The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was heading to the mountains today and experienced a loss of power while driving. I have limited diagnostic/ technical knowledge so excuse me if i dont use the correct terminology, etc.

Heres what happened:

Conditions: Wet roads, fog, 70 degrees, full tank of gas

course of events: Driving uphill on a twisty mountain road. Was only going around 25mph in 2nd gear while i made it through a poulated area, when i got to a clear spot, i switched off, or attempted to switch off the LSD ( i was still going around 20mph or so when i did this, looking back, not sure if your even suppose to do that while moving). I continued on moving at a faster pace, and while on a reasonable straight i was steady at about 4000RPMs when i started to feel a drag in power, almost like a feeling of running out of gas. I downshifted and attempted to accelerate, and the car continued to lose power. I looked down and noticed the check engine light was on ( i noticed a light turn on momments before, but assumend it was the LSD off indicator, which i now noticed was not lit. it felt as though it was going to come to a stop, so i slowed down and pulled myself off the road. The car didnt make any strange noises, and there was no jolting etc.
Once on the enbankment, the car reved at idle between 2000 and 3000 RPMs. I let it run for 30 seconds or so to see if it would correct itself but it did not.

I turned off the car and looked for leaks, or anything visually wrong, unfortunetly i had just driven through rain so everything was wet.

I waited about 10 minutes or so then tried it again. The car started fine and was at steady idle around 1500 RPMs, but the check engine light remained illuminated. I turned around and headed back down the mountain. THe car drove fine the remaining 30 miles or so to my destination on both back road and highway driving MPHs ranged from 20 -70, and RPMs went up to 6000 or so, no problems. But i am now 200 miles from home or any of my tools/ manuals, etc. and am concerned about the events and the check engine light.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. There is a dealership about 75 miles from hear that i could go to tomorrow on my way back home, but would rather not if not necessary.

Please feel free to call me on my cell at 704.779.7848 or 704.496.3637 if this stands out as something specific or significant. I appreciate anyones help on this.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
Check the fault codes and post them here.....someone will know. ANY dealer or parts store will have an OBD2

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
it sounds like the alternator wires, at least I had the same symptoms at first.

Put a voltmeter on your car while its off. then put the voltmeter on the car when its on. if the voltage is lower when its running its either your main red charge wire is broken, or the three small wires that plug into the alternator are burned up

It will throw 4 different codes if this is it, at least mine did.

·
Registered
357 Posts
How do you turn off the LSD?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did have my AC on earlier but it was not on when I experienced the power loss.

Bout to go get the error codes read now, ill post the here.

Switched off traction control off by the switch on the shift cover

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.