The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.
On the Lotus UK website, they have a variety of driving experiences. All look pretty interesting. Has anyone here been on one? I am thinking of doing the August 1st class, which includes a factory tour, some theory and some track driving in an Elise. It's not cheap at 299ps but it might be worth it as a once in a lifetime experience. Thoughts? I'll be in the UK already with plans to visit Spain and Hungary.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Where in the UK are you located, you can get driver training on any track as well as a lotus hire car if your uncomfortable taking your own car on the track from these guys

Lotus Car Hire | Self Drive Car Hire | Classic & Chauffeur Driven Super Cars | Non Fault Accident Hire

great company, i have been to a trackday at oulton where they where, stayed and had a chat with the guys. Very Nice people and i heard the instructors they give you know the cars inside out, so they tell you when to push it and when to tag back a bit. If you want more information let me know.

(im from the UK too)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi Mike

I believe we have spoken before (via email). I am a co-ordinator on the bronze day at Hethel, also running the nfactory tour and visit to Team Lotus.

Let me know if I can be of any help

Richard

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I took a class using the early production Elise S2's that were not quite good enough to sell. It was great to drive the Lotus track but frustrating to me because of the RHD layout. I couldn't gauge the position of the car relative to the track and shifting with my left hand was a joke. If you can spare the time and money do it. Richard knows all and will help you out.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello!
Thanks. I am going to call you all next week. Jill (From your office) emailed me the travel details of how to get to Hethel from London and where to stay. I'd like to do the August 1st class and tour. What time does everything usually start on Saturday morning? That kind of determines whether I take the train, rent a car, etc. Also, do you have room for two, one of my friends is insterested as well.

Hi Mike

I believe we have spoken before (via email). I am a co-ordinator on the bronze day at Hethel, also running the nfactory tour and visit to Team Lotus.

Let me know if I can be of any help

Richard

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Mike, I went and did the Lotus Bronze License a couple of weeks ago and it was a blast. Well worth the cost.
It would be beneficial to get some time in a rental car to practice shifting with the wrong hand, I did miss a couple of 3-2 downshifts. And yes, I killed a few cones from sitting on the wrong side but Greg (instructor) was very patient and helpful. By the end of the day things were coming together.
My only regret was not going back on Sunday for the Silver License.
Thanks to Richard and the crew for keeping things interesting between the track sessions.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I took a class using the early production Elise S2's that were not quite good enough to sell. It was great to drive the Lotus track but frustrating to me because of the RHD layout. I couldn't gauge the position of the car relative to the track and shifting with my left hand was a joke. If you can spare the time and money do it. Richard knows all and will help you out.
Like Dean, I did an earlier version (2001 - Lotus 'Extreme Driving Experience') facilitated by Richard and it was worth every pence! Richard is the consummate host and will probably be one of the most interesting and entertaining aspects of your visit.

GO for it! :up:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great info guys, thanks! I grew up in Cyprus, and have been recently driving in the UK, but also New Zealand and Australia, so I am good with right hand driving... especially when there is no merging involved!

The only decision I need to make is whether to take the second class in late August. It's the Silver class, GBP499, so not cheap, but could be great fun. Signed up for the Bronze on August 1st, can't wait!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi JCM and Bob

Thank you both for your kind words. We do try and give everyone a good time at Lotus. There really is something special about Lotus people, good kind folks.

Hopefully see you at LOG in a few days.

All the best

Richard

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Great info guys, thanks! I grew up in Cyprus, and have been recently driving in the UK, but also New Zealand and Australia, so I am good with right hand driving... especially when there is no merging involved!

The only decision I need to make is whether to take the second class in late August. It's the Silver class, GBP499, so not cheap, but could be great fun. Signed up for the Bronze on August 1st, can't wait!
I want a full report soon afterwords.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Greetings.
On the Lotus UK website, they have a variety of driving experiences. All look pretty interesting. Has anyone here been on one? I am thinking of doing the August 1st class, which includes a factory tour, some theory and some track driving in an Elise. It's not cheap at 299ps but it might be worth it as a once in a lifetime experience. Thoughts? I'll be in the UK already with plans to visit Spain and Hungary.

i did a lotus autocross and advanced course in sepang. it was a blast and i learnt a lot - it certainly wasnt cheap over 1500usd iirc but id recommend it.

at the end of the course there was a timed trial at which i beat the two instructors best times :) so guess i must have learnt something :clap:

would love to do a lotus circuit course - maybe next time im in the uk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts