The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share a good car wash I use in Culver City/Marina Del Rey area.

My Exige is currently being used as a daily driver (27MPG!) and I sort of call it my "Smart ForFast"; Just like a Smart car, cept it doesn't suck. As a commuter, it needs to be washed weekly and I needed a fast car wash while running errands on the weekend. I found a place that fits the bill:

- Automated car wash without machines; they have a row of guys with soapy mitts wiping down the cars

- Track low enough to clear the front spoiler (Exige and Elise; stock ride height with no protruding aftermarket "stuff")

- water jets gentle enough not to come through the hardtop or softop

Handy J Hand Wash
12681 W Washington Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90066-2384
Phone: (310) 398-6211

Located right where Washington Blvd and Washington Place break off between Centinela and Lincoln.

They vacuum the car, wipe it down, use a pressure hose to get H2O out of the cracks and do a pretty good job for $12. They have a decent number of people working so they usually get your car cranked out pretty quickly.

The guys are familiar now with how to get in and out of the Lotus and how to start it, though I do have the blinky red light Immobilizer (aka HAL "sorry dave, you need to push the key fob") turned off so you might need to tell them how to start your car.

But the real kicker is that they own an award winning BBQ stand next door where you can have a tri-tip sandwich or smoked chicken and eat it on the rooftop deck while you look down on your car being cleaned.

There's no real alternative for washing it yourself but if you're short on time and if your Lotus is your "normal everyday" car (cuz you've got other cars you wash yourself at home ;)) I highly recommend this place.

from the camera in my phone:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Be careful! I had these guys detail my old Miata before I sold it. They must have used about a gallon of Armorall in the interior it was gooey as hell. The paint had more swirls in it than ever after they were done, really awful. I was selling the car so I was bummed but what was done was done. They also locked the key's in my Mini once leaving me stranded for over an hour while I waited for AAA to come open it. AAA was skeptical if they could open and thought I might have to tow to the dealer, luckily the got it open 30 minutes later. They did give me a free car wash coupon after that incident, I've not used it and won't. I had good experiences with them prior to that but I won't be back, and I wouldn't get near the place with my Elise.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Yes. Go to Fig and 7th in the parking garage off of 7th. There is a great car wash there I use.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
No washes the Lotus but me.

So, one of the guys has a big ring on and.....oooops!

Scratches the sh*t out of your car.

No way. :wallbang:

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't get near the place with my Elise.
sorry to hear about that. yeah, i can only speak to their regular car wash and nothing more... except the bbq rotfl

·
Registered
539 Posts
another car wash option -

I took my old Celica into this place before. They did a pretty good job on the exterior, but the interior was also left a way too sticky with the ton of armor-all they used.

(i have a friend who lives near that car wash, and he's addicted to that bbq place .. i think its called "The Outdoor Grill.")

As far as carwashes go, I had a much better experience with the guys at Mr. Polish in Marina Del Rey.

I took my Elise to them

http://losangeles.citysearch.com/profile/151955/marina_del_rey_ca/mr_polish.html

the dude there told me that they detailed (ronin) Frank's car all the time. so, they knew how to get in and out of the car. And they also know all about the immobilizer.

The only issue with this place is that its about $150 for the basic wash and wax.

Its a good 2nd option for those of us who don't have the space or the time (or the desire) to wash and wax our own cars.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
If you want your car detailed, go to a proper detailer. But for basic car wash and vacuum, these hand wash places are fine. Heck, my time is worth more than the $12 they charge.
I've brought far more expensive cars than the Lotus to various hand washes and never had a problem with any of them. And they always ask if you want Armor All, just say no!

Oh, and Culver City rocks! :coolnana:

·
Registered
817 Posts
I believe it is $15. I usually drop my car off, go to lunch, and then come pick it back up. There are several places around there you can eat at and they validate parking.
Do you know which floor it's on?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
If you want your car detailed, go to a proper detailer. But for basic car wash and vacuum, these hand wash places are fine. Heck, my time is worth more than the $12 they charge.
I've brought far more expensive cars than the Lotus to various hand washes and never had a problem with any of them. And they always ask if you want Armor All, just say no!
hrumph. exactly.

i completely understand people who won't let anyone else touch their Lotus; i have a couple other cars i feel that way about.

But for those of us that drive and use our Lotus as normal cars, we're not looking to keep it a 'concours' winner. with mileage comes normal wear and tear. i don't abuse it and i don't go out of my way to put damage on it but i'm not going to commit ritualistic seppuku every time i get a stone chip on the rocker panel either. and for us, a normal car wash is fine. one that can physically accomodate a Lotus is even better.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Have not washed mine yet, maybe I will before LOG but then again probably not. As long as it clean inside I really don't care how dirty the outside is.

Just waiting for a good rain to wash it :clap:

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I use Royal Car Wash on La Cienega in Beverly Hills. (North of Beverly)

(The owner has a SY Elise.)

On any given Saturday, the place is filled with Lambos, Ferraris, Rolls Royces etc...

I've been going there for years and never had a problem. They're very good with exotics. All towels are fresh and are kept on the car and never put on the ground. The never use air freshener and don't Armor-all the hell out of the car. They're a full service car wash and will also do extensive detailing.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts