The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a slight sort of "clunk" in the wheel when turning sometimes - usually at low speeds. I can also jiggle the wheel upwards when driving or parked.

I've played around with the tilt and telescoping settings and made sure it was fully locked, but it still seems loose. Has anyone else had such and issue? Is this just another Lotus thing I need to get used to?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Very common issue in the early models. It is fixed with a very small part (bushing). Should have been fixed under warranty, but shouldn't cost much to have done.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'll add it to my warranty fix list. Seems the previous owner didn't bother getting any of the warranty related stuff fixed, but I'm too anal...I mean, uh...detail-oriented...to let these things go.

Time to do some searching on the shaky driver's side mirror that is driving me nuts. I think I recall seeing that that's a warranty issue too.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I think it's call a "clock spring" in the steering column. Easily fixed under warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Most of these things are known problems with known solutions. Do a search here and you'll find them.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
If you have the feeling the previous owner didn't have all the common niggles done I would also suggest to do some research here. There are a few common issues and 2 or 3 recalls that should have been taken care of by the previous owner.

If he didn't do them all then this is your chance.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
There is a "clock Spring" in the steering wheel. If it is the problem you may also notice that your cruise control can be a bit "finicky"

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
If you have the feeling the previous owner didn't have all the common niggles done I would also suggest to do some research here. There are a few common issues and 2 or 3 recalls that should have been taken care of by the previous owner.

If he didn't do them all then this is your chance.
Also, put your model/year in your signature line. Different years had different niggles/recalls, and we can help point you in the right direction more easily if we know what your car is.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! I have been doing lots of searches and reading different threads and it's been really helpful. I have my punch list ready for the dealer - who I plan on calling first thing on Monday. Along with the steering wheel and the other items, I've noticed that the airbag light is always on - which also seems to be a known issue with a fix.

Signature updated - good idea!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a "clock Spring" in the steering wheel. If it is the problem you may also notice that your cruise control can be a bit "finicky"
Haven't tried the cruise control yet, but the wheel is a bit off center. Will the clock spring fix correct this too? Or is that a separate issue?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Haven't tried the cruise control yet, but the wheel is a bit off center. Will the clock spring fix correct this too? Or is that a separate issue?
Wheel off center is an alignment issue.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
We, the LotusTalk members, have all got well sorted cars because we looked for issues, and had them fixed. Last month at Secor, there was an early 2010 Aquamarine NA there that they told me was FULL of issues, the owner just never bothered to get any of them fixed. Now car is off warranty and he's screwed. Moral is, buy your car from a member here!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah...wish I had. Good thing is, I have a year left on the factory warranty, which I confirmed with Lotus, so I have time to get everything sorted out.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has anyone fixed this issue themselves? Provided I can get the part is it something I can take care of?

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
The "loose" Steering Wheel, with a click in the wheel is a "Spacer Steering Wheel to Column", which has a TSB # 2011/11 32.05.21-02.
Mine was covered as a Warranty Repair.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know it's covered by a TSB, but it looks like a $10 part and rather than making a trip to the dealer, I'd happily spend the money and do it myself (if it's not a big deal to do).

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
I know it's covered by a TSB, but it looks like a $10 part and rather than making a trip to the dealer, I'd happily spend the money and do it myself (if it's not a big deal to do).
A $10 part on a Lotus?
What you talking about man :D

I feel your pain. I hate taking my car for service. No real keen on my local tech and they keep the car forever.

took mine in at the end of June to have the passenger airbag cover replace, gauge problem (ended up just being a loose fuse :facepalm) and to look at a problem in the paint near the door handle. They still have it. To make things worse, the weather is just gorgeous here in the Midwest right now ( who would have thunk it?)
I use this forum to educate myself and do as much as possible to avoid the dealer.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought that's what I saw on the parts catalog. :) Guess it doesn't matter now, as the dealer just called and they're going to take care of this, along with all the other issues I've noted. It goes in next Friday. Yay!

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts

It is $10 PART, and not to difficult to install.
But, you may as well have it done under Warranty.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts