The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Chinatown, NYC, yesterday with my girlfriend, and we were walking down Canal St looking at the cheap knockoff merchandise. While looking at some of the belt buckles, I was not surprised that they did not have any Lotus ones. I saw Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc...., but still no Lotus. I sort of made it my mission to find a Lotus one, but still no luck. My gf told me to just give up, but I will not.

I was planning to make my own, but I don't have the tools nor the machinery to do such a thing. I was thinking of 2 ways to do it:

1. Cast one in aluminum or steel or whatever alloy
2. Just get a round piece of steel and weld on the attachment for the belt and the thing (don't know what the terminology is) that goes into the hole of the belt. After that just get a Lotus emblem from Sector 111 or Blackwatch and attach it to the round steel buckle

This is where the other members of the community who have the skills and tools will come in to help. Anyone interested in helping? Anyone interested in having a Lotus belt buckle? If yes, maybe we can organize a group buy of some sort to the member who is willing to make one for us.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
You should post this in the Texas section. I think a lot of those guys down there may be used to big 'ole buckles like y'all be talkin' 'bout.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should post this in the Texas section. I think a lot of those guys down there may be used to big 'ole buckles like y'all be talkin' 'bout.
I don't mean to disrespect or anything, but the big buckles are kind of "in" right now. I usually wear a big Dolce & Gabana one or an Armani Xchange one when I hit the clubs.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I don't mean to disrespect or anything, but the big buckles are kind of "in" right now. I usually wear a big Dolce & Gabana one or an Armani Xchange one when I hit the clubs.
Even more reason to not do it...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
guido?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was in Chinatown, NYC, yesterday with my girlfriend, and we were walking down Canal St looking at the cheap knockoff merchandise. While looking at some of the belt buckles, I was not surprised that they did not have any Lotus ones. I saw Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc...., but still no Lotus. I sort of made it my mission to find a Lotus one, but still no luck. My gf told me to just give up, but I will not.

I was planning to make my own, but I don't have the tools nor the machinery to do such a thing. I was thinking of 2 ways to do it:

1. Cast one in aluminum or steel or whatever alloy
2. Just get a round piece of steel and weld on the attachment for the belt and the thing (don't know what the terminology is) that goes into the hole of the belt. After that just get a Lotus emblem from Sector 111 or Blackwatch and attach it to the round steel buckle

This is where the other members of the community who have the skills and tools will come in to help. Anyone interested in helping? Anyone interested in having a Lotus belt buckle? If yes, maybe we can organize a group buy of some sort to the member who is willing to make one for us.

Thanks
Cast Aluminum? No no no This is a Lotus my friend. It must be extruded aluminum. Just look at the door hinge. Now doesn`t that door hinge alone require something more than cast? -poke-

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Cast Aluminum? No no no This is a Lotus my friend. It must be extruded aluminum. Just look at the door hinge. Now doesn`t that door hinge alone require something more than cast? -poke-
Hot D*mn, Boy! That's it.

Take ya one-a dem thar Lotus door hinges, put ya a fancy Lotus badge on it, bond ya a lil' belt latch do-hicky to it and hang 'er from ya belt.

Then when y'all are out "clubbing" and some cowpoke tries to nut ya for talkin' to his filly, all he'll get is a big foot fulla metal. Ya gotcha a belt buckle and a cup all in one.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL. You guys are too much. No, I'm not a guido. You guys really tore me a new one. All I wanted was a Lotus belt buckle, but I guess I'm the only one here with a different style. Anyways, it was worth a shot.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
LOL. You guys are too much. No, I'm not a guido. You guys really tore me a new one. All I wanted was a Lotus belt buckle, but I guess I'm the only one here with a different style. Anyways, it was worth a shot.
Lotus can be pretty aggressive in protecting its trademark, it does not like folks taking its logo and slapping it onto T shirts, hats, etc. without its permission. Don't know if they've taken down a bootleg belt buckle maker, yet.

That said, I, for one, would personally report anyone suggesting a big 'Lotus' belt buckle.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Just ribbin' ya a bit there partner. Iffins y'all want a Lotus belt buckle, why shucks, go on and make ya one.

Don't forget to post up some pictures of y'all's fine handiwork, ya hear?

-poke-

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just ribbin' ya a bit there partner. Iffins y'all want a Lotus belt buckle, why shucks, go on and make ya one.

Don't forget to post up some pictures of y'all's fine handiwork, ya hear?

-poke-
rotfl It's all good RoadDad. I wish I could, but I just don't have the tools to make one myself.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
rotfl It's all good RoadDad. I wish I could, but I just don't have the tools to make one myself.
Well Shee-it, boy. Ya got no tool? Well then that whole Lotus door hinge idea wasn't so great after all -- see-uns how ya got nothing to guard from the nuttin' y'all wooda been gettin'. Well, h*ll. Y'all probably not talkin' to fillies anyway -- again see-uns how ya got no tool and all... ;).

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
So you gotta tell us, what pic is yours on HCWDB.com?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I had two, one slightly smaller than the other, both out of brass. One I made into a keychain thingie years ago, still have it. Other I sold on ebay two years to the wife of an Esprit owner in Detroit. She gave it to her husband as a Xmas gift. I got a very nice email from him afterwards thanking me.

Also sold a Bugatti one to a collector in France.

Attachments

·
Registered
569 Posts
The Bugatti was almost 4" in height, the Lotus almost 3". Both belts were 1+1/2". I wore them in the seventies when I was twenty-something.

Autoworld, a US company in the 60s-70's, used to sell model car and related auto trinkets. I bought three buckles from them. Ferrari, Porsche and Lotus. Had custom leather belts made for them, then tired of wearing them. So one day I cut them down into keychain things. I still have the Lotus and Porsche ones. The Ferrrari one got written off. Then a few years ago, I found another Lotus belt buckle, larger than the Autoworld one. This is the one sold two years ago. So they do exist, but rare.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
don't get one! I was in Glendale 3 weeks ago and we saw an Armo with a BMW emblem belt buckle. Damn that sh*t was funny. His Armo-ness is now complete. rotfl rotfl rotfl

·
Registered
782 Posts
Lotus belt buckle

I bought this buckle from an ad in Autoweek in 1974. It's 2 1/4 X3 1/4" and solid brass. has a belt hook and loop silver soldered on the back. The hook broke off about twenty years ago and a welder friend silver soldered it back on. I made the belt in 1975 while in the Army and it's still good. I still wear it occasionally. Guess that seeing it's now a collectible, I'll wear it to LOG...Dave

1 - 20 of 63 Posts