The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seemed to have misplaced one of the 4 nuts that attach the ECU to firewall. Does anybody know what size and type of nut these are? Thanks!

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
I seemed to have misplaced one of the 4 nuts that attach the ECU to firewall. Does anybody know what size and type of nut these are? Thanks!
Take one of the others off and take it to the hardware store. They'll know in a hearbeat. You need to go there to buy a replacement anyway. Buy an extra one as they'll be all of a couple of pennies anyway.

San

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take one of the others off and take it to the hardware store. They'll know in a hearbeat. You need to go there to buy a replacement anyway. Buy an extra one as they'll be all of a couple of pennies anyway.

San
Already tried that. Went to my local Home Depot and was told it was a 12-24 which didn't turn out to fit. So now I am hoping the Lotus community can help me so I can just walk in and buy it.

·
7,598 Posts
Already tried that. Went to my local Home Depot and was told it was a 12-24 which didn't turn out to fit. So now I am hoping the Lotus community can help me so I can just walk in and buy it.
OK. Take one of the other nuts and find a bolt/fastener it threads to so you know you have the right one. Then buy a couple of nuts that thread to that same bolt/fastener.

I always take either a nut or bolt with me so I know it's the right one. Then tell the manager of the Home Depot what a dumbass the person that "helped" you was.

San

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. Take one of the other nuts and find a bolt/fastener it threads to so you know you have the right one. Then buy a couple of nuts that thread to that same bolt/fastener.

I always take either a nut or bolt with me so I know it's the right one. Then tell the manager of the Home Depot what a dumbass the person that "helped" you was.

San
And if I have to do that again then I will. However, I'm fairly sure there are a number of people on here that could just tell me what it is and save time. If that doesn't work then back to Home Depot I go. :D

·
7,598 Posts
I didn't see the nut listed on Lotus Garage. I didn't spend too much time on it though.

You want the nut, why take the chance someone here doesn't know what size it is either? You have everything you need already and still have to go back to Home Depot to get the right part anyway. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

San

·
Registered
959 Posts
12-24? That's quite an odd size. Plus shouldn't it be metric anyway?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
12-24? That's quite an odd size. Plus shouldn't it be metric anyway?
I have no idea. It is safe to say the guy I talked to had no idea what he was talking about.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
12-24 is common, just a course thread #12. Under 1/4" goes by number vs size. (don't ask me why, it's dumb if you ask me)

Fine thread would be a 12-32.

The 12-24 is too big or too small?

6mm would be about the closest in metric #12 is .216", 6mm would be .236"

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
They're M6x1.0...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
told it was a 12-24 which didn't turn out to fit.
Lol, no. Nothing in that engine bay is going to be America (SAE) size! :no:

Go to Ace Hardware they have an amazing metric selection. Get some that have the nylon inserts in the end, They are called nylon locking nuts. The people there should be able to point you in the right direction. Thats what I have on mine.

Loewe's and Home Depot have crap for metric. I got probably a dozen screw/bolts from Ace Hardware while putting my car back together (don't tell Phil that though). They even have the little ones that hold the under tray and diffuser on.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol, no. Nothing in that engine bay is going to be America (SAE) size! :no:

Go to Ace Hardware they have an amazing metric selection. Get some that have the nylon inserts in the end, They are called nylon locking nuts. The people there should be able to point you in the right direction. Thats what I have on mine.

Loewe's and Home Depot have crap for metric. I got probably a dozen screw/bolts from Ace Hardware while putting my car back together (don't tell Phil that though). They even have the little ones that hold the under tray and diffuser on.
I figured this much, but I guess I was giving the guy there the benefit of the doubt. I just handed them to nut and said "What size is this?" and he told me what it was (incorrectly).

By the way, one of my coworkers saw what I believe was your car last week around Arlington. He said he had to do a double take because he thought it was me! I guess we are sort of twinkies here in the DFW area. :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
What you really need to be identical to the stock piece is a nylon self-locking nut. Metric seems to be a little tough to get in most american hardware stores. I haven't seen a lot of nylon self-lockers used in automotive, but you can hit up your local honda dealer and spec the nut that holds the ECU on for a 1992 civic CX. It's a nice flanged nut that does fit nicely and will probably be far more available than the factory OE replacement.

-Michael

1 - 15 of 15 Posts