1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Inactive
831 Posts
I never can fathom the claimed charge rates. If the car can travel 300 km, and we assume 15Kw power consumption @ 100 kph, then the motors consume 45 Kwh. Recharging at 240V in 10 minutes would require a power supply of 1125A. Now consider the efficiencies of the charge / discharge cycle, motor controller and motors, and you're going to need around 2000 amps.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I never can fathom the claimed charge rates. If the car can travel 300 km, and we assume 15Kw power consumption @ 100 kph, then the motors consume 45 Kwh. Recharging at 240V in 10 minutes would require a power supply of 1125A. Now consider the efficiencies of the charge / discharge cycle, motor controller and motors, and you're going to need around 2000 amps.
This is a pet peeve of mine as well... I think that even the Tesla needs special electric service (high amperage 220V 3-phase?) to get it's claimed charge rate... I believe it's much slower if you charge it off a typical 110V single phase source. Most people don't realize how much energy is stored in a tank of gasoline/diesel.

·
Registered
571 Posts
My cell phone is about 6 months old and the battery life has already decreased noticeably. Am I to believe that a battery pack in a car which (I'm guessing) sees much higher amp/capacity loads is going to last much longer?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the car is supposed to charge itself through the brakes while driving i guess

·
Registered
518 Posts
There actually already exists an electric elise. I drove it yesterday. Yes it's quick!!!!!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BSGydxapmJQ&hl=nl&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BSGydxapmJQ&hl=nl&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
That is awesome Nico. Funny (good marketing) how they had to wait and wait and wait for the gas Elise to cross the line. What kind of power was the gas car using?

P.S. Send over some Stroopwafels please. I ran out today. :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
And it's not a one off... Look at this item from Malaysia...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5NYL40Fe9QE&hl=nl&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5NYL40Fe9QE&hl=nl&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
the car is supposed to charge itself through the brakes while driving i guess
Regenerative braking has real value in stop and go traffic... you do get to reclaim some of the energy used to accelerate the car during deceleration. But it does nothing to improve the efficiency of constant speed highway cruising... there all the energy is being lost through mechanical friction and aero drag; there's no way to recover it, only minimize its loss (which leads to things that look like the Aptera).

·
Registered
518 Posts
That is awesome Nico. Funny (good marketing) how they had to wait and wait and wait for the gas Elise to cross the line. What kind of power was the gas car using?

P.S. Send over some Stroopwafels please. I ran out today. :)
The Elise was the S version. And yes I can hear you all saying that the electrice elise won't be a match for my SC elise (or de 240 exige). Beieve me it does. And it is very driveable. Only danger is hat you WILL lose your driving license if you don't adjust your driving style.

Also it's not an automatic. It's got 4 gears (and a reverse). 5th and 6th were removed, otherwise it would run about 300 km/h. The max rpm has been lowered as well. Engine runs at about 9,000 rpm (as 12,000 can be handled).

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Interesting. It did seem to accelerate a bit slowly for a non-S Elise, so I suspected it was an S. As I said, it is a marketing film right? Seems to go a bit out of the way to make the gas Elise look slow.

Still, I would love an Electric Elise. I love the torque... always there.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think the reason for the claim is less because you'll be able to charge it in 10 mins at your house, but because the battery technology is capable of being charged at high rates. So, for instance, a charging station (like a petrol station) could provide a source for fast recharging. Such a facility could be tied into the grid and provide much higher amperage or voltage to hit a 10 min recharge.

Marketing-wise, a ten minute recharge is a more attractive option for the perceived future of electric cars on long distance travels than 4-10 hour charge times. It's also more attractive for people who don't have garage or home access to 110/220V sources for charging. Like apartment dwellers.

As far as I know, this is one of the major pros of LiFePO4 cells; reasonably high energy density, increased cell safety (no internal shorting), high discharge and charge rates)

But you're entirely correct about the amount of energy needed to power a vehicle over a long distance. It's tremendous.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I can imagine drop down electric brushes that contact embedded power grid on major thoroughfares for Interstate travel. If you change lanes, the batteries go active. The question is how does the Oil Cartel charge for the energy used?

That will stop the chicken from crossing the road!

·
Registered
664 Posts
There actually already exists an electric elise. I drove it yesterday. Yes it's quick!!!!!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BSGydxapmJQ&hl=nl&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BSGydxapmJQ&hl=nl&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I know why the blue one is so much slower. Its driven by BavarianMotorist:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts