The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading on the net it looks like Kumho is not going to make us a V710 front tire.:(

Anyone know if Hoosier has a new design for '05 to help fix the outside wearing issue?

·
Registered
162 Posts
CrashTestDummy said:
Anyone know if Hoosier has a new design for '05 to help fix the outside wearing issue? [/B]
I'd say the "outside wearing issue" is due to the car, not the tire. I'd also say that it will be pretty straightforward to fix via a larger front bar and maximum negative camber in the front.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually I have several friend that race Spec Miatas and they are running almost -3* and are having the same problems. They are even a Hoosier dealer.

I do agree that a larger front bar will help though.

It is just sad that Kumho is not going to make a tire for our cars.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
There is an edge wear issue with the A3S04 that is not due to the car. The wear is being reported on all sorts of cars: stock MINI, stock Miata, street prepared Miata, street prepared IS300...

However, I think that Randy's initial 20-run debacle must have something to do with the car, as I got more than twice the number of runs on the same size wheel and tire on a heavier car with a softer suspension.

The Kumho 215/40-16 might fit, no? Maybe some of you should write to Kumho and let them know your fitment concerns. They had been planning a 205/45-16 at one point. Maybe this is the same tire, but they've decided to be a little more accurate about their size markings...

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
John Stimson said:
There is an edge wear issue with the A3S04 that is not due to the car. The wear is being reported on all sorts of cars: stock MINI, stock Miata, street prepared Miata, street prepared IS300...

However, I think that Randy's initial 20-run debacle must have something to do with the car, as I got more than twice the number of runs on the same size wheel and tire on a heavier car with a softer suspension.

The Kumho 215/40-16 might fit, no? Maybe some of you should write to Kumho and let them know your fitment concerns. They had been planning a 205/45-16 at one point. Maybe this is the same tire, but they've decided to be a little more accurate about their size markings...
The front of the Elise comes with zero camber. That is what did in the tires so quickly. Now we have a little over 1 degree negative, which will help.

The rears had a little negative camber, so they did not cord as quickly, but after 30 runs, had lost all grip due to heat cycles.

We think the 215 Kumho might fit the front. Maybe. The rear is the problem. We might consider a Toyo RA1 for the rear for local and practice events.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts