The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sort of off-topic; hope this doesn't annoy anyone: I think the Elise will be featured in a very interesting reality TV show next week.

"Faking It" is a show on the BBC America channel. Each week, they take a complete neophyte and give him/her exactly one month to learn a very difficult skill (such as surfing, DJing, equestrian sports, boat racing, conducting an orchestra).

Once the month is up, the faker takes part in some type of competition, after which the judges are asked to guess the identity of the faker.

Well, next week's episode has a video game tester competing in a car race -- with just one month of training! The commericial teaser has the faker driving what I'm almost positive is an Elise, though it *might* be an Exige. The car is spinning wildly out of control -- of course.

Anyhow, I think anyone who's interested in getting involved in motorsports will enjoy this episode. Just how good *can* one get after 30 days of focused driving instruction?

Here is a description of the episode:

Link to Episode Description

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Very cool - thanks.

Anybody out there able to get the video of this so we can download?

·
Registered
220 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
Well, next week's episode has a video game tester competing in a car race -- with just one month of training! The commericial teaser has the faker driving what I'm almost positive is an Elise, though it *might* be an Exige. The car is spinning wildly out of control -- of course.
I actually saw this on an airplane flight (trans-Pacific flight. Lots of time for such things). The cars were Elises. Part of some driving school wherever they filmed. I think it was in Australia, but I'm not sure. It's been a while.

The faker's made-up history was that he raced in the US with the SCCA. His most difficult hurdle to overcome (besides spinning) was fitness.

I don't recall the ending, since the flight ended at the most inconvenient time.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Part of it was in a Chrome Orange Exige & they filmed at least part of it at the Lotus factory in Hethel. I know becuase I was there and I was checking out the car between takes. :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
adamant said:
Thursday at 9.00pm. Didn't see the link first time.
I tuned in. I saw "Faking It'. They taught some skinny Brit how to surf! Nothing on racing and not an Elise in sight.:mad:

·
Registered
327 Posts
I checked my digital cable INFO. MENU and it appears to be on TONIGHT (SUNDAY NIGHT) at 8pm and again at midnight (I think) and then again at 5am EST.

It says it's about a video game guy learning to be a race driver.

No idea if there is an Elise involved, but I am hopeful.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Yes, it is on right this minute on BBCA channel (DirecTV).

The guy does seem to be full of himself...

Thanks for the heads up on the show!

Thomas

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Laser blue S2 with the early canvas top (with the pointy tips) and a CO exige, about 3 min total screen time.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I watched it last night, man oh man the guys was sure full of himself, he really blew the opportunity. But an SI and SII Elise and a brief look at a yellow Caterham 7, nice cars to train in!

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As a driving enthusiast, I feel somewhat vindicated that he utterly failed. It proved that this thing of ours is NOT that easy. (At least relative to some of the other 30-day trials the show has aired before. )

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
strawtarget said:
Pre-baked tires. LOL!!!!!!
Ah, I didn't understand what exactly he said about the tires, but knew that it must have been bad when I saw the instructors in disbelief. That's too funny. The part about the "water bottle" was good, too. :p

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I had to fight the urge to reach in through the tube and throttle him, I can't imagine how hard it must have been with him within arms reach. The kid thought banging around PS2/XBOX would give him a leg up. The bottom line is that he didn't respect his ride and it beat him.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
That was the best "faking it" I have watched. The end was great, it was soooo funny. Especially the "Oh F*** he's coming back..."
As the woman said, he's in a world of his own.
Did anyone think that the other car that cut him off was asked too ?
I'm glad I have a PVR, I'm going to watch it again!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts