The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an email from Ron Simmons and the 75 Experience that they are having a Lotus only trackday on July 31st. No affiliation, but these guys have a great reputation for running the best drivers school at the Ring.

RSR Nürburg - Lotus Event

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
963 Posts
Darn, now I can't drive AND I don't get to ride the big-boy rides at Disney Land D:

Jkjk, I meet both requirements, unless the cowboy is like 5' 9"

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
You don't even need a driver's license. Drove it in an Elise in November. Pay your money and drive on.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Ring is frightening. I went sideways a few times and luckily did not damage the Lotus or myself. The scarier part is everyone else driving around you! People going literally 150mph inches from each other. Yes, MPH. I had no fear until my friend told me a few people die a year on it. :eek:

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
The Ring is frightening. I went sideways a few times and luckily did not damage the Lotus or myself. The scarier part is everyone else driving around you! People going literally 150mph inches from each other. Yes, MPH. I had no fear until my friend told me a few people die a year on it. :eek:

I heard some crazy statistics. Like one wreck an hour, maybe one bad one a day. We were even impacted as we were in Germany for a show and the guy who works for us and was the main guy in our tradeshow booth had to leave before the show started. His brother was in a Lambo that went off on The Ring and hit a tree at over 100mph, fracturing his brother's neck.

When we drove it in the Elise, the temps were cold and it was damp. Different weather as you changed elevations. And a couple corners were a lot lower grip and I had no idea. One I had the backend come out and there was a moment of tightening in my butt as I had to catch the car. Eeek

The one factor that makes it more scary (though it seems many people are skilled) is the speed differentials. You can have full blown race cars out there with a VW minibus.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The track is heaven. Got to spend a summer over there, Lots of laps. It is a must do in your lifetime. It's kind of like Mecca for the car guy.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...and, occasionally, a minivan passing full blown race car after full blown race car...

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is the FAQ. It appears they reserved the track for half a day for the Lotus only drive. One of the few times I wished I lived in Europe.

Frequently Asked Questions
Can I bring a guest?
Yes, you can bring a guest. On the booking form there are two options; a non-driving guest and a driving guest. A non-driving guest will recieve the accommodation, evening meal and trackwalk entry, and a passenger wristband for the trackday. A driving guest will recieve all this plus a driver's wristband for the trackday. As a pair you will only recieve one car entry sticker, so if your guest wants to bring his own car, then that's another entry.

I only want to drive the track, I don't want the dinner, hotel, trackwalk etc...
This event is a complete package. Normally we wouldn't be able to get five hours on the Nordschleife without paying a lot more than this. Think of it as a €499 trackday entry with a lot of freebies thrown in. If you absolutely insist on only doing the trackday, the price is still €499 and a local eifeler will be given your spot at dinner!

What's this about me sharing a room?
The all-inclusive price of €499 is based on you sharing a room with another event participant. If you want to upgrade to having your own single room, so you're not sharing, then tick the box marked "Single Room Supplement" on the booking form.

Can I arrange it so I share with somebody in particular?
Certainly, simply email [email protected] AFTER you've submitted your entry and we'll make sure you've got your ideal room buddy. Or at least the person you requested. If they agree. No blind dates.

Is the track open at the weekend?
Yes, but not to motorvehicles. The track is being used for the annual Run and Rad am Ring. This includes a running race and 24 hour bike race on the whole track. At the same time there's a 24hr mountain bike race too. It's an incredible event if you're into this sort of thing.

Can I stay an extra night?
Yes, simply tick the relevant box on the form. If you'd prefer to downgrade to a cheaper B&B or hotel, after the Lotus event has finished, we can help. But the big event that weekend will have taken most rooms and 'event' prices are in effect.

How many people do we need to attend?
We 'need' at least 50 people to make the event work.

What's the upper limit on the event?
We will draw a line at 150 entries.

Is it strictly Lotus only?
We can understand certain circumstances and will relax this rule upon personal application. Good examples are:
"My Lotus broke down, I'm in my second car!"
"My Evora is still on order, I'm in my old non-Lotus model"
"All my Lotus-owning mates are on the trip, please let me come in my non-Lotus. My mates will vouch that I'm not an eejit. Honest

I'm a veggie, will there be meat at the meal?
Is the pope a catholic? Some German restaurants would rather burn you at the stake then offer you a stuffed pepper. Not this one. If you require a vegetarian option at dinner, please let us know when you make your booking.

Where are we staying exactly?
Just here:

It's the new Lindner hotel in the 'Eifeldorf' resort. All brand new. More info for german readers here.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
I've only taken one lap on the ring, two summers ago in a rented A6. As we were pulling out from the gates there was a kid and his girlfriend in some kind of forgettable tuner car directly in front of us. He was all over his throttle as he left my sight. About 3 miles later in we passed his totaled car, they were already out and attended to, but the car was toast. It looked like he overcorrected on the turn, kissed one rail and skidded across to hit another. :eek:

That got my attention right quick!

·
Registered
330 Posts
When I was there they told me there was on average of one death a week. Mostly someone on a bike. The bikes had to pay more per lap because they took more time for the cleanup crew.

If it is street legal you can put it on the track. So from tour busses to Vespa scooters to F430s to crotch rockets it's all out there at one time.

Safety tip: The more people you see on the side of the track in any section the trickier that section is going to be. So be prepared

It took me about 50 laps to get to the point where I knew what was around every bend.

Heaven on earth!

Good site for info
Ben Lovejoy's Nurburgring Nordschleife website

flip over the “my trips”

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have made four trips to the ring and can offer some suggestions on places to stay and places to eat. There are some great places just outside Nurburg. PM me if you are interested in travel ideas. I would love to be there for this event. Looks like fun.

This video is a classic example of being to overly excited to drive the ring. It won't offer much other than a laugh! And by the way, I am not driving :thwack:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q4Qxic6qj3E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q4Qxic6qj3E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
330 Posts
Now thats funny! Not even one turnrotfl

Jeff where do you find this stuff?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I've gotten pretty good at lapping it in Forza 2 and in PGR. Even in a @*#^% video game though, that course scares the crap out of me when I consider sharing it with F1 cars and Minivans at the same time. :panic:

·
Registered
330 Posts
What if said minivan hits race car, or vice versa. Who is liable?
The Germans are very good at going after the stupid and making them pay. If you are at fault you pay. Even if you blow your motor and oil down the track you are Liable for anyone who has damage because of it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts