The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the chances of Lotus, coming back to F1 with a second hand engine supplier?

Seems out of the question at the moment due to lotus strugling to make sure the Elise is a hit in the states!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Proton has a MotoGP team so they are willing to put money into top level racing. Hopefully the relationship with Toyota will develop further and ultimately result in some form of factory racing effort. The Toyota F1 motor does have plenty of "mambo" as David Hobbes would say and combined with reknown Lotus handling could make for a very dangerous package.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Toyota would be fullish to have lotus put into their F1 team at this stage. THey have put so much money into their team and letting lotus walk in would be a loss to credit on toyota's side unless Lotus proves it can build F1 cars!

Lotus has proven anything they design and work on wins races and continues doing it.

According to FIA in 7yrs from now it will be $50-60-Million cheaper to start an F1 team. To have a team running for 1 yr today you will need 145million plus 45million it takes to enter the F1 class. BMW and Benz have been looking for a long time now trying to make a new series on new standards but it has been going nowhere. Currently Ferrari Spend an outragious 400Million a YeaR on the F1 team. 800 employees just for the F1 team. (Specs taken from F1 magazine i believe it was.)

If lotus wants to show it can make F1 cars it should look into a Cart - open wheeled motorsport. At the current moment its hard to say they will. If the elise is a huge hit in the usa and the m250 is too when its due in 2008 then we'll start seeing lotus running around with lots of money. Which they will invest into further model development and new research. And when that is satisfied and there is more money left bouncing around then thats when they will really put the money into motorsport. But before they go Cart - F1, i believe they will do GT-class racing or Lemans. Yes lotus has been in F1 but a lot has changed and to get there they will need to start small.

·
Registered
296 Posts
RacingDynamcs said:
Toyota would be foolish to have lotus put into their F1 team at this stage.
You asked the question about a second hand engine supplier and coming back to F1, not about joining an existing team. I was just saying that if Lotus was to make an effort the Toyota powerplant would be a natural choice since they now have a working partnership.

If lotus wants to show it can make F1 cars it should look into a Cart

Other than having four wheels they are totally different animals. If Lotus were to even think about getting into F1 starting a CART program would only hinder that effort. Lotus already knows how to build race cars they don't need to test their abilities in CART.

But before they go Cart - F1, I believe they will do GT-class racing or Lemans

I agree with that, my favorite racing series right now is SPEED World Challenge. It would be fairly easy for any of us to enter a car in that series. I'm not sure if an elise could be classed in touring but if they made it go GT it would definately need some more power.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
L8BRAKR ;

I got my self confused on the engine supplier question and you made it clean thx!

I love Speed GT champ. I would love to see the Elise in any form of racing.

An elise race series would be phenominal for anyone with one or without. How can that be started? If lotus sells loads of them here in the states how can we push lotus into starting the elise series?

·
Banned
901 Posts
Look for a V8 Esprit driven by Zac Zarcadolas to run in the Grand-Am series as soon as the end of October 2003 for the Daytona race. Should be fun to watch!

Mark Pfeffer

·
Registered
296 Posts
Feffman said:
Look for a V8 Esprit driven by Zac Zarcadolas to run in the Grand-Am series as soon as the end of October 2003 for the Daytona race. Should be fun to watch!

Mark Pfeffer

SWEET!!, do you have any affiliation with the team or just heard about it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
In the UK we have the Lotus Road Sports Series which is dominated by Elise derivitives (Sport 190, Exige, Motorsport Elise).

It's not a big thing though, doesn't get on telly or anything.

Lotus go back to F1? If they did I'd bet it was a Proton team who used the Lotus name.

GT Racing - well you could always buy one of the Elise GT1 cars, you can probably pick one up for about $160k these days but I'd bet the engine is ropey ;)

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
V8 Esprit Team in Grand Am

The rumor is not a rumor. It is correct that Zack has put together a team to run a V8 Esprit in Grand Am.

1st race will be Daytona the Oct 31st weekend. Should be very exciting.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
HI Kiyoshi,
Glad to see you finally made it here. I saw Zack a couple weeks ago at LCU. He was doing laps around the infamous LCU ring road in his race car. (it's a ring road approx. a mile or so? that has seen a fair amount of Lotus activity over the years!)

Chris

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Was back in F1

Chris,

Greetings! Yup... I've been lurking for a few months. Good to hear the car is running! Kevin sent me some photos a few weeks ago and the car was looking good.

Do need to get a web page going on the GGLC site for their campaign. I told Zack the GGLC would pitch a some bucks to help buy tires or something. Zack suggested putting some sort of Assocate Sponsor program together so us common folks could get involved with the team.

Should be FUN!!!

Kiyoshi

P.S. I green with envy on your first drive in the US mule!!!

P.P.S I guess I can't complain cuz Arnie & Simkin let me play in their 111S at Portland Int'l Raceway. :)

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Esprit Racing

I'll post some on the GGLC site. Give me a day or so...

The photos are from a few weeks ago. They've made lots of progress since.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
296 Posts
Feffman said:

Mark Pfeffer
I just got done watching the Grand-Am race on SPEED but didn't see the Elise. Was anybody there to hear anything or have any updates on if the car did run and just didn't get any air time or were they not able to get the car ready in time to run last weekend?

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
No Elise...

Esprit V8.

Car wasn't ready, but made the trip to SEMA in Vegas this past week and was shown on the Garrett stand.

For pix go to the GGLC site and then to "Lotus Info" and click on the Grand Am link.

Kiyoshi

1 - 20 of 25 Posts