The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
Well Im sure Im not the only person who have done this in the past. I did some quick searching and wanted to confirm some information before making another purchase. I recently lost my Gas cap to my 2006 Lotus Elise and the check engine light came on, More then likely for a Fuel leak. I got a replacement cap with a key figuring that would shut it off even after erasing the codes it returned. This light came on the moment my cap was lost and I had quite a history with the vehicle. It seems that a few uses have used a "Stant" brand cap that has resolved this issue for them but the thread was 8 years old and I was hoping someone could send me an updated link so I may order one. I do not to select the wrong replacement once more and burn time/money hoping the light will turn off if someone here already knows a Autozone goto that will for sure solve the issue if it is indeed the cap.
Any input is appreciated!! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Hi Everyone,
Well Im sure Im not the only person who have done this in the past. I did some quick searching and wanted to confirm some information before making another purchase. I recently lost my Gas cap to my 2006 Lotus Elise and the check engine light came on, More then likely for a Fuel leak. I got a replacement cap with a key figuring that would shut it off even after erasing the codes it returned. This light came on the moment my cap was lost and I had quite a history with the vehicle. It seems that a few uses have used a "Stant" brand cap that has resolved this issue for them but the thread was 8 years old and I was hoping someone could send me an updated link so I may order one. I do not to select the wrong replacement once more and burn time/money hoping the light will turn off if someone here already knows a Autozone goto that will for sure solve the issue if it is indeed the cap.
Any input is appreciated!! Thank you!
The replacement part that I used was a Stant 10851.
Later,
Eldon

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,469 Posts
I have the Stant 10521, which is the locking version. Never had an issue with it.

San

·
Registered
872 Posts
I can be another to confirm the 10512 works. It fits fine and the door will close. Just don't lose the key! I prefer a non locking gas cap actually. If you go to PartCat , then select the Buyers Guide tab, and then enter 10512 for the Part # you will see there are 4 pages of other cars which use the same gas cap. Might be a better choice. I remember lots of people saying if you get any gas cap for the 2004 - 2008 Jaguar S or X types they will fit. Good luck...

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,469 Posts
I can be another to confirm the 10512 works. It fits fine and the door will close. Just don't lose the key! I prefer a non locking gas cap actually. If you go to PartCat , then select the Buyers Guide tab, and then enter 10512 for the Part # you will see there are 4 pages of other cars which use the same gas cap. Might be a better choice. I remember lots of people saying if you get any gas cap for the 2004 - 2008 Jaguar S or X types they will fit. Good luck...
Whoa, you're saying 10512, and I said 10521. Those aren't the same.

San

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
From the GGLC parts web page:

Non-Locking Fuel/Gas Cap Stant 10851 from cars: Ford Transit Connect, Volvo C30, Mazda 5, Mazda 3, Jaguar S-Type & Jaguar X-Type
Locking Fuel/Gas Cap Stant 10521 from cars: Ford Transit Connect, Volvo C30, Mazda 5, Mazda 3, Jaguar S-Type & Jaguar X-Type

·
Registered
872 Posts
Whoa, you're saying 10512, and I said 10521. Those aren't the same.

San
You are absolutely correct. The one I ordered from Amazon was Stant 10521. Thanks for the catch. I confimed that 10851 is the non-locking version of 10521 and fits our cars.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I put my gas cap key on a lanyard attached on the prop rod for engine cover so I don't misplace it.

Tommy

Reactions: StressCraxx

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I'm glad that you have a specific model and part number. That is always the best approach.

Many years ago I tried swapping the gas caps between my 1986 Toyota Tercel and my 2009 Lotus Elise. I ran the Elise like that for a month or two without any codes popping up. So there are probably many gas cap types that will work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts