The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gary and I were in my 1972 Elan Sprint. He saw that the speedometer showed 100 mph and said that my speedometer was wildly optimistic.

Gary owned an Elan too, but we were still working the its chassis change.

But, I had very large 175/70-13 tires on the car and knew it was pretty accurate. (1)

He just couldn’t believe how it felt as if we were going slower.

An owner of an engine building shop later said my Elan was the most stable he’d ever driven. Since they specialized in Lotus, I thought this was a pretty good compliment.

I’d stuck a Spyder tube-frame chassis under the car, but the real difference was that I’d precisely corner weighted it.

With scales borrowed from the NJ BMW CC, it was not very difficult.

Light, small cars really benefit from this process.

Last year, unhappy with another company’s work, I took the Elise to a local shop that specialized in Porsches and was known for its alignment and corner balancing.

The owner asked me a lot of questions, unlike the first shop.

When he delivered the car, he told me to call him the next day to tell him what I thought. I was a bit surprised.

OK, he was right and I was wrong. Even in the 6-mile trip home from his shop, the difference was remarkably stunning. The Elise had never felt this good.

Now, I have friends who corner jack only racing cars.

My point is that you’ll benefit even in your street car.

(1) Note: When calculating tire diameter, the engineers use 3.07 vs. Pi. Deflection.

·
Premium Member
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gil, please tell me which shops you used.
Great work:

Precision Motorsports
438 W Mill Rd
Long Valley, nj 07853
908-832-6572

Owner: Will

Receptionist: Kathy
---

Don't use Eurotire on Rt 46.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Great work:

Precision Motorsports
438 W Mill Rd
Long Valley, nj 07853
908-832-6572

Owner: Will

Receptionist: Kathy
---

Don't use Eurotire on Rt 46.
Thanks Gil. Colin corner balanced my car using Eurotire’s equipment.
I think I have to redo it.

·
Premium Member
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think that's how Colin does it. I thought on Eurotire did that in the building.

Either way, worth redoing.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
I don't think that's how Colin does it. I thought on Eurotire did that in the building.

Either way, worth redoing.
I wasn’t present at the time it was done. I dropped my car off to Colin. He installed Penskes for me and said he used eurotire’s equipment. I’m not even sure if he did it or Eurotire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts