The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any plans for another Lotus corral at Road Atlanta this year? I was there with NASA last weekend, I sure look forward to seeing the race after actually driving there. Kinda like watching an NBA game on a court where I had dribbled around.
Would be nice to meet some folks and present our cars for public approval as well.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I'm sure there will be. Ron and Becky along with Beth from LOA generally get it together. Good times!

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Petit LeMans Oct. 1-4 2008

We were on a mountain drive this weekend and it was brought up that there wasn't a Corral this year. Not to say their can't be.

In the past a couple individuals have single handedly taken it upon themselves to organize the corral. I believe it was pretty much just Ron and Becky, and Beth from LOA- so a big hand to them as I know it was a lot of effort. As far as I know it's always been this same group to organize the Mitty and the Petit. A couple people can only do so much, so many times.

I for one would love to be able to all assemble at a corral this year. I know I will be at the Petit. I'm sure a lot of you will be as well. It is a not to be missed event. I simple do not have the resources to do it single handedly (financially or the time) With a corral and a central location we'll be left to park with the cretins miles away from the track.
I'm trying to find out some more info but I believe in order to get a corral we need to buy parking for 20 cars and sell 20 tickets. I believe someone needs to pay for that up front and then sell off the tickets. As you can see, if one couple takes this on year after year and all the tickets don't get sold well whoever paid for it is left eating whats left. I was speaking to Beth from LOA today and she is certainly willing to help as always but like me can't do it all. She is already pretty tapped out with the 3 events she is planning and that you have or will be getting a flyer for. My opinion is that She, Ron and Becky have already done way more than their fair share. (lets give them all another hand and show appreciation for the effort they've put out so we could all have good times together! I mean, common flying to NY for hotdogs even. That is just over the top!)

If we park amongst the masses and then trek in, parking is still going to cost the same. We still need to buy our tickets to get it. So to assemble as a group really doesn't cost us any more. Plus then we can all find each other, associate, promote LOG next year, and eat drink and be merry. Sounds a lot more fun to me that all being there- out in crappy parking spots- and not being able to find each other at the event. If we all bring some food to share, In the end we'll probably save money.

There is a minimum expense that needs to be met and collected. I've heard $1,200, I've heard $2,000- but I have not been able to confirm it yet. I for one think we can sell 20 spots. I'd be willing to reach out and open our corral to other clubs so that we would be able to fill it if need be. This is the idea I proposed to Mick. I said, hey, if it's $1200, let's get 12 businesses (or even individuals) to chip in $100 each. I'll then make a banner with everyones name on it to hang outside the corral saying "Lotus car corral provided by the generousity of............." (but I'll spell check generousity first). I'm in for $100. Beth said she would through in $100. Who else is with us? Who else could be approach? Any local business owners or individuals? Any of the restaurants we congregate at? Barber, Sector, Autoforums, Sugo, Normans, Hypersport, Wolf Mtn,??? Any other input or ideas? Who's with us?

Mick you are the LLSE president? What do you think? I'm willing to help for sure, but can't do it all and can't put my credit card up front on the line either. Is anyone willing to step up? Let's set the stage for LOG next year. This is the biggest motorsport event in our area. It would be a shame to not have a corral there.

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks SweetDaddyD for trying to get the ball rolling. Count me in for the C note.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Bump.

We have 4 people interested so far. Road Atlanta's phone lines are down due to the storms to get the info and find the deadline. My cousin has a landscaping business in the area, maybe I can ask him as well.

Speak up if you are interested or if you have any other ideas.

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump. Any word on deadlines or total cost required?

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Still waiting to hear back from them. I'll call them again on Tuesday.

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for working on this Mick. Two years ago I saw your car there

DSC_0112web.jpg

and that probably was the catalyst to get me thinking seriously about finally owning a Lotus. By Christmas I had my Elise (she had me?), now I'm 24 track days into it all.

I remember the corral sharing space with a lot of interesting non Lotus cars, including this MG V8 Estate wagon.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
We've talked to Road Atlanta and are now talking to LCU to see if they'd be interested in fronting the money for the corral. Haven't heard back yet.

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So let's get a count going. They want a grand for a 20 car corral spot.

BRTHTAKR $100
D&G $100

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
So let's get a count going. They want a grand for a 20 car corral spot.

BRTHTAKR $100
D&G $100
ChuforiaGraffix.com (me) $100 and will make a banner thanking everyone who contributed.
Last time I spoke with Lotus of Atlanta they sounded favorable to being able to chip in $100. I can't speak for them here though and will confirm that.

Maybe wirewheel.com would since it was pointed out above they have shared space in the past? Or some of the others mentioned in post #3 of this thread?

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Guys, Good news. We are getting some support- IF we can show the interest is there.

Folks,

Lotus Limited Southeast is looking at the idea of having a parking corral at the Petit le Mans which is coming up in two weeks. We will only go through the trouble and expensive if there is enough interest.

"If you are planning on attending the Petit le Mans this year, please reply to this thread or email me directly at MickOpalak at yahoo dot com to let me know as soon as possible." Mick was referring to this thread http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f122/atlanta-area-lotus-related-events-29926/index28.html

Thanks so much.

What we need is a MIN. of 15 people that will park in the corral if we get it together, and we need that list fast. Let's get it going:

1. Keith - SweetDaddyD
2. Mick O.
3. Lotus of Atlanta
4. Brthtaker
5. D&G Lotus
6. 111 Geek
7. BRG2006EXIGE
8. DLMAXX- David Lee

Clyde, Frank, Ron&Becky, Jessica, Sarah, Brian S, Martin, Hypersport...????

Spread the word guys.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
1. Keith - SweetDaddyD
2. Mick O.
3. Lotus of Atlanta (ok you know they are going to bring at least 2 cars, maybe more Can we count them 3 times? lol)
4. Brthtaker
5. D&G Lotus
6. 111 Geek
7. BRG2006EXIGE
8. DLMAXX- David Lee
9. Rich350- maybe. (if friend gets out of hospital )
10. Brian S said he'll be there on LLSE
11. C.Hill did as well and said if we get a spot, if not he'd be in someone hospitality booth

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I'm not on any other Lotus boards. If you are can you cross post and link to this so we can heard all our stray sheep together?

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
1. Keith - SweetDaddyD
2. Mick O.
3. Lotus of Atlanta
4. Brthtaker
5. D&G Lotus
6. 111 Geek
7. BRG2006EXIGE
8. DLMAXX- David Lee
9. Rich350- maybe. (if friend gets out of hospital )
10. Brian S said he'll be there on LLSE
11. C.Hill did as well and said if we get a spot, if not he'd be in someone hospitality booth
12. Don & Donna Clifford. (Donna has the grey and pink Exige at Hypersport. I just talked to Don and he said if we want he bring is 34 foot trailer with awning and generators, etc so we had a covered spot if the weather was inclimate- Just to let him know if he wants us to bring it)
13. Adam B.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
And well.....
Never mind to everyone.

We tried, but it was too little too late. (well more of just too late).

Road Atlanta informed us that they are sold out of room for infield corrals and that they are jam packed :(

Hopefully we'll be able to find a place for a couple of us to park together and maybe we can caravan in to try to be together. We'll have to make an earlier effort next year. If you guys want to do this stuff please speak up. We tried getting this thread going earlier and it was crickets. Man I'm bummed. We even had the support of LCU behind us.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts