been at a stop light, like when some girl walking her dog stopped and said, "wow, that's such a cool looking car". To some little kids on bikes going by saying, "that car is so small, it's so cool!", and the mother just laughing.
Of course you get the typical kid in the tuned Mustang or Audi revving his engine as he drives past you, trying to show off his ride, but you just shake your head and laugh.

Funny enough, never been asked anything at a gas station though even with people there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hmmm, I'd say every other fill-up I get a "nice car" comment, and every ~4 fill-ups someone will want to talk a little bit more. These cars are so rare, people are always seeing it in-person for the first time.

Once I got pulled over, and just talked cars with the cop for 30 minutes. He knew lotuses really well.

I'm always acutely aware that it's not really an exotic, and I feel like a faker when people treat it like an exotic. I spend many of my conversations convincing people it's really fun to drive, but not fast, not expensive, and not even much of a car. Looks great though!

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,054 Posts
I'm always acutely aware that it's not really an exotic, and I feel like a faker when people treat it like an exotic.
Same. But they are special cars, if even only for their rarity, smallness and purity.

I can't believe how well the design has aged, and how cohesive it is, bumper to bumper. If you look at my avatar pic, that overhead shot, you can really see how every line on the car just flows into the next. It's very impressive in that regard.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Same. But they are special cars, if even only for their rarity, smallness and purity.

I can't believe how well the design has aged, and how cohesive it is, bumper to bumper. If you look at my avatar pic, that overhead shot, you can really see how every line on the car just flows into the next. It's very impressive in that regard.
Ha ha! There are no bumpers!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mine has been my daily driver for seven years. Hundreds of comments and smiles. It never gets old and I’ll always engage in conversation. My wife drives it all the time and is so used to the comments that she has a two word phrase as we drive away, “Lotus Love”. LOL <eyeroll> I have other exotics (and I say this not to brag and sound like a douchebag) but people seem more distanced. Which is fine - just an observation. I think the little Lotus is more approachable, non-threatening and fun. People don’t seem to have as many preconceptions like “look at that rich arrogant prick” in the ____. It’s the best money I’ve spent on any car. Period.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I drive mine at least every 2nd or, at most, 3rd day and, even in a COVID-19 human devoid SF Bay Area reality, seldom go without at least one person remarking or giving me a thumbs up. I didn't buy the Elise for recognition, but it is a very interesting aspect of ownership.

I agree with the other sentiments out there regarding how spot on Lotus got it when they made this car - the chassis is a true stroke of genius for not only how well it performs but how flexible and scalable it has proven to be. Name another car that has been around since the mid 90's and is largely unfettered yet remains relevant. It has spawned a lineage of which anyone might be proud. The drivetrain, though seemingly cursed with the touch of the English, is a treat to enjoy.

The secondary benefit that this car is immediately identifiable as something extremely special is by the by... but I still go down to my parking garage each day that I don't drive it just to admire the curves, the beauty, the simplicity.

I agree with GTS930 - it is money well spent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently purchased a chrome orange Elise and it gets plenty of interest and comments. This is nice and it has been all positive so far. But it doesn't remotely compare to my previous weekend driver. A 57 Speedster. It was a well built replica. The attention was overwhelming and became too annoying. My Elise purchase was for driving and it drives a zillion times better. The chrome orange was not for attention but for safety. You want the giant SUV's and semis to see you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I get a bunch of thumbs ups and comments in both the Elise and Europa but the Europa gets more. I figure it comes down to being considered less the "self-indulgent prick" and more the "connoisseur."

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
This car has indeed aged very very well, its still so relative in the minds of the younger crowd and got lots of nice compliments from folks.

Last time I was at the gas station a wrx sti driver filling up on the other side of the lot walked over and just about fell over at the clear sight of the car. I was so distracted by his wide smiles and joy I left my aluminum gas cover open and drove off, A few miles away another nice person in a SUV complimented me on the car and informed me my cover was open. Doh!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just added an S240 to my collection and was trailering it closer to its eventual home. At the first rest stop, I parked with the semis and noticed as I was heading to the restroom, a semi came up next to me, a bit over the line behind me, but no big deal as I would leave forward.
When I came out, it was going back and forth like it was trying to get past me, I signaled I would move. When I got there he jumped out and said he was just straightening up and hoped I didn't leave as it was his dream car!! He was passing by and saw it and pulled in quick.
He took several pictures and he couldn't believe he could see his dream car in person. Said he was shocked how inexpensive it was! (Still a lot to me! :geek: )

I ultimately had a minor tie down issue I had to do at a gas station in Abilene, KS and drew a crowd there too. Everyone loves it that gets near it.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts