The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2006 British Racing Green Lotus Elise, and I want to put two yellow stripes on it, and I think some thin white accent stripes... (I very much welcome input!) I've been trying to answer my questions in this process and found surprisingly little good info in my search, so although I think I've just about got a lot of my questions answered, I figured I'd make a thread to help consolidate a bit of info.

Main info in one list -
  • Lotus Racing Green (LRG) is a more metallic paint, somewhat similar to British Racing Green (BRG) (based on it sorta?) It was used in 2005 on the Elise
  • 2006 used BRG
  • To stripe, you can buy apply vinyl or paint, painting giving a better look but far more expensive and permanent. I've heard Vinyl can be all-in around $300, whereas painted stripes are potentially $2,000
  • The classic yellow to combine with LRG is Saffron Yellow in ___ finish (will update if someone can answer - am I wrong that there is one main color to be used?)
  • The class yellow to combine with BRG is Saffron Yellow in ___ finish (again will update on confirmation, but @Mark Starr said Saffron Yellow, not sure which finish)
  • Dual stripes like below are around _ inches wide, and _ inches apart
  • Accent stripes similar to the HRM below are around _ inches wide and _ offset from main stripes

Questions (fill in the blanks!)
  • What's the appropriate finish on the stripes as in the examples below - gloss? I've been about to pick up the stripes in Saffron yellow here, but noticed its matte, and also looks quite orange, and assuming thats not what I want? Do you want the same finish on the Saffron Yellow if its on LRG or BRG? or do you want a metallic sort of finish on LRG? I know next to nothing about paint info!
  • What are the standard stripe dimensions? I'm working with Keith (ChufforiaGraffix) on installing and I'm sure he will sort me out and has answered these questions a million times (Almost bought his car! He has been super helpful!), but wanted to include that info in this post for others
  • Stripe dimensions on offsets accent stripes? Opinions for BRG style look?
  • Is Saffron Yellow the main color to use? I heard some claiming Canary Yellow or some other yellows were closer to the older style etc... very inclined to go with @Mark Starr 's advice on Saffron, but if anyone has used other yellows etc. I'll update it here for others trying to do something similar.
The last question I need to answer before goin ahead with mine (will update) is whether this vinyl is the appropriate Saffron Yellow - says its matte, but I don't see a non-matte version available. I'll probably have an answer to this soon and will update!

For example - this guide shows "Canary" and BRG?

This is my car currently -

I know Lotus Racing Green is 2005, and British Racing Green is 2006, and I'm fairly sure I want two yellow stripes. I've had a hard time finding out which exact yellow is the one to use - "Saffron", "Canary", and a bunch of other names have come up. Also, I hear Vinyl stripes are the way to go (am I correct that the only main options are Vinyl or Paint?) as I don't want to spend the extra $$ for a more permanent change. Further, do I use matte, gloss, or some other finish type. The below examples are both gloss right?

I think my favourite looking example so far is this one from HRM, @Mark Starr

Or without the white accents, also from HRM, this one -

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,738 Posts
I vote for the one WITH the white stripes. Be careful when you pick out the yellow vinyl because there are a lot of different shades out there. Have your installer show it to you and approve it before he does it. Too late after it is installed, right? I have some vinyl I got from VViVid and it has lots of orange in it when I hold it up to other yellow accents that are painted. I could not use it in the end...

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
That LRG with yellow/white stripes looks great.

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,738 Posts
Reactions: StressCraxx

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So to update, it seems that "Saffron Yellow" paint is for whatever reason quite different than "Saffron Yellow" vinyl, at least the one I could find offered. At one point I was trying to match the yellow with a saffron yellow elise like this

But really I want the combo as shown below.

I was wondering why this saffron yellow on Metro Restyling was so orange, and I couldn't order a sample as it was a custom order apparently - Matte Saffron Yellow - ORACAL Vinyl Wrap | Metro Restyling

But was trying to figure out that or the Canary yellow - Gloss Canary Yellow - ORACAL Vinyl Wrap | Metro Restyling

But in conclusion I'm pretty sure I was just being stupid and that this Gloss Lucid Yellow by 3M is the way to go. It looks about identical to the combo picture I show above - as 3M lets you download a color-accurate poster to compare. Gloss Lucid Yellow - 3M Vinyl Wrap | Metro Restyling

I've ordered a sample of the canary and the lucid, but I expect to go with the Lucid Yellow.

In conclusion I'm pretty sure as far as a Vinyl wrap goes, anyone with a BRG or LRG wants to go with 3M 2080 Lucid Yellow G55 - will update with pictures sometime soon hopefully :)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2020 Lotus Evora GT - Vivid Green
208 Posts
Yep, yellow and white stripes

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am planning to do the same on my 09 BRG Elise, along with powder coating the brake calipers. I'd planned to go with canary yellow so I am curious to see how yours turns out. Here's what I was using as an example.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts