The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Los Angeles Update 11/11

3K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  shay2nak 
#1 ·
Cars delivered last week.................0
Cars in "prep"..................................0
Cars on schedule for next week......0
Los Angeles city dealerships............0
Los Angeles county dealerships.......0
Confirmed build dates......................0

and yes, this is even starting to bore me.

#3 ·
Not to quibble, but I would consider Symbolic to be a Los Angeles County dealer as they fill orders from their Beverly Hills list. As someone else pointed out, a guy on Roadfly, who claims to have been first on the original list (but slipped several spots as Symbolic skimmed some cars off the top) has received his car at MSRP.

My car has been built (confirmed by Lotus) and the ship carrying it is due to arrive Sunday. Probably still 3-4 weeks away from delivery. VIN in the low 700s.

So there still is hope.

#6 ·
Adamant...

Some California cars are delivered, just less than eastern cars. There was a post about a week ago that three SF Bay area dealers had gotten a combined 25 cars, in comparison to one Chicago dealer getting 40+. My post just states that there are no Los Angeles cars delivered not California cars, because there is no dealer in Los Angeles.

JML...

I quibble with your quibble. No address equates to no dealer. Try and put a deposit down at Symbolic Bev Hills, or pick your car up there.

Steve

#7 ·
Sownman said:

JML...

I quibble with your quibble. No address equates to no dealer. Try and put a deposit down at Symbolic Bev Hills, or pick your car up there.

Steve
Well it's your game, so I guess you can make the rules.

Rather than driving 40 miles into BH to pick up my car, I will be taking the train to San Diego to pick up my car in La Jolla (my wife does not seem interested in a 400 mile roundtrip to drop me off to get the car). Fortunately, servicing is available 3 miles away at Silver Star.

I know that Lotus was extremely upset when Symbolic closed the BH showroom. I would love to know where things stand now. You would think that Lotus would give them a deadline to open in a new location or lose their franchise. Perhaps that was part of the Galpin deal.

So Steve, is one of your deposits with Symbolic and do you have any estimate of when you might get a car??

#9 ·
rob said:
It occurs to me that Symbolic is less than a mile from Los Angeles County.

If they were to deliver cars on the Los Angeles side of Westlake Village, then Los Angeles County would have a dealership again :)

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Symbolic has two dealers. One in La Jolla, which is over 100 miles away, and one that used to exist. Is LA only one mile from not existing or something ? :D

#10 · (Edited)
jml1952 said:

Rather than driving 40 miles into BH to pick up my car, I will be taking the train to San Diego to pick up my car in La Jolla (my wife does not seem interested in a 400 mile roundtrip to drop me off to get the car). Fortunately, servicing is available 3 miles away at Silver Star.

So Steve, is one of your deposits with Symbolic and do you have any estimate of when you might get a car??
You know that Bev Hills is closed, for 7 months or so I think. Picking up your car there is not an option, that was my point. Your plan with the train sounds great.

My deposits....

Silver Star. Sept 2003 (no order yet)

Steve Harris. Sept 2003 ordered March 2004 Steve Harris
has been told the remander of their first 20 will be built in December. I'm #25 so who knows. It seems Steve Harris
sold a grand total of 2 Esprit. They have thusfar been give 5 Elise.

South Bay BMW will probably get a deposit check as well IF they
really become a dealer. Now if Lotus allocates based on Esprit sales then South Bay should get how many cars ? Based on the Steve Harris allocation of 2 1/2 times the Esprit sales then South Bay should get 2 1/2 times Zero. :rolleyes:

Steve

#13 ·
rob said:
Symbolic in Thousand Oaks no longer exists?
It never did. Silver Star is in Thousand Oaks.

Steve

#14 ·
rob said:
Symbolic in Thousand Oaks no longer exists?
They closed the BH dealer about a year ago with the intention of getting a new place with a service centre (if I'm remembering correctly). They have yet to re-open the dealer.

#15 ·
Gromit said:
They closed the BH dealer about a year ago with the intention of getting a new place with a service centre (if I'm remembering correctly). They have yet to re-open the dealer.
Sorry, I meant Silver Star, in "Thousand Oaks." Mapquest actually lists Automall Drive as Westlake Village.

Those of you who live there know that Westlake Village straddles the Los Angeles - Ventura County line. Driving up the 101, Silver Star is with the dealers on the right side of the highway, just past the 2nd Westlake exit. It's about a mile from the LA county line.

I think it sucks that west coast deliveries aren't what they should be. However, the rest of us have to drive forty miles in heavy traffic uphill both ways through two feet of snow to get our Elises as well.

:D ;) :)

#16 ·
rob said:
Sorry, I meant Silver Star, in "Thousand Oaks." Mapquest actually lists Automall Drive as Westlake Village.

Those of you who live there know that Westlake Village straddles the Los Angeles - Ventura County line. Driving up the 101, Silver Star is with the dealers on the right side of the highway, just past the 2nd Westlake exit. It's about a mile from the LA county line.

I think it sucks that west coast deliveries aren't what they should be. However, the rest of us have to drive forty miles in heavy traffic uphill both ways through two feet of snow to get our Elises as well.

:D ;) :)
The number of cars delivered to the west coast isn't as bad as we make out. The number of cars delievered to west coast list waiters is a different story. But we should be catching up pretty quickly now Symbolic is delivering to the list.

#17 ·
Gromit said:
The number of cars delivered to the west coast isn't as bad as we make out. The number of cars delievered to west coast list waiters is a different story. But we should be catching up pretty quickly now Symbolic is delivering to the list.
You know, the closer it comes to arrival time (and the amount of time spent on this board) make the wait seem longer and longer!

#18 ·
Speaking of Silver Star Thousand Oaks (aka "Lotus of Thousand Oaks", "Silver Star Mercedes", "Thousand Oaks Jag", etc)...

Any word from them?

Anyone been in touch with Alexander? How many deliveries so far? Any happy customers?

Last I heard (in mid August) they had received three customer cars.

#19 ·
As a matter of fact. I just got called by Silver Star to place my order. Alexander said they've deliverd 10 so far.

Steve

#20 ·
Cars delivered last week.................0

Let's not forget the purpose of this thread.
As I see it, it's a chance for Sownman to get out some of the frustration from being one of the forgotten here in the LA area.

I appreciate the sarcasm. It's comforting to know I'm not the only one with this frustration.

#21 ·
Let's not forget that Steve didn't even place a deposit until September 2003. He has earned the right to gripe a little bit, but hardly deserves to join the fine whine club just yet. :D

I will have waited almost 22 months by the time my car arrives in a few weeks. At one time, I projected that I would get my car in August, July if I was lucky. Hah!

#22 ·
jml,
surprisingly your criticising other people for complaining when that's all you been doing for the last months and months...... funny how your perspective seems to have changed since confirm of your car arriving.

But then I'm just a "Lotus cheerleader" so doesn't mean much anyway:D

Chris

#23 ·
zvezdah1 said:
jml,
surprisingly your criticising other people for complaining when that's all you been doing for the last months and months...... funny how your perspective seems to have changed since confirm of your car arriving.

But then I'm just a "Lotus cheerleader" so doesn't mean much anyway:D

Chris
I don't think that my perspective has changed all that much yet, Chris. Perhaps after I actually drive my car for the first time that feeling of nirvana will overcome my usual cynicism.

I'm just giving Steve a hard time. Been there, done that.

Given that he arrived at the party a bit late, I find it amusing that he already has sunk so far into despair. Guys like Shinoo and Mikester, who also placed deposits in January 03, are still waiting for their cars. People who placed late deposits should not be surprised that they are still waiting for their cars. And if you can't wait, several reasonable opportunities to grab a car now are presenting themselves.

Plus, the absence of an LA dealer is only partly true. Symbolic now is delivering cars to LA deposit holders at MSRP. So the fact that they are not physically located in Los Angeles hardly seems all that significant. I'm not totally pleased with how Symbolic handled everything, but they were pretty upfront about most things. And at least their attitude towards the car has been a lot better than the bozos at Silver Star, who sold their so-called demo in September for $11,000 over MSRP (unverified rumor).

#24 ·
jml1952 said:

I'm just giving Steve a hard time. Been there, done that.

Plus, the absence of an LA dealer is only partly true. Symbolic now is delivering cars to LA deposit holders at MSRP. So the fact that they are not physically located in Los Angeles hardly seems all that significant.
Hard times are welcome :) but 14 months doesn't feel like a late comer. At any rate I don't understand How lack of an LA dealer can be partly true. Thats like being sort of pregnant. Either a dealership has an LA address or they don't. In this case they clearly don't. There is NOT A SINGLE PLACE in LA to go look at, or order a car. The only place in LA to place a deposit for the past year has been Galpin, and we all know how that worked out. The fact that Symbolic may finally be starting to deliver cars to some people who ordered way back when they were an LA dealer doesn't change that. Just where is the LA showroom ?

Steve

#25 ·
Wow, This has been my best LA update yet. I added the line about confirmed build dates ZERO. I wonder if thats what got all the responses ?

I hope to be able to end this series soon with a link to the Lotus
website dealer list that has an actual dealer name on it.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.