The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving my car over the weekend and all of a sudden the temp jumps to 205 and i start hearing a knocking sound I lost all power and the car slowed down. I was able to pull over and let it cool and the car ran fine at 186 degrees but any time I got the rpm up over 4500 the car would heat up and lose horsepower again. The car sounds kinda funny at idol now.

A) anyone have any suggestions of what could be wrong? Im gonna check the oil to see if I burned any when I get home.

B) If there is something wrong, any suggestions for some upgrades while Im in there?

This was not a good weekend. Fyi its a 2005 Elise with a katana 2 supercharger.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Check Engine Light come on? Codes?

The engine knocking is troublesome - does it continue to do that?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no check engine, it kinda clunks at idol now, so im not sure whats up. im taking it in today to have it looked at, but at least the oil level is ok and still clean and same with the coolant.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Get a wooden dowel, put one end against your ear, press the other end against various points of your engine. Isolate where the noise is coming from. Suggested places to make contact: lower block, head, supercharger.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Get a wooden dowel, put one end against your ear, press the other end against various points of your engine. Isolate where the noise is coming from. Suggested places to make contact: lower block, head, supercharger.
How many time today has this been your answer? Can we get a smiley for "stick a dowel in your ear"? ;)
Never mind me I'm just trolling to avoid home improvement work.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Every now an then I see posts which have the same solution, no need to re-type. Oh, and the EAR seemed the most polite place I could ask him to stick a dowel (I always strive to be polite, even if I can't be accurate).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so it looks like cylinder 3 &4 blew and coolant is leaking in, the mechanic is pulling the engine tomorrow. looks like it may be time for some upgrades.... any suggestions? going to be an expensive fix

·
Registered
263 Posts
so it looks like cylinder 3 &4 blew and coolant is leaking in, the mechanic is pulling the engine tomorrow. looks like it may be time for some upgrades.... any suggestions? going to be an expensive fix
Ah that sucks - I was afraid of that given the knocking. I'll let someone more knowledgeable comment on upgrades - but yes I'd recommend beefing up the internals of your 2zz.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah that sucks - I was afraid of that given the knocking. I'll let someone more knowledgeable comment on upgrades - but yes I'd recommend beefing up the internals of your 2zz.
thanks at this poin im trying to figure the best route to go, weather get a new engine, go for the k series swap or rebuild the engine and beefing up the internals. 23k miles and it blew at 4500 rpm, i have a feeling it was the tune that got me.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
wow, that sucks.

That's why I say anyone getting power upgrades should do a dyno before and after so you see what's going on. You never know. I felt something was wrong with my car, my suspicion was confirmed after seeing the dyno measurement. Lots of info you can see.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Dashed

Really sorry to hear about this:(

I am confused and trying to figure out the timeline of events with you. Did you just install the Koldfire 300 recently ? This happened approx how long after the install ?

I am planning on going with Blade300 at this point (did not know Koldfire offered )

Is there any advice that I should follow so as to decrease the potential of this ? I don't know if I could afford a rebuilt right off...

Did you have wideband AFR ? I know your smarting right now... Not wanting to cause more duress, just wondering if you had any advice ? peacb

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I bought a katana 2 and had it installed and sent the ecu for a reflash for the smaller pulley. The 1st time it came in the car was running lean so I sent it back and was re flashed again. This time it ran ritch on the dyno but I figured it wouldnt hurt anything. (this was all done about 3 months ago) over the weekend I was driving the car out in the desert in the evening at around 95 mph and at 4500 RPM thats when the engine temps jumped and I heard the noise. Im not sure if it was the supercharger or tune but thats just my initial assumption because the oil was still good and the engine only had 23k miles on it.

My suggestion would be after getting re flashed make sure the tune is in line with what you need and not running rich or lean. having to mail in the ecu and having it dynoed here was not optimal. if you can get it done on location I would highly suggest that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts