The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Most of our parts are much bigger (and require better dimensional control) than "peachy" can make. A RipRap or PrintrBot can do larger work, and in ABS.

·
Registered
623 Posts
There are many low-cost 3D printers on the market right now. My Printrbot Jr (kit) cost me $400. Having said that, I've spent several hundred dollars upgrading it (heated bed, extending the z-axis, improved belt system, etc.).

The Peachy is impressive in that its extremely simple mechanism and audio-based drive cuts the cost down to just $100, but from what I've seen, it's capabilities are pretty limited. Particularly when it comes to part size as addertooth says.

My PB Jr can print 4" x 5.5" x 7" and I often struggle to fit parts in to that envelope.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have an FDM (filament deposit) printer I built that can do 6" x 6" x 6" and even that's extremely restrictive.

Plus if I want to make things in metal I have to use "lost PLA" casting which involves depositing plastic filament to make a part, then using the part to make a plaster mold, burning the part out, and molding the metal.

I think the real future of 3D printing for structural/functional parts is Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) which is the same idea as the Peachy but with metal powder rather than liquid resin and won't reach consumer price points for a couple more years.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sweet build. I've always wanted a rostock/delta printer - so much faster and smarter than the gantry system on my RepRap design.

Heated bed is a must, especially for nylon which will warp horrendously if not kept at the right temps.

Dual extruder is awesome too, especially if you get some water-soluble support material which really expands what you can print easily.

·
Too Many Projects
44 Posts
I'm in the middle of building a Rostock Max and I should be finishing it this weekend. It's another delta design with a HUGE build volume (11" diameter and 13" tall). As it is currently configured it will run PLA and ABS, but will be upgrading the hotend once I get everything configured and running good so that I can make truly functional parts out of Nylon.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
That is fascinating!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Well, I got in contact with Rylan Grayston (the head of the Peachy project); it looks like I am going to help them get over some design humps. The price in the U.S. will likely be closer to $120.00.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Pretty amazing how rapidly additive manufacturing techniques are evolving... my company has a whole team dedicated to researching this technology.

I had some interesting discussion a few months ago at MIT with the inventor(s) of the "Form 1" printer:

Introducing the Form 1 on Vimeo

There are several companies in Tucson of all places that are solely dedicated to manufacturing parts using additive techniques. They have an entire manufacturing line that is filled only with these types of machines.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
The Form1 will have nice resolution, but it's still SLA, so the resin is fragile. Good for show and tell...
The patents for FDM expired in 2009, which is why you see so much growth with the open source printers. The patents for SLA/SLS expire in 2014! So hopefully we see a lot of growth there as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts