The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have decided that I am definantly getting a lotus elise or exige. My budget is around 35,000 so I'm thinking a 05 or 06 will be best for me (what can I get for that price). Since its probably going to be a non supercharged lotus, are there some good after market superchargers. Also what are some of yall's first upgrades that you definantly think were worth it. Also the lotus dealer I talked to today said that you get a oil change ever 7,500 miles and that cost around 150 bucks (is it very hard to do yourself?), and that ther is a extensive 30,000 mile check up and 60,000 mile check up. How much do these check ups rang in price?

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
I don't think the car really "needs" any serious upgrades. I previously owned a Miata (great car), but it really needed some attention to power delivery and cosmetics to make it the kind of car I wanted. With the Elise it is mostly little things like replacing the RV mirror, etc. (I'm finding i want better tires too...), but otherwise, the car is performance and appearance ready off-the-shelf.

My son just did our first oil change yesterday, and aside from the extra time required to pull off the lower panel, it was straight-forward and easy to do on your own.

My advise is to buy, if you can, from an established L.T. member advertising here in the Lotus for Sale section. You can cut out the middle man and get to know the previous owner before you buy. These people tend to be true Lotus enthusiasts who care for their cars.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...buy an '05 elise for under $30k and take that extra $5k to spend on the letsla shifter kit, a cam-change retune, and a year's worth of track time and consumables...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah id love to buy one off of a member here but im having a hard time finding anyone near Virginia or South carolina. If anyone knows anyone in these areas let me know. I went to the lotus dealorship in richmond and they wouldnt even let me test drive the 08 and elise they had there because they knew I was looking for a used one and said you can only test drive them if you wanted that specific elise.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
... and a year's worth of track time and consumables...
+ instruction = best first mod advice. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah id love to buy one off of a member here but im having a hard time finding anyone near Virginia or South carolina. If anyone knows anyone in these areas let me know. I went to the lotus dealorship in richmond and they wouldnt even let me test drive the 08 and elise they had there because they knew I was looking for a used one and said you can only test drive them if you wanted that specific elise.
Are you located in Va? I dealt with Spencer at Lotus of Durham (NC) Lotus of Durham | Used Cars Durham | Raleigh Used Cars | Durham Used Cars | Lotus Dealer Greensboro | North Carolina New Lotus Dealership. I'm not sure how up to date their website is but they let me test drive a used one with no problems and Spencer showed me what it could do on a test drive. His username here is Nthuzast07. You could send him a pm if you wanted.

You can find some deals here in the for sale section if you are patient. I know I've seen several pop up from time to time from Va, NC, and SC. Good luck!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Welcome :wave:, and good luck in your search.

are there some good after market superchargers.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160/overview-supercharge-turbocharge-solutions-48412/

Also what are some of yall's first upgrades that you definantly think were worth it.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/list-top-mods-you-would-consider-cant-live-without-55470/
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/what-your-favorite-mods-49581/
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/new-elise-necessary-mods-39461/

There is 5 more pages with the word "mods" in the thread title...
LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community - Search Results

Also the lotus dealer I talked to today said that you get a oil change ever 7,500 miles and that cost around 150 bucks (is it very hard to do yourself?),
No. Very Easy. Get the Under Tray Removal Tool, some Rhino Ramps (though with the UTR Tool, you can change the oil without putting the car on ramps or jack stands), then read the Uberpost and the DIY Oil Change page.

ther is a extensive 30,000 mile check up and 60,000 mile check up. How much do these check ups rang in price?
Haven't done either of these, so I can't directly answer your question...but, to that end, you could get the Service Manual and study up on the required maintenance for these service intervals. Do what you can yourself and let the dealer do the rest. Or, find a competent mechanic - check the Region-Specific areas.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
I bought mine from a guy in Hollywood... I live in Wisconsin! If you do due diligence and really communicate, you don't have to find a car in your back yard. This leaves you with MANY more options.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts