The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 2008 I tried to get the Lotus Cup challenge series to run down here in Texas. A lot of people signed up initially but it was mostly crickets in the night when it came to commitment time.
There is talk about possibly trying it again in 2015. The series is currently running on the west and east coast and there is discussion of getting it going in the south-east area.
As much as I hear about people tracking their cars is there anyone intrested in giving the LCS a go?

If you would seriously consider it send an email to the gent below and give him your thoughts. It could be a lot of fun.
Robbie Montinola | Series President
[p] 510.325.6154 [e] [email protected] [w] Lotus Cup USA

Al B.
2008 2-11

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
That would be AWESOME! I would definitely be IN.... for a ticket to watch.

Yes, a fair number of us track our cars, but that is a long way from actually building a race car and going wheel to wheel. I hope there are enough in the South to make it happen. There would be a lot of us that would help (grid, flags, etc..). I wonder how many actual cars they need to make it happen here?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ron, Jefrac,

For starters, not all is wheel to wheel. They have different classes for TT, W toW and DE. Go to LCS and check out the details.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Ron, Jefrac,

For starters, not all is wheel to wheel. They have different classes for TT, W toW and DE. Go to LCS and check out the details.
Oh, hmmm... I see that now. That would be really fun. I would jump into TT for sure and try to convince a few others to try it. I will send that e-mail to Robbie.

Thanks Al

·
Registered
685 Posts
Correct... We could start out with an HPDE / TT type format first to build participation and get the Lotus community together. In time, we foresee the events morphing into wheel-to-wheel racing but that takes time. Our series out West started with track days, then TT, and eventually a full blown, 20-35 car grid of Lotus racecars.

Robbie

·
Registered
632 Posts
Wonder what the annual running cost would be to field a respectable car. I would love to do something like that, but i would imagine the up-front cost and ongoing cost would be pretty eye-watering.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Correct... We could start out with an HPDE / TT type format first to build participation and get the Lotus community together.

Robbie
Sounds appealing...I would definitely be in for HPDE. It would be a lot more fun chasing another Lotus around the track.
And even though I have never timed myself on the track, I might be even be coaxed into giving TT a try just for fun.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Let me know when and where and I'll come watch! And maybe work a corner..

·
Registered
685 Posts
Wonder what the annual running cost would be to field a respectable car. I would love to do something like that, but i would imagine the up-front cost and ongoing cost would be pretty eye-watering.
Out West... our Production class (which is an N/A Elise with strict ruleset) is very cost effective in the grand scheme of racing. Guys are building full racecars for 40k including the purchase of the car. Race weekend costs are variable, but a set of tires is $1300, entry fees are $699, and consumables. Prep and maintenance are easy as well. Then trackside support and coaching if you desire. Very similar to racing a competitive spec miata, doing an arrive-and-drive series like Skip Barber or Sim Raceway (Jim Russell), etc.

Feel free to email or call me if you're interested in learning more...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm in.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
It's about time.... I was gong to have to drive by your house in the middle of the night and rev the motor a few times.:nanner:

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's about time.... I was gong to have to drive by your house in the middle of the night and rev the motor a few times.:nanner:
That would have been warranted in this case.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts