The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched both keys and immobilzer and couldn't really figure out a definate answer besides tow to the dealer. I am in isla vista , ca rite now and I'm visiting from Apu. I looked everywhere i must have been drinking too much or something but i cant find them and the spare i lost a while ago and never made a copy like an idiot. I am really freaking out : / if there is some secret way you have to pm me whatever works thanks everyone. - andrew (sorry I'm on my iPhone )

·
Registered
807 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Nothing good can come of this...

My advice, call the dealer and see what your options are. Best hurry before they close the service dept. for the weekend.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
I was gonna post the same thing but then thought no dealer would probably give this info over the phone unless they knew you. IF there is even a way to open your car with no key. Your only option may be a new lock set which will take a few weeks to come in.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called and they want me to fork over 1100 for new locks and keys there has to be another way

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
How else do you expect to open and start your car? When I had issues with my ignition lock, the locksmith wouldn't even come out once they heard Lotus.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I have my spare at home but the immobilizer is in half battery less I'm going to get it overnighted but what is the battery for it I know it's small and where could I get one? Sorry for the rookie questions

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
'06+ is CR2032. Not sure about '05. You can get the battery at any electronics store like Radio Shack. Or really any store. Last one I bought was at the drug store Rite-Aid.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
'06+ is CR2032. Not sure about '05. You can get the battery at any electronics store like Radio Shack.
'05 and '06 use the same battery - CR2032 (they use the same alarm fob). The CR2032 is a very common battery and any department store will have them.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
"The transmitters are powered by a long life 3V Lithium battery, type CR2032"

I'm slow today. :D

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
You may need to re-synchronise the remote too.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Here is an option that may work for you with the locks and ignition. Any decent locksmith can make a key for a lock even if you dont have the key, but the trick is getting one of the locks to them so they can make the key. The easiest lock to remove on the Elise is the one on the trunk lid. The problem is this lock assemby can only be accessed with the engine lid opened. Now, if you have been reading the posts here long enough, you know there is a very simple way to jimmy the trunk lid and pop it open. Once the lid is open, remove the lock assembly from the underside of the lid and take it to a locksmith. With the lock cylinder in his hands he should be able to quickly make you a key and because all the lock cylinders on your Lotus use the same key, you should be able to use this key to turn on the ignition......of course, this assumes you get your other alarm remote in hand to turn off the alarm/immobilizer.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Run really fast and hit the car hard enough to trip the inertia switch. That will unlock the car.

Or call a locksmith.

As far as getting the car to then start, call a thief.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I will definitely learn from this and hide a key. There are ways to do it properly. One way is to find a place like behind the license plate and PAINT the key into place with that dip stuff you use on hand tools. You can dig it out with a screw driver if you know it is there.

Also, I'll never give someone I am dating a key. They go psycho and it is $1100 to stop them from having access.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
you obviously need the key - with that you can start the car if you have the alarm code. search for resynching the fob - there is a long thread on it (sorry don't have time to do it now)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks everyone my spare is coming tomorrow by noon and I'm crossing my fingers the fob will work I hope it's no more than a new battery. How can I tell what the alarm code is and what do I do with it ? I will look at that thread thanks

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
You might want to take it easy on the absinthe from now on :huh:

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
thanks everyone my spare is coming tomorrow by noon and I'm crossing my fingers the fob will work I hope it's no more than a new battery. How can I tell what the alarm code is and what do I do with it ? I will look at that thread thanks
Here is the thread that describes a fob sync: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/how-program-key-fob-17358/. I doubt you will need it though unless the battery in your fob has gone completely dead. Usually swapping in a new battery does not cause the fob to lose its sync as long as you do it quickly. Your alarm code is on a small tag about the size of a business card that came with your car documents and is usually in a pocket in the owner's manual folder/case. The tag will have 4 digits on it and this is your alarm code. If I remember correctly the code can also be entered by using the key in the ignition as described in the thread link above to deactivate the alarm/immobilizer in the case of lost alarm fobs. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts