The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
time to start the real detailing...up on the lift and off with the wheels, go after engine compartment, interior and so on. The Elise is now lookin REAL fine..and I am pooped! So for tonight just a few pics I thought would be of interest...the suspension on this car is flat ass impressive...you won't see anything like this south of a 360 or F50 Ferrari....
Front set up...

Rear set up...

This is just so pure Lotus engineering...and the engine...know it is a Yamaha/Toyota/Lotus venture but is a nice runner...and some details..the CAI on this car many rice crowd would die for..pic not the best but this is the view in the large intake just behind the driver door...the round tube is the cold air intake to the airbox..perfect spot

And finally a just for fun blur pic of interior...

Ellen and I are very happy campers with the Elise...but more later

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Tremendous post - first time we've seen this kind of detail. Amazing and impressive - THANK YOU!!!:clap:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Awesome pictures, thanks for posting these! Nothing wrong with all the nice exteriour shots, but it's great to see something different. And I like the look of a beautiful suspension. :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
michaelTT, thanks for the great pics. Seems strange that Lotus went with the brake lines they did instead of stainless steel braid, but I guess they didn't want the liability/maintenance issues. They could have used stainless steel lines sheathed with heat-shrink tubing, though...

Slightly OT: what kind of jack is that, and does it require you to remove the underbody?

Jim

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
jtanner said:
michaelTT, thanks for the great pics. Seems strange that Lotus went with the brake lines they did instead of stainless steel braid, but I guess they didn't want the liability/maintenance issues. They could have used stainless steel lines sheathed with heat-shrink tubing, though...

Slightly OT: what kind of jack is that, and does it require you to remove the underbody?

Jim
What is the liability/maintenance issue with stainless steel braid brake lines?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hmm.. You don't really want to lift the car this way. I can see that the engine undertray is already bending. Not good..

You can lift it safely on the chassis beams under the doors and on the transverse beam under the fuel tank shear panel (NOT THE TANK ITSELF!) and on the rearmost chassis mounting points for the wishbones. (where the diffuser main bolts are also attached)

See your owner's manual for the correct spots.

In your photo it would for instance be the alu beam that's running front-back at the right, just where the yellow fibreglass of the door sill ends.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all...I will start shooting more details pics>>>

jtanner said:

Jim
Jim...
First I have the new Elise accessory book and it shows amongst other things Samco Red Silicone induction hose kit (I know I will be getting this...), Level I sport exhaust (notes it as "track use only" though), interior dress up pieces (definitely doing the alloy/carbon fiber with Lotus logo shift knob...very nice), bulb & fuse upgrade kit and Goodridge braided SS hose kit...BUT at this time not for the Fed Elise :(

The jack is a SNAP ON hydraulic sissor type..very nice unit. Concerning jacking up the ELISE... must and I mean MUST follow exactly where the jack points are shown in manual AND also shown on chassis with stickers...wrong spot and you will punch thru the under carriage flat sheathing... BTW the chassis is so rigid you can actually balance the entire car on the two mid rear jack points and balance the car (think folcrum point)...chassis work is equally as impressive as the suspension.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Arno said:
Hmm.. You don't really want to lift the car this way. I can see that the engine undertray is already bending. Not good..

You can lift it safely on the chassis beams under the doors and on the transverse beam under the fuel tank shear panel (NOT THE TANK ITSELF!) and on the rearmost chassis mounting points for the wishbones. (where the diffuser main bolts are also attached)

See your owner's manual for the correct spots.

In your photo it would for instance be the alu beam that's running front-back at the right, just where the yellow fibreglass of the door sill ends.

Bye, Arno.
No...you are mis reading the pic... the arms extended are not the jack points...pads are on the correct spot and there is no bending. I assure you that the jacking was most correctly done

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I have the accessories catalog too...the red samco hoses are not available for the 111R yet. But flipping through the pamphlet I can see many bits for the car which have not yet been discussed on this forum.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stan...yep you be correct>>>

I read the caption under the hose pic "hose kit 1.8 VVC" and assumed it was for our motor...of cours should have looked at the previous page matirx and seen it was not listed for the Elise USA (did you see it says '04- instead of '05- :rolleyes:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chris>>> dealer handed me the accessory book>>>

zvezdah1 said:
Stan,
Where do we get the elusive accessories book.
Chris

Its 43 page long and of course includes all the E models and 340R models...some nice competition seats in the catalog...but not for the Fed Elise.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
michaelTT said:
No...you are mis reading the pic... the arms extended are not the jack points...pads are on the correct spot and there is no bending. I assure you that the jacking was most correctly done
Hmm.. But then you are using points 'A' and 'B' (front chassis beam and under doors) because you have left the undertray and diffuser in place, so you can't be using 'C' and 'D'.

This is possible, but be very careful because the car *can* tip over backwards if only 'A' and 'B' are used. Some people tie a bucket with sand to the front tow hook if they do this as a counter-weight.

The balance is usually pretty fine, so if you were to take off the front wheels it would reduce the weight and tip over backwards off the lift.. This has happened in europe several times.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Arno said:
Hmm.. But then you are using points 'A' and 'B' (front chassis beam and under doors) because you have left the undertray and diffuser in place, so you can't be using 'C' and 'D'.

This is possible, but be very careful because the car *can* tip over backwards if only 'A' and 'B' are used. Some people tie a bucket with sand to the front tow hook if they do this as a counter-weight.

The balance is usually pretty fine, so if you were to take off the front wheels it would reduce the weight and tip over backwards off the lift.. This has happened in europe several times.

Bye, Arno.
EXACTLY!... I should have made that clearer... the A & B jack points represent the 'four corners' of the chassis tub and are the strongest sites overall BUT the balance point of the car is the line drawn from jack point B to jack point B... thus you can literally with no pressure at all tilt car back and forward... thus my only taking the car up to a point where wheels were couple inches from floor and always having a someone at nose just to make sure no tilting occurred... thanks for having me clarify this issue...I am very cautious with jacking/lifting up cars and cringe at seeing some jack up a car and without jack stands work under it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts