The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really interested in getting a manual car soon, but I'm not sure if I should get a cheaper car first and practice on that or save up my money and wait till I can get a lotus.

I was thinking of getting a Chrysler crossfire, I can get a manual one used for like 14,000, but I'm thinking of just saving up till I can afford a pre-owned lotus.

What do you all think? Thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think if you even considered the Chrysler Crossfire as being a viable car to buy, the Lotus is not for you.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
there is a similiar thread to this not too far back... instead of the usual "search" spam I will just tell you the consensus was that they are extremely easy to drive manuals...

but a crossfire?:no::thwack:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I drove a crossfire once.

It was as much fun as having my legs cut off with a bone saw.

Seriously, if you like the Crossfire you are not a very astute sports car enthusiast. That thing is for wannabees.

Just save the money and get a Lotus.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I was thinking of getting a Chrysler crossfire, I can get a manual one used for like 14,000, but I'm thinking of just saving up till I can afford a pre-owned lotus.
I think if you even considered the Chrysler Crossfire as being a viable car to buy, the Lotus is not for you.
but a crossfire?:no::thwack:
^^^^^ rotfl Coming from a guy driving a Yaris (at least for the moment) rotfl
Seriously, if you like the Crossfire you are not a very astute sports car enthusiast. That thing is for wannabees.
Cr*p. Get whatever car you want and can afford. H*ll, get a TransAm if you want it. Or a Yaris. Who gives a rat's arse what you drive as long as you are happy with it. Personally I don't like the Crossfire, but that's just my opinion. I also don't like the Enzo or the Gallardo, again just my opinion. If you like it, want it and can afford it, get it.

Having said that I think the Elise/Exige are very easy manual trans to learn on, but again, that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
979 Posts
^^just like he said, barring what car you should actually get...I learned manual on my Elise. Stalled it about once a day for the first week and then got the hang of it. 30K miles on, no problems with the original clutch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah i mean i like the crossfire, but ive been reading it sucks as manual. I'm leaning more towards a used mazda miata, or rx8 or even an old Porsche. I really just want something cheap to learn on so i can save a majority of my money for the lotus once im ready...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
IF you want some thing cheap then look at a early 90's civic or corolla. Drive it for a few months and save your money then get yourself a Lotus.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Learning on the Elise would be a helluva lot easier than me learning on an MGB with worn synchros and a bad clutch when I was 16. Of course, I then learned how to replace a clutch and rebuild a transmission (as well as the rest of the car).

The drivetrain in the Elise is standard Toyota, so learning on them is just like learning on a Celica. Hardest part is learning the clutch release point well enough to smoothly accelerate uphill without burning up the clutch.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I learned to drive on the Lotus. Actually prior to driving it back from the dealership, I have had only 2 hours worth of practice on a friend's civic spanning a 6 month period.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
IF you want some thing cheap then look at a early 90's civic or corolla. Drive it for a few months and save your money then get yourself a Lotus.
What he said. I would imagine that replacing a clutch on an old Civic is much cheaper than doing so on an Elise. When you do buy an Elise, you can probably sell it for what you paid for it or keep it as a daily driver. Also, if you make a mistake in an Elise and run into something such as a wall or another vehicle, the cost of repairs would again be more expensive than in an old Civic.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I was quoted $1000 to replace the clutch in my '90 Civic hatchback. Turned into a DIY PITA.
With $300 oil changes, good luck getting an Elise clutch done for $1000. Also, I imagine it's the PITA DIY job from Hell.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
But my Civic is only worth about $200 .
Which is exactly why that young man needs to learn how on an old Civic instead of a $30k+ Elise!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah im currently in the market for an old civic for under 2k and im gonna sell my old caddy i should actually make a profit! Then I will save every penny for my lotus =)

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
consider

I bought a Crossfire when they first came out, before I got the Elise.

They actually handle VERY nicely, outstanding grip. If you look at older R & T charts the 04 Crossfire actually pulled g's and posted slalom speeds not too far off the Elise.

The main problem is they were not that engaging. Didn't have rack and pinion, but had the Mercedes recriculating ball steering. So the thing held on like a slot car, but just didn't feel like it.

But it was a great cruiser. Better to compare it to a 350Z, Audi TT, or Mazda RX8. It was a tad slower in acceleration than those cars, but easily outhandled them.

The Crossfire SRT6 is probably THE best bargain performance car out there right now. Big horsepower and good handling, and they are being given away in the low/low mid twenties. Supercharged, around 350 hp, about 3000 lbs. Better power to weight than the N/A Elise.

The styling is to taste. Some like it, some hate it. I got it because the rear end reminded me of th '60's era Chevy Cheetah/Bill Thomas sports racer. The front end was/is Sebring bland.

It's a 2 generation old Mercedes SLK engineering platform, with some CLK suspension and brake bits.

The interior is a combo of nice touches and cheap bits. The dash and console shapes came right out of the Mercedes, but the materials were cheaper.

Lots of techno gadgets came standard. But you are right, the 6 speed manual felt like crap...felt like moving a hammer around in a bowl of rocks.

Don't compare to an Elise. It's a way different car. But it is an outstanding street/highway cruiser, and to be honest I got every bit as much attention with it as I've gotten with any of the three Elise's and one Exige I've owned. Sorry guys, just sharing what I've actually experienced as having owned both cars.

There are a few out there doing very well in SCCA autocross, G stock I believe. Not many, but where they are, they do pretty well.

Now, all that said, about the Elise as a starter manual learner. It'll be ok until you screw up on a hill, and either toast the clutch getting up the hill when the light turns green, or when you back into the guy behind you 'cause you don't have your timing down yet. Other than that, go for it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
..... and to be honest I got every bit as much attention with it as I've gotten with any of the three Elise's and one Exige I've owned. Sorry guys, just sharing what I've actually experienced as having owned both cars.

as the guy in the bud light commercial would say...... Dude.

As in... Dude you're joking; right?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts