The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
fitment can be a huge issue when you buy from mass production companies. Why buy from china when theres plenty of carbon sellers here like British Racing Group and RLS?
Mmmhmmm. Great point. I forgot to mention I fully support the small entrepreneurs on here!
Also, I feel like there should be more aluminum parts for our cars..

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I have seen alibaba can be a VERY sketchy place to buy from...just saying.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I'd rather spend a bit more money on a quality part.

I've purchased products from Reverie, RLS, HKFEVER, Tecnocraft, GBComposites and Sector 111. I haven't had an issue with any of them. I would purchase products from them again.

There's also something to be said for customer service and service after the sale.

San

·
Premium Member
260 Posts

·
Terry
2,222 Posts
last time another member posted something like this got his post deleted within a few hours due to complaints of vendors. I have a feeling they all share the same source that's why when they saw these pricing (pretty much their cost), the freaked out and tell the mods to delete it.

speaking of customer service, the carbon fiber vendor on ebay has great customer service.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd rather spend a bit more money on a quality part.

I've purchased products from Reverie, RLS, HKFEVER, Tecnocraft, GBComposites and Sector 111. I haven't had an issue with any of them. I would purchase products from them again.

There's also something to be said for customer service and service after the sale.

San
HKFEVER just posted a thread about how he is ordering inexpensive carbon fiber Exige hatches from China. Raved about the quality. Kind of why I thought about this.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
last time another member posted something like this got his post deleted within a few hours due to complaints of vendors. I have a feeling they all share the same source that's why when they saw these pricing (pretty much their cost), the freaked out and tell the mods to delete it.

speaking of customer service, the carbon fiber vendor on ebay has great customer service.
Interesting.

·
Registered
505 Posts
fitment can be a huge issue when you buy from mass production companies. Why buy from china when theres plenty of carbon sellers here like British Racing Group and RLS?
because you are most likely buying the same item where they get it without the overheads ;)

rls website,and i quote
"yes, these are imported. But, they are the finest quality imports available"

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts

Interesting.
Actually the thread was deleted because a confidential price list was posted - one that was not available on the internet through a search but had been provided by the manufacturer to a wholesaler.

because you are most likely buying the same item where they get it without the overheads ;)
and without the backup support...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Let's try and stay away from bashing vendors on here guys. I don't see it as equitable, and they aren't here to defend themselves.

Plus, some people are making assumptions without any evidence. What is true for one is not necessarily true for all.

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts

rls website,and i quote
"yes, these are imported. But, they are the finest quality imports available"
you dont know that for a fact. We work with a bunch of suppliers which are in Asia and Europe for all sorts of different manufacturing purposes. Most of those companies on alibaba only sell to shops and not individuals. If they sell it on aliexpress you'll be paying a lot to have one piece shipped. In the end you wont be saving a whole lot.

·
Registered
945 Posts
In my experience (not Lotus stuff, but it's all pretty similar) buying direct from the manufacturer on AliBaba is a lot of logistics work, and by the time you're done you still might not have what you wanted.

Vendors provide value even if they're just re-selling this stuff by assuming the risk that things aren't quite right, working with manufacturers to fix their molds, and dealing with the logistics.

It is fun to hunt down where things come from and buy them there, but in my experience it usually doesn't result in a substantial savings for Qty 1 once you've dealt with the communication, freight logistics, paperwork, and so on.

Some of the Chinese manufacturers will direct-ship 1 item as a "sample" for a few dollars if you ask nicely, though. That can be a good way to get stuff for a low price, but many manufacturers won't do it for you because they can tell you aren't really interested in buying in quantity.

eBay can be a happy medium - the seller deals with shipping and PayPal forces them to be pretty generous about refunds and returns if the part doesn't fit right. Sadly for these cars it doesn't seem like there are a lot of direct-ship carbon parts available on eBay.

·
Registered
903 Posts
not sure either, under the "details" part there's a website but it's not even a hyperlink so you have to copy/paste to open it.

My wife buys wholesale stuff to sew and monogram and a lot of times she receives the wrong pieces or the quality is garbage - so it's trial and error for her like I'm sure it is for a lot of people who are "vendors" and resell some of the Chinese made stuff. You're taking the risk of poor fitment, a wrong description suggesting it will work on your year model, poor quality, etc.

I've got a section on my blog where I list vendors I've done business with or someone I know personally has done business with and the exchange has left me (or them) happy enough to do business with them again in the future. I personally enjoy doing business with vendors from here or people who are personally invested in the Lotus community. The reason is because feedback and communication is the most important part of buying something for me.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Here's my advice with a situation I am dealing with right now.

Buy from either a manufacturer or a vendor that is located in the same country as you. Once you send your money across the border, you loose ALOT of protections and options that you have as a consumer here in America.

Now if your willing to take the hit, then that is fine. But if your going to spend a lot of money then there is benefit to having legal protections.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Some of the Chinese manufacturers will direct-ship 1 item as a "sample" for a few dollars if you ask nicely, though. That can be a good way to get stuff for a low price, but many manufacturers won't do it for you because they can tell you aren't really interested in buying in quantity.

eBay can be a happy medium - the seller deals with shipping and PayPal forces them to be pretty generous about refunds and returns if the part doesn't fit right. Sadly for these cars it doesn't seem like there are a lot of direct-ship carbon parts available on eBay.
1. My main business is in stationery, from time to time I get emails that asking for samples from different countries, some countries are very poor..... Humm, I should ask them for courier charges then :D

2, eBay is pretty good place to shop, depends on what items :cool:

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
By the way, try TAOBAO, kind of Chinese eBay.

Lots of things, a whole nation's factories, trading firms... right in front of your screen.

In HK, we pay them at 7-11. And goods delivery to your door front quick :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts