The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the market to buy a few new suits. I got inspired by this LA Times article about the $49 suit he found.

A hunt for Beau Brummell, at bargain prices - Los Angeles Times

This Steve Lopez is the same guy that Robert Downey Jr. portrayed in the movie "The Soloist"

I'm looking for some sort of 100% wool suit and I probably won't find one for $49. Do any of you have any favorite stores to buy men's suits in the Fashion District area?

If you go to the Fashion District's website and do a search for Men's Suits here, there's a ton of stores available. However, i'd prefer to go on a recommendation rather than looking at each suit store that covers the Fashion District which spans 115 blocks large:
Search District | LA Fashion District

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm in the market to buy a few new suits. I got inspired by this LA Times article about the $49 suit he found.

A hunt for Beau Brummell, at bargain prices - Los Angeles Times

I'm looking for some sort of 100% wool suit and I probably won't find one for $49. Do any of you have any favorite stores to buy men's suits in the Fashion District area?

If you go to the Fashion District's website and do a search for Men's Suits here, there's a ton of stores available. However, i'd prefer to go on a recommendation rather than looking at each suit store that covers the Fashion District which spans 115 blocks large:
Search District | LA Fashion District
I wish I could help you... I'm down in the Fashion District quite often but usually in the wholesale areas... the suit stores I walk by all look a bit "pimpy" to me...

On an aside... I like John Varvatos... there is a store on Melrose... I kid you not I've been in there in between seasons and got a "friends and family" discount (what the salesman referred to is as, yes it is west hollywood and I was sent over from the Versace store :shrug:... anyway)... I picked up two that day... retail 1650.00... that day 250.00 a piece -eek-:D

Hopefully someone can offer you more advice with regards to the fashion district but I say shop around everywhere...:wave:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nobody else bought a suit in the fashion district before?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
nobody else bought a suit in the fashion district before?
I usually buy my suits there but then I don't usually wear suit very often. Pricing is good, quality is decent and they usually have alterers nearby so you can get everything done at once.

I don't usually have a favorite store but usually walk around and look at their selections. Yes, some are Zoot Suits but they also have large selections of business suits. And the store owners are often eager to negotiate off their sticker prices.

Maybe this will help you find a cluster of suit stores. Click on "Search District" and then click on "Products" and then scroll down and select "Suits":

| LA Fashion District

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If i wanted to get a somewhat "decent" suit, would i be better off going to Macy's or Men's Warehouse, both of whom are having 50+% off suits right now. Both stores have similar Calvin Klein suits originally $500 going for $250ish now.

Or am i going to find better value in the Fashion District. The thing i'm worried about is the guys in the Fashion District might sell me a no-name suit made from crummy material . I don't care bout the brand name much, just the quality of the material and build of the suit.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I think there's a CK outlet in the shopping mall that used to host cars n coffee. Depending on the brand you can also find deals at the Nordstrom Rack at the Bridge.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just picked up a Calvin Klein 3 button suit originally $500, now $255 with extra 25% off coupon on purchases over $100 if you only ask at the register at Macy's...

Thanks for telling me about the outlet after i buy the suit Knucklehead :sad:

·
Registered
981 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey 25psi_Elise_Killer, you going for a new job? I haven't been in LA since... well when we met during that blackout for shabu shabu.

Btw your boot dryers work great.
Wassup! Still trying to find a job unfortunately. However, i'm starting to see firms begin to post some jobs now.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I don't know what the fashion district is, nor would I probably go there if I did lol, but I scored a nice classic navy Calvin Klein suit once at a goodwill for $14. I think I paid my friends grandma $20 to bring up the legs which were brand new and had never been altered or fitted. It's been better than the suit I paid a few hundred buck for (and ended up snagging it and getting a small hole in the thin fabric)

·
Registered
981 Posts
I don't know what the fashion district is, nor would I probably go there if I did lol, but I scored a nice classic navy Calvin Klein suit once at a goodwill for $14. I think I paid my friends grandma $20 to bring up the legs which were brand new and had never been altered or fitted. It's been better than the suit I paid a few hundred buck for (and ended up snagging it and getting a small hole in the thin fabric)
I ruined a pair of $100 pants that way as well. I was so pissed. And there's nothing that you can do to fix it unless you want to look like a hobo or Raggedy Andy.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
That reminds me of a Halloween costume one of my gay friends did with his partner: Raggedy Andy and Raggedy Andy. It was hilarious.
rotfl love it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts