The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any interest in a So Cal "holiday" get-together ?

Since November is already here, I thought we'd better start planning something, if there is interest.

Here are a few suggestions, feel free to throw in others please:

- A meet-up at Dromo1 in Orange (indoor gas karts, pretty good fun), followed by a drinks and dinner thing at a nearby place (there is a pretty good brewpub nearby called JT Schmidts, or there's a King's Fish House which is good, there are lots of other local choices as well.

http://www.dromo1.com/

- A similar meet at K1 Speed, the indoor karting track in Carlsbad (Neil aka Little Bastard has been and says it's really good, these are electric karts and he says it's a nice course and more challenging than Dromo1, which is definitely a "low-grip" track to keep speeds down etc).

http://www.k1speed.com/

- Forget about the karting and just go for the drinks and the Grub ! In Santa Ana (also in Fullerton), there's a very authentic-feeling British pub called The Olde Ship. Good Ale and the food is good as well. Fried bread, anyone ? Would be a good, sort of homey-type place for a holiday get-together.
http://www.theoldeship.com/

I know there are lots of people in San Diego, so maybe a SD location works out better, but then there are all those LA people as well....

Here's a nutty but cool idea, maybe better saved for next year or thereafter; The Peterson Museum in LA does special events, would be cool to eventually do something there (probably not cheap though). Also, in OC there are auto-related events places in the form of Joe's Garage (Joe McPherson), in the Auto Center in Tustin, and The Marconi Museum, off of Redhill in Tustin. We're probably not nearly large enough as a group/club yet to afford these types of places, but maybe someday !

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
You could all come to the autocross I'm in charge of Dec. 4th & 5th at Cal Speedway.

We'll even have an Elisetalker from the east coast there!

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
count me in for Dromo! How much?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shay2nak said:
count me in for Dromo! How much?
$25 per session, which consists of qualifying and then the race. All together, it's generally a bit more than 15 minutes (maybe 20)on the track per session. Usually, one session is enough but for a group thing, some may choose to do a couple.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wellllll, how about auto-cross during the day then finish off the day at the Olde Ship ?

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
mikester said:
$25 per session, which consists of qualifying and then the race. All together, it's generally a bit more than 15 minutes (maybe 20)on the track per session. Usually, one session is enough but for a group thing, some may choose to do a couple.
only 15 minutes?! I'd do 2 or more sessions. I won't be driving 85 miles for 1 session.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You go, big guy ! ;)

It actually seems/feels like more than that, plus you sit through a brief video of the rules and reg.s, get suited up in driver's coveralls, helmet, gloves, and wait for your session, so it's not really like you just show up for 15 - 20 minutes. If you've never done karting before you won't understand, but it is a nice adrenaline rush and an arms workout. Anyone could do more, I'm just saying, normally, I can do one session and feel satisfied. Plus, it's not very far for me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Count me in at dromo for sure. If we get enough people together we can just rent the place out for an hour or so.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far, there seem to be a few people up for a Dromo1 event, while Lillie, Robert (maybe Randy???) sound like they may be autocrossing on the weekend of Dec. 4 and 5. No specific dates (aside from autocross) have been set, so other thoughts/input is welcome !

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
K1 speed hands down... I kart there all the time. It is the newest and largest indoor track on the west coast. They are changing the track this week to a better one... Plus I know the owners.

Let me know what we decide, regardless of where we go... I'm in!

Neil

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Dromo goes a bit overboard in safetywear.. in hot weather, it sucked to have to wear all that nasty gear just for tooling around indoors.

It was quite a relief when Miramar Speed Circuit opened and required only a helmet. Everything else provided, but optional.

I haven't been to K1, but electric sounds like fun -- and without the heady fumes in the pits.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hmmm... count me in. I'm poor as dirt now, but I can probably afford a single session.

Bob

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
wow, i totally forgot about this. Is it still on Dec 4th?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've been out of town a lot the past few weeks so haven't pursued this.

December 4 was sort of a "let's see if this flies" date. Nothing is definite at this point. Is December 4 a good date for those Elisetalkers who are interested ?

The concensus (so far) seems to be for Dromo1 (Neil I think the K1 would be great too maybe we can set up an event there soon ?).

1 - 20 of 85 Posts