The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some background:

When I bought the car with 2k mi on it there was a noise changing from 1st to 2nd, at first the dealership told me it was "typical", but after I reached about 5kmi I took it in and they replaced the transmission under warranty. It still made a little noise, but was noticeably better.

Now about 15k mi (and 3 years) later with around 20k mi on the car I've lost 2nd gear, it started slipping out at first when under too much power, now it slips out under any power. It'll stay in 2nd gear if I put it in and don't give it any gas, but as soon as I touch the throttle it pops out.

I went to the local Lotus dealership (Park Place, Bellevue WA) and asked for an estimate to replace a transmission. This was without the car, so they didn't actually get a chance to see what was wrong yet. Looking up the price in their computer they gave me a rough estimate of about $5500 to replace it with a refurbished transmission.

That seems a little high for a refurbished unit given that the last time they did this it only lasted ~15k miles.

Are there any options out there for an actual upgrade so that the gears would work, you know, like every other manual car I've driven in the past 30 years?

I guess I'm just looking for options, and spending over 5k just to get back to status quo seems like a lot.

·
Registered
846 Posts
You can get a brand new gearbox from MWR for about $2500, one with "better" gears goes for about twice that.
It's not the hardest job in the world to do, can do with motor in...

If you're looking for someone to do the job, let me know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts