The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey since I'm considering getting another dog, I'd like any information at all on how a dog will accept riding in a lotus with stage 2 exhaust. In my Mustang convertible daily driver sometimes I have been able to ride with a dog in it even with the top down with another person-obviously not in a Lotus that way. Anyway, I wouldn't mind some pictures or stories related to this. I have yet to decide how large of a dog i'm getting anyway.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My (small) dog has ridden in mine behind the seats. She just fits back there and will rest her head on the space between the seats--nice when I have a passenger as well. I don't think she likes it too much, though, and she's reluctant to jump in or out of the car because of the wide, slippery sills and low seats. She's a little thing, only 11.6 lbs.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Stock exhaust, Mini-poodle mix (about 18-20lbs). She can sleep for several hours at a time in the Lotus. She sleeps on a pillow that is set half on my wife's lap and half on the sill.

I'd say, compared to our other cars, she likes riding in the lotus the most because the front window is low enough she can look out straight ahead, it probably reduces car sickness too compared to looking out the side window. The air vent can blow right in her face too if needed (i.e. like sticking her head out the window :clap:)

My dog is pretty old now so she has become more laid back over the years. But I'd suspect this would still work in her more feisty years too.

She has never responded to the drone of the exhaust. So if your S.O. is willing, it works out quite well.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Stage 2 exhaust.

I'm up to the limiter 10 or so times per day, 70-90mph, depending on traffic.

Our bullmastiff rides just fine. She is about 80lb right now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My ever-so-manly Chihuahua loves to ride in the elise. She's only 3.5lbs and she really likes the stage 2 sound and zipping around town. She always curls up behind my head or gets up on the door sill to see whats happening on the street. Go for it, dog just want to hang out with you. My cats are a different story.

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
I take my dog everywhere ( a 20 lb. rescue JRT terrier...

named "Pip") did not get him until he was 2 and he had a multitude of issues from major neglect. Now a first class sweetheart(most of the time). In the Lotus, I put painters tape over the inside leather on his side and a few pillows on the seat and a folded hefty beach towel along the rail and fit a sheet over all. He could not be happier. Take his many tags off on a long trip and stop every 2 hours or so. Favorite trip Carmel to Mendicino, especially off the 101 at Cloverdale to Mendicino--about 70 miles with a perfectly smooth 2 lanes of twisties with no traffic and a bonus of driving through 10 miles of protected redwoods before the coast. His head is out the window the whole 70 miles with his nose in "constant information gathering mode". Having said all of the above--it is not a good idea to subject you dog to too much hearing stress-- so just take it easy. Good luck to you and the lucky dog that becomes your pal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey since I'm considering getting another dog, I'd like any information at all on how a dog will accept riding in a lotus with stage 2 exhaust. In my Mustang convertible daily driver sometimes I have been able to ride with a dog in it even with the top down with another person-obviously not in a Lotus that way. Anyway, I wouldn't mind some pictures or stories related to this. I have yet to decide how large of a dog i'm getting anyway.
I have a lotus with a stage 2 exhaust. It's the only car I take my dog in (a ~50lb german shepherd mix). It works better than other cars for a variety reasons.
-The low seats are helpful. She can sit in a seat with her paws on the floor.
-There is little room to run around while driving. With my RX-8, she'll sometimes try to run in the backseat or stand between the seats.
-The flat surface near the windows works well for standing and sticking head out (I have hard top).

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Here's a pic I took up pxlpush's dog "Bob" at a Sunday morning coffee meet. Sean I can take this off if you want.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
My ever-so-manly Chihuahua loves to ride in the elise. She's only 3.5lbs and she really likes the stage 2 sound and zipping around town. She always curls up behind my head or gets up on the door sill to see whats happening on the street. Go for it, dog just want to hang out with you. My cats are a different story.
Great photo - beautiful dog :) (but she needs her claws clipped)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I don't know his name but there is an Elise owner in Maine who drives to LOG - including Colorado - with his dog (I think a Lab or golden retriever) in the passenger seat.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
i've driven with my 70 lb (small) rottie. it attach his leash to the seatbelt and he hangs his head out the window. he seems to do fine with my 6" larini exhaust.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I drove with a miniature beagle a bunch of times while dogsitting a couple years ago. He insisted on laying in my lap and shaking. He did not like it one bit. It all depends on the dog.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Kyle. Everyone knows James Bond. The black Lab that wins most miles driven to LOG every year. There is also Sue's blind poodle from N.J.that is at most LOGs.They are excelant co-drivers. James Bond must have more miles than most Lotus owners.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts