The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Given the circumstances, not surprising. Wonder if that means going back to the Lexus engine they had first plan for the Esprit. And also taking a closer look at bringing the Exige V6 stateside?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I hope it means something positive. C'mon man - I cant believe a cool car company like Lotus with unique products& a rabbid fan base cant make it work but incessant sh!thole companies either get bailed out or somehow do make it work.

:mad:

·
Registered
80 Posts
thank goodness bahar is out. that's what happens when you hire an (self)image conscious 30 year old with little depth of vision. he should go back to the dark side (ferrari). let's hope lotus brings back the elise and produces an esprit that actually looks like an esprit.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I hope Lotus will start selling a new Elise and Espirt. They have come so far with their image in the US with the Elise,Exige and Evora it would be a shame to lose the progress.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
reissue the 2005's.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
I think that is well played to get the company back on track! Slow things down and get back control. Then do what we all axpect.Make a great set of a few cars and slowly expand product line. I would rather see it done this way than to close the doors....

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
yes! the danny 5 car plan was a hoax from the start, glad to see DRB has recognized that and are moving onto reality. good news. reality is a good place to be in business.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Wonder how far any of the non Esprit models were actually advanced?

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
It's the right direction, just wish that was the direction back in 2010. Imagine where Lotus would be today.

vincesf

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's the right direction, just wish that was the direction back in 2010. Imagine where Lotus would be today.

vincesf
Seeing as how they didn't really do anything with the other models other than the Esprit, i would imagine that they would be in a similar position they are now.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple years.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Seeing as how they didn't really do anything with the other models other than the Esprit, i would imagine that they would be in a similar position they are now.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple years.
similar in product line up yes, ....but in 320 million dollars less debt !!!

although i do think the MJK esprit would be in production now'ish. based on the speed of evora to production and its use of the new esprit platform and components.

now if the MJK regime had been given 320 million.... wow!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
And exactly nobody was suprised.

They are in a tight spot. The esprit would have to compete with gallardos and 458s which will be difficult.

I would like to think the v6 exige with functional bumpers and airbag compliance would sell well, but unfortunately that might not be the case. The evora never made any sense to me. They have a difficult path.

I think maybe toyota should team up with lotus to make a federal version of the exige as the next supra. They have shown they are willing to outsource their sports cars. Can you imagine toyota QC with lotus driving excitment!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree that from a business standpoint this makes sense BUT I for one am despondent that I will never get to buy the new Elise they had planned. That car was AWESOME imho. Hopefully the style changes they had for the new line up make their way into future models.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Like the Iconic 911, Lotus should keep the current Elise and Exige and simply refine and improve but not change just for the sake of changing. That's a business model that could work and the current designs really can't be improved on. Lotus engineering could keep doing wonders to the cars and the company could stay in business at a realistic level.

·
Registered
325 Posts
thank goodness bahar is out. that's what happens when you hire an (self)image conscious 30 year old with little depth of vision. he should go back to the dark side (ferrari). let's hope lotus brings back the elise and produces an esprit that actually looks like an esprit.
+1
I agree completely! I really hope they keep making the Elise. They had to bring the esprit back in my opinion, I mean they made those since 1976-2004, I have no idea why they stopped but glad it is coming back. Hopefully they can also make an Exige that can be driven over here too. Everyone loves the Exige at the track I hear, but seriously, make it a road car!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I really like the new esprit, I think the car will compete with gallardo and f430 since the car always has been a high end sport car.

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
+1[snip]They had to bring the esprit back in my opinion, I mean they made those since 1976-2004, I have no idea why they stopped but glad it is coming back. [snip]
They stopped making the Esprit because they were losing money 2000-2003 while trying to get the Elise exempted.

Federal Register, Volume 69 Issue 24 (Thursday, February 5, 2004)

As a product manager by trade, I realize producing an expensive low-volume exotic car is simply not profitable. These cars usually come into existence because of passion and sheer determination (and subsidized either by investors or by volume sellers (e.g. economy cars).

If the new Esprit arrives to market, it will be miracle - just like the original Esprit. History does tend to repeat itself.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts