The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post here in LT, after being out of Lotus ownership for many years. Some of you will know me from the 80s/90s in Lotus Ltd. I just made a deal to buy a 1995 S4s with 12k miles, that should be arriving here tomorrow, from Minnesota. Over the years I've owned several 4-cyl Esprit, and had an M100 for a long time. As a car dealer I also bought/sold a half dozen V8 Esprit, but none of them ever talked to me like the 4-cylinder cars. I always said if the right one came along I'd own another, and I guess that time has come.

Anyway - even though I don't even have the car here yet, I know the 17 year old suspension will be tired. Reading about the Bilstein/Eibach setup it sounds like what I will want. My bones are older than they used to be, and I appreciate a system that soaks up the bumps.

I found a couple threads about shocks here in the forum, but none where people who actually own the Bilstein/Eibach setup shared their experiences. Hoping that by now some of you have done it. Please tell me about the results, what it cost, and where you bought the parts.

Don Ferrario

·
Registered
199 Posts
I bought a 2000 V8 new and have put ~84K miles on it. I've installed the updated Eibach/Bilstein setup on all 4 corners. In short, a much better setup than stock. One note: install the shock circlips on the lower setting for the spring perches. The upper one (which they say is stock) made it too high. The lower setting is fine for most roads and about what the original was.

Regard the original shocks/springs. The fronts springs are known to sag on the V8... per the factory. The shocks tend to leak after a while and I've even replaced a front shock where the lower bushing simply deteriorated.

One other annoying problem with the rear suspension is the lower/outer lateral arm bushing. Due to the angle where the arm attaches to the wheel hub, it just gets worn at the sides, which rubs the ends off and you get fore/aft movement and metal-to-metal contact. I've replaced the full rear with poly bushings but the outer/lower one eventually deteriorated and fell apart. The others are fine. Lotus now make a poly bushing for the rear which hopefully last better.

Good luck on getting a V8. Once you get it sorted out, it really is one fun car with some pretty high limits.

·
Wingless Wonder
5,437 Posts
I have heard nothing but praise for the updated Esprit suspension from those who have installed it. (I assisted a couple of owners with the installation)

:clap:

·
Registered
284 Posts
My V8 had about 18K miles on it last year when I installed the Lotus/Eibach/Bilstein suspension. Bought it from JAE.
Nothing wrong with my stock shocks, etc. but I wanted a smoother ride as I judged my existing combo was a bit jittery.
Installed the suspension at the lower settings, front and rear.
The front end raised just a tick, the rear lowered just a tick.
Looks fine, as it actually just leveled the car out.
At both low and high speeds there is less of a jolt when whacking into bumps on a not perfect road. You can tell the ride is better even on a "good" road.
Handling (not track) remains the same, and the car retains its near flat attitude while cornering.
Like I said, the original suspension worked just fine, the new stuff just improved the ride a noticable amount.
I'm guessing Lotus wanted something with more compliance to work with the flexible frame and newer stiffer tires.
That said, if I bought another V8, I don't know if I'd do this again--probably experiment with something else.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have it on my 2002, the Final Edition setup. The factory shocks are garbage, wore out in 12k miles! Bought the last set JAE had late last year. PM me for pricing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts