The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the official Lotus sourced oil accumulator that was sold as an accessory, where does it plumb in? Is there a sandwich plate between the filter and the existing oil cooler thermostat sandwich plate? That is, two sandwich plates stacked? I see a third port on the existing sandwich plate, on the left side. It appears to be a plug. Is that involved?

I am planning on adding an accumulator and I'm wondering where to plumb it in. I think the easiest would be to stack the sandwich plates, but if there is a better solution, I'm open to suggestions. For the accumulator location, I'm thinking just over the diffuser, either in front or behind the rear wall at the bottom. Looks to have plenty of space on my car. If behind the rear wall, I could even get to the air pressure port pretty easy. If in front of it, I might have to hook up some type of remote shrader valve, like truck tires use, as that would be just under the drive shaft and over the bottom panel.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I believe it tees into the existing oil cooler plumbing off of the stock single sandwich plate.

The third "port" on the sandwich plate is the thermostat.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you T'ed it into the existing oil cooler line, wouldn't it not provide pressure on a cold start? Generally, those oil thermostats block off the cooler lines when the temp is below the opening threshold. I suppose some might get by, but I think if you used a separate dedicated sandwich plate for the accumulator, you would get full oil galley access all the time, including on a cold start. Personally, I think the main advantage to an accumulator is the cold start pre-lubing capability. A motor has many cold starts and only a few track days, at least in my case.

·
Registered
945 Posts
If you T'ed it into the existing oil cooler line, wouldn't it not provide pressure on a cold start? Generally, those oil thermostats block off the cooler lines when the temp is below the opening threshold. I suppose some might get by, but I think if you used a separate dedicated sandwich plate for the accumulator, you would get full oil galley access all the time, including on a cold start. Personally, I think the main advantage to an accumulator is the cold start pre-lubing capability. A motor has many cold starts and only a few track days, at least in my case.
It's T'd into the return line, which I don't think is blocked by the thermostat.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's helpful. Thanks, JWA.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I've been thinkin' about this... Has anyone mounted the accumulator in the nose? The oil cooler hose runs right there. Run a tire Shrader valve extender to some convenient place. Less weight on the back is good. Doesn't take up valuable boot space.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts