The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving any Lotus seems to atrack the best and worst men in uniform. Be it a local cop, sheriff or highway patrolman, they always seem to eye the car and sometimes find ANY excuse to pull you over.

Please share your stories! The funny, the good and the bad

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
i dont have a lotus as of yet but i am looking into getting one sooooner than i anticipated i would be getting another car.

I have been pulled over on M6 for no reason because they just want to see the car :D...i dont mind...i talk with them for about 5 minutes then on my way. They also check the license and registration to make sure its not stolen and to make it look like a legit stop.

I've also been stopped when i was a passenger on a 599 and a gt3 for them to look at the car and just talk with the driver.

I've gotten pulled over for speeding mostly on my dads Alpina B7....for some reason that car likes to speed...lol

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
almost 15K and never been pulled over.
i did have a local let me show it to him at my standard coffee shop but it was just personal interest.
of course, 99.99% of my driving, i'm mister speed limit.
the odds are with me.
sam

·
Registered
907 Posts
Driving any Lotus seems to atrack the best and worst men in uniform. Be it a local cop, sheriff or highway patrolman, they always seem to eye the car and sometimes find ANY excuse to pull you over.

I was in downtown New Haven on a Saturday night and cop standing in the street flagged me down and told me "nice car, I almost bought one of those"

Stopped in traffic in Stamford, I see a procession of cop cars from all over CT driving the other way. A HUGE marked Dodge Charger with bull bars starts drifting towards me on the other side of the road and stops beside me and shouts "I've got one of those!".

Finally last summer, I got pulled over by a cop in Wilton for 62 in a 40. He shouted at me for not pulling over for over a mile and said he had trouble keeping up. I had no idea he was behind me with his lights on for a mile as he didn't have his siren on.

Other than that I've never been pulled over and never really get any attention from any cops.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Was pulled over back in May by DPS officer outside of Waco ( I was headed up to Motorsport Ranch-Cresson for track event next day) for burned out headlight. It was around 1:00am, he was very cool-just gave me a fix it ticket. I think he really wanted to check out the car,asked if I was headed to a race track as the helmet was riding shotgun.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My temporary tags expired so I went to the DMV to get new plates. Their computers were down so they told me I had to come back later. I walk out to the car and a cop is waiting for me. Of course he was waiting for me so he could talk about cars. The conversation was going so well I pointed out my expired tags and told him what happened. His response? "So how fast does this thing go?"

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
My temporary tags expired so I went to the DMV to get new plates. Their computers were down so they told me I had to come back later. I walk out to the car and a cop is waiting for me. Of course he was waiting for me so he could talk about cars. The conversation was going so well I pointed out my expired tags and told him what happened. His response? "So how fast does this thing go?"
lol....thats my kinda cop :shift:

when i took my m6 for a service the cop (detective) brought his M3 in for a service.we got to talking and he wanted to do a highway run with me to see if his car could keep up......and we did. Just never crossed my mind becuase it wasnt a pull over. Afterall cops are human too and some are car entusiasts like us.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I'll let Cory (Cory1000) tell about his most recent encounter...-poke-

I was there and probably could have saved him had I known what was going on.

Sorry Cory. :(

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
172 Posts
The first day I brought it to work, Transit cop gave me and my buddy a parking ticket for "parking on the line" where everybody else in the whole parking lot don't even get one. Everyday you see people parking almost sideways and don't even get a ticket.
Talk about profiling...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
cops are human too and some are car entusiasts like us.
And most are real public servants, thankfully unlike the many horror stories we hear that just prove the exception.

I'm with Zammy, usually driving the speed limit. :rolleyes:

25,500 miles, no busts...yet. (We need a 'fingers-crossed' icon...) :p

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I got a ticket in the Elise for 21 over on Easter Sunday on the way to church, I was going 30 over so I suppose that was ok. Which reminds me, I need to do defensive driving very soon.

·
Registered
347 Posts
It's the every 13 month get out of a ticket free pass in TX...kind of nice, but means that you never get any warning tickets in TX!!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

Do a search!

This topic has been covered over and over and over...

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/police-harrassment-11920/

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/anyone-else-get-lot-police-attention-43437/

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/please-leave-me-alone-17075/

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/anybody-not-have-police-problems-25051/

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
It's the every 13 month get out of a ticket free pass in TX...kind of nice, but means that you never get any warning tickets in TX!!
Sure there is. You can do defensive driving, once a year and you can also do deferred once a year (in each county). So theoretically you could get a ticket and do DD once then if you go to 3 different counties be doing deferred 3 times together.

I'm usually on a 2 ticket a year cycle, one on DD one on deferred (probation). I already got my 2 this year though (1 Miata for rolling a stop sign @ 10 PM in a residential and speeding in the Lotus, I can't help it) :)

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
driving to work, i see an unmarked Mercury Sable with lights & siren on behind me. Thought it was funny, so I eventually pull over. Didn't want to because of the unmarked car & me driving the Exige. Anyway, CHP comes over and within the 1st sentence I knew he wouldn't give me a ticket. I told him my registration & insurance were in the trunk and he still made me get out. The address on my license, insurance and registration were all different. LOL! He said he could have written me up on ..... no indicator lane change, excessive lane change, speeding even though I was going 65 and having 3 different addresses on my papers. Said he was on his way to see a Dr. so let me go. Oh yeah, he says to me you in a rush? Said nope just driving to work, took some hours off...

Didn't make any comments about my blowpipe either. :up:

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I've had cops ask me to race on two different occasions - onc up on Sunset before I had 1000 miles, and once last year, on La Brea, in rush hour traffic. On the second occasion, I pointed at the traffic ahead of me, and raised my arms. The cop in the passenger seat said, "That's what these are for," referring to the sirens.

Recently, I had a cop and his partner pull up to me and ask, "what did you do to your exhaust," meaning, "that's WAY too loud." I said, "It was put on by Lotus." "We don't care, it's too loud." Me, concerned: "Oh no, I'll take it into the shop tomorrow." "Okay, do that."

1 - 20 of 44 Posts