The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a note. Check things!

When I owned a kart, one thing we learned was that the price for stiff ride that gets violently shaken in use, was that EVERYTHING wanted to come undone. It was normal procedure to safety wire every nut and bolt. And even then, things happened.

The Elise is not as stiff, but it's still stiff. Check fasteners occasionally. I do not know all of which ones are likely to come undone yet, but I do know a couple.

Under the diffuser, there are two bolts that are NOT on the periphery. They are allen head with a washer. On my car, one was finger loose and backed out a few threads. The other one was barely hanging on and I assume a week later would be missing if I did not notice it.

As has been mentioned before, tighten up those plastic carpet screw things. I tighten mine weekly.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It might be a good idea to consider use of the "blue" Loctite (the one that isn't almost impossible to remove like the red) on these fasteners.

-Jim

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
This is a serious point.
The Car is hand built like its spiritual ancestor the 7.
As a se7en owner I check the torque of the suspension fasteners almost every time I decide to use it.
I use different paint markers in rotation to mark the troublesome bolts and nuts to detect any change in torque.

If you do notice loose fasteners in the Elise you'll know that it was truly handbuilt.

After I was able to view the "best of British" vid I noticed they were using impact wrenches to lock down or loosen the wheel bolts on the circa S1 cars.
Not good in my opinion though they might have torque to yield fitting on the wrenches.
So i think it might be wise to check the torque of the suspension and diffuser fasteners.
m.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Is there a document fromLotus or elsewhere that itemizes places on the car one should regularly check for loose parts and the appropriate torque settings? Obviously suspension points would be of particular interest.

And if not, thanks to Randy for starting such a document here on this thread. :)

Jim

·
Registered
162 Posts
jdw5155 said:
Is there a document fromLotus or elsewhere that itemizes places on the car one should regularly check for loose parts and the appropriate torque settings?
Randy's excellent advice isn't specific to the Elise, to Lotuses, or even to sports cars. Any vehicle operated in anger, from dirt bikes to aircraft, should receive routine "preflight" inspections of all mission-critical components. In addition to fasteners, you should check wheels, tires, fuel lines and fittings, brake hydraulics and linings, coolant hoses and clamps, etc., etc. It is not possible to specify exactly which items to inspect/check. The longer you own a given vehicle, the more you will come to understand its particular self-dismantling tendencies. And you can rest assured that every vehicle has some of these.
-eek-

Jay
1970 Europa S2, ASP 65

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hmm, after the drive yesterday I think Ill take your advice Randy. Thanks for the pointer regarding Loctite Jim. Im on my way to home depot for the blue stuff.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
jdw5155 said:
Is there a document fromLotus or elsewhere that itemizes places on the car one should regularly check for loose parts and the appropriate torque settings? Obviously suspension points would be of particular interest.

And if not, thanks to Randy for starting such a document here on this thread. :)

Jim
Usually suspension components, in my experience.. The lighter the weight of the vehicle, the more likely, the transmitted shock and vibration will be loosening fittings.
m.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Notice anything consistently getting loose yet, Randy or anybody?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those same two bolts on the diffuser. I need to Loktite them.

In fact, I noticed a new rattle when I started the car Saturday. I left it running, climbed out and looked under the car. It was one of the bolts hanging on by a couple threads. So I tightened it again.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Randy,
Anyone keeping the original bolts to hold the diffuser and undertray as Randy says, need to use loctite. One was missing on mine.

So far probably 800 miles since I put the undertray/diffuser quick release kit, no problems, lost fasteners as of yet.
Chris

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
It's British - they all do that sir (TADTS).

My car has had several "non-essential" bolts, etc get a little loose.

In fitting my new dampers I can say that all of the suspension bolts were tight. Loctite is recommended on these bolts, however.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
On my Seven everything possible is nylock or had loctite on it. I have yet to have a problem with either method of securing a fastener. I think I will do the same thing as I check the Elise, put Loctite on it, I have all four grades of standard Loctite from building the Seven.

·
Registered
640 Posts
While waxing my car this evening I noticed that the 2 lower bolts that hold the drivers door on to the alloy door bracket were loose (backed of a couple of turns). The door was basically being held in place by the single upper bolt :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Allright, its time to buy some locktite! For door bolts and things you don't have to remove often what color should we use? how about for bolts that need more regular removal such as the undertray?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I lost one of the two back bolts holding the diffuser on :(

I threaded a bolt in one turn (not metric) just to make sure the tray was held in place until I can pick up another at the dealer. SO I guess I need loctite, too. rats

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I've been checking those two bolts (5 mm allen wrench) and mine seem to stay tight just fine. Could there be any grit on between the panel and the mount? If so, as it gets crushed and turns to dust a gap may be created which means you lose your bolt tension hence the bolt can back out. If it does back out, at least the bolts are fairly long, so a glance under the car may spot them while they are still hanging on for dear life. I'd suggest making sure the panel overlaps and joints are clean when you have panels off. (it gets pretty dirty on their upper surfaces!) If you hear / feel any gritty sounds as things are refastened it would be a good idea to clean things up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
GEeze--what am i getting myself into

Guys,
I love the Elise and have now ordered my car, howver I have never ever even changed the oil on a car. Dont know how!!!!!
I can but air in the tires and thats about it.

Is this care going to destroy me because I don't know the first thing about cars.

Listening to all these bolts hanging on by a tread has really got me worried

Help,
paul:confused:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Keep in mind that although the Elise is an exotic car, it still has the heart of a Toyota. A good thing.

I suspect it will be easy to live with from a maintenance point of view. I also suspect that this car may very well inspire you to learn more about the basic mechanical aspects such as changing oil etc.

You won't need to invest in very expensive tools and there will be plenty of sources of D.I.Y. information.

Best,
Jim

1 - 20 of 46 Posts