The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally going to bring my Elise to Lotus so that I can have the oil line recall done.

I have a few concerns since I have not seen too many praises for this dealership.

In the meantime while its there I was planning to have the following done:

1) Have the radiator changed, since this is a front clam-off job I'm worried on the quality of the work.

2) Rear toe link changed out to double shear setup and brace, alignment job.

3) Swap out the standard brake lines for stainless steel lines and have the oem brake pistons swapped out with bwr's steel pistons.

I thought I saw one post that someone here had their Elise's oil line recall done. Were you happy with the work? No issues?

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,110 Posts
I haven't used them for any work, but I did a buy a part from them and met the service manager. Can't remember his name, but I asked him how often they had Elises in and he said they got them pretty regularly, some local owners use them.

I had some work done last fall at another local dealer, I won't mention the place by name, but I didn't have a great experience. The day after I picked the car up, I noticed one of my wheels was pretty badly marred (I had new tires installed). When I called the owner to explain the situation, well, suffice it to say that my expectations weren't met.

I would drive the three hours south to Gator Motorsport in Indianapolis if you want the work done with any peace of mind. Those guys are pros and know our cars well.

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
I'm curious too - I don't have the need for work but would be nice to hear others experiences. Long time ago there was debate on if the oil line recall required removing the clam- they should be able to tell you if it does or not. Its worth the ask, because its the difference between you or lotus paying for labor on clam removal and reinstall. None of the work you've mentioned is that difficult - you can easily check much of it yourself after the fact if you are inclined, either by taking off the belly pan, keeping an eye on your coolant levels, and taking some pictures of the front clam before/after so you can compare the panel gaps after they put it back on.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I live in Virginia and coincidentally I drove 9 hours on Monday to Indianapolis to have Gator Motor Sports install new bushings on my Lotus Elise. These guys are not only a Lotus dealership, but the owner (Young Kim) and parts guy (Dino) drive Elises. Their chief mechanic (Owen) is fantastic. I would not drive 9 hours each way, and spend the night in Indianapolis, if I didn't think these guys were worth the trip. If you are in Chicago, they are less than 3 hours away for you. You could drive there, have the work done, and return to Chicago without even having to spend the night like me :)

·
Lotus Technician
103 Posts
El, hope you are well!! Glenview guys are fantastic, as are the Gator guys. IMO you cant go wrong with either place!!

T.J.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
El, hope you are well!! Glenview guys are fantastic, as are the Gator guys. IMO you cant go wrong with either place!!

T.J.
T.J.!!! Great to hear from you! I am doing good and I hope the same for you my friend!
Cool. If your saying they are good then that's good enough for me! My biggest concern was the front clam coming off for the radiator replacement.

I live in Virginia and coincidentally I drove 9 hours on Monday to Indianapolis to have Gator Motor Sports install new bushings on my Lotus Elise. These guys are not only a Lotus dealership, but the owner (Young Kim) and parts guy (Dino) drive Elises. Their chief mechanic (Owen) is fantastic. I would not drive 9 hours each way, and spend the night in Indianapolis, if I didn't think these guys were worth the trip. If you are in Chicago, they are less than 3 hours away for you. You could drive there, have the work done, and return to Chicago without even having to spend the night like me :)
Thanks for this Serge! I was heavily considering the drive to Gator Motor Sports, been so caught up in work that its tough for me to think of driving down to Indianapolis. Serge, since you also have the DNA rear brace - Lotus says and I also checked with Shinoo - the torque for the rear toe link-to-chassis bolt is 44 ft lbs, is this the torque you use/check for on that bolt? I am leaving instruction for the Glenview guys to use 44ft lbs and not 37 ft lbs.

Reactions: Twaszak!

·
Registered
2005 Ardent Red Lotus Elise
1 Posts
I took my 2005 elise in for the oil cooler recall work, some new tires, and a window washer fluid pump. Very easy going and professional groups of people at the Glenview shop. My car had to spend the night at the shop to replace the whole cooler (broken nozzle trying to get the hose off) so they drove me home that afternoon!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, so I went in for service and had the oil recall done. Sorry not the best pics I only had my cell at the time:

Connector and oil line hose gets replaced. Checked after a few drives and no leaks.

Also had the following done:

1) Had the factory radiator replaced with F1 radiator since this is a front clam-off job I was worried with the quality of the work. I am very happy with their work, clam fit just as before, no damage to the clam and all lights work just fine. Radiator itself has no signs of damage and installed looking like it should have from the factory.

2) Rear toe link changed out to double shear setup and brace, alignment job. While I was swapping back my monolites I took a while and checked out the new rear toe links installed by Lotus of Gleniew:

3) Swap out the standard brake lines for stainless steel lines and have the oem brake pistons swapped out with bwr's steel pistons.
This is the only issue I have coming out of there, my brakes are good but they feel a little soft, I know I have air in the front calipers after having them swap out the front pistons. I'll have to bleed these out and maybe have to do the front caliper dance. Will do this sometime in the next weeks.

Overall....happy with the service there. I would bring my Elise there again.

Reactions: Twaszak!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Since you live in VA, why not drive to the NC or NJ dealer? It probably won't take you 9 hours to get there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts