The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Event Info:

Lotus Cup USA returns to Buttonwillow Raceway Park on September 22nd & 23rd following our largest event ever at Laguna Seca. Join us for an exciting race weekend as the momentum continues towards a very close championship battle. Enjoy your Lotus at the racetrack with the largest Lotus enthusiasts motorsports group in North America. This event is open to Race and Time Attack participants.

Be sure to register early to take advantage of the early-bird rate. Save $100 by signing up before August 22nd!

Groups
Time Attack or Race

VIP Hospitality
Take advantage of the Lotus VIP Hospitality Center all weekend and hang out with the drivers, sponsors, and Lotus staff. You receive catered lunch, beverages, and snacks each day in the exclusive VIP center. Passes can be purchased for $50/weekend

Garages
Please contact the racetrack for garage reservations

Spec Tire
ALL race group drivers are required to compete on the Yokohama Tire Advan A005 Racing Slick (S01 or S04 compound). All tires must be purchased through Trackside Performance (your team/shop can purchase tires for you through Trackside. They must provide a drivers name when ordering).

Please contact Troy or the Trackside Performance sales team at 949-589-5394.

Spec Tire Price = 190/580R16 (F) = $280 per tire, 230/625R17 (R) = $330 per tire. Excludes tax and shipping.

TRACK INFO

24551 Lerdo Highway
Buttonwillow, California 93206

Questions? Contact [email protected]

REGISTRATION

CLICK HERE: https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/D51290BD-A2FE-4219-848C949D25FDA99A

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright folks... hot off our largest event ever, I expect to see you all back at Buttonwillow for Round 5!!

So let's start a list of who's going:

1. Jack Fried - Open
2. Andy Kern - 2-11
3. Dave MacMillian - Evora
4. Tom MacMillan - Evora
5. Ramon Niebla - Cup
6. Patrice Gautier - Production
7. Sandy Sanford - Production
8. Brent Bauman - Production
9. Carole Ferraud - Production
10. Glen Irani - Open
11. Greg Nitzkowski - Open
12. Larry Schnur - Cup
13. Rob Ainscough - Open
14. Greg Linderer - Production
15. Robb Bonnano - 2-11
16. Roy Sakioka - Cup

Tell your buddies, let's get them out to the beautiful Buttonwillow Raceway Park :D

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Jack Fried - Open
2. Andy Kern - 2-11
4. Tom MacMillan - Evora
5. Ramon Niebla - Cup
10. Glen Irani - Open
12. Larry Schnur - Cup
13. Rob Ainscough - Open
15. Robb Bonnano - 2-11
16. Roy Sakioka - Cup
17. Eddie Park - 2-11
18. Mike Reynolds - Production

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Jack Fried - Open
2. Andy Kern - 2-11
4. Tom MacMillan - Evora
5. Ramon Niebla - Cup
10. Glen Irani - Open
12. Larry Schnur - Cup
13. Rob Ainscough - Open
15. Robb Bonnano - 2-11
16. Roy Sakioka - Cup
17. Eddie Park - 2-11
19. Bob Sachs - Production

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1. Jack Fried - Open
2. Andy Kern - 2-11
4. Tom MacMillan - Evora
5. Ramon Niebla - Cup
10. Glen Irani - Open
12. Larry Schnur - Cup
13. Rob Ainscough - Open
15. Robb Bonnano - 2-11
16. Roy Sakioka - Cup
17. Eddie Park - 2-11
19. Bob Sachs - Production
20. Victor Brandt - Production

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
For those interested in staying at the Best Western in Wasco, a Lotus Group rate has been set up there -- you will save ~ $15 per night. It's the nicest motel/hotel in the area, although it's not the least expensive.

Hotel Info:

Best Western Plus Wasco Inn & Suites
1704 Highway 46
Wasco, California, 93280
Phone: 661/758-1111

Lotus Rate = $80.99/night -- You must call the number above (not their national reservation desk) and mention Lotus Group when reserving your room to get the reduced rate.

If you have already made a reservation w/o mentioning Lotus, please call them and they will change your rate.

Caveat .... there aren't many rooms left, so don't delay if you want to stay there.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
So what's the final roster?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Awesome weekend everyone! #1CCW is a hugely challenging config that made from for the most demanding racing I think this group has seen (not to mention the large grid). From my vantage point in the race waiting for a tow on Grapevine, you were all driving hard and committed. It was a treat to watch, even if bitter-sweet. COngratulations to Robb and Jack for overall race wins!

I think a lot of how things transpired this weekend, for the better or worse, was commensurate with the challenge, if not indicative that we are learning a lot about the sport and still have a lot to learn. Let's all get out to SMMP to show ourselves and eachother what we're really made of, shall we? Sure, we had a couple incidents, but we know that's racing and that we aren't likely to let it get us down for long.

I think I speak for many of us when I say thanks to Jim, Lotus and all our generous sponsors for bringing us all together. I may be out of contention for the championship at this point and I may even be a little frustrated over the issues that have kept me from achieving that, but I'm going to give this series my best shot still - because that's how I roll!

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Big thanks to Kris and the DRS crew, Roy (all round good guy and fellow competitor who donate a set of used tires), Greg (another all round nice guy and competitor who donated his used tires), Robert Dietsch for car suspension setup, and the LC USA series for putting on the ButtonWillow event ... and last and most significant, my wife Leslie for her help and support and all around awesomeness :)

Track configuration was CCW1 (I've never run this configuration or the track backwards), my best lap of the weekend was Sunday morning practice session at 2:01.9 -- it was a very hot weekend mid to high 90's. It was great to see 20 cars out in the race group.

Event results for me (I was placed in the Open class):
Race 1
1st in Class, 3rd Overall

Race 2
2nd in Class, 2nd Overall

Congrats to all finishers and especially the class winners and overall winners. Video with data overlay to follow within the next few days.

Finally!! I got to finish a full 2 day event without issues ... Kris/DRS motor work was awesome -- I never thought a normally aspirated 1.8 litre motor could feel "powerful", but I was wrong. Even with the crazy hot track surface temps, the motor felt strong the entire weekend and never seemed to drop power like my old supercharger setup would. Car was so FUN to drive, much more fun to drive than when I had my supercharger ... the balance just seemed perfect (like the car was designed for this weight distribution ... oh wait it was) and the car was very easy to toss around, predictable and fun. I know some of you think I'm nuts removing the supercharger, but after this weekend I KNOW it was the right decision for me.

Thanks again to all the series sponsors, LC USA, and fellow competitors that helped make this a great weekend for me. Cheers to you all.

Although there were several incidents this event, I feel LC USA competitors are a great group of people and perhaps just a little more race craft is needed and more two-way discussions and perhaps even some entitlement dialed down a little to meet the spirit of the rules and series goals.

Thanks again to everyone.

Cheers, Rob.

P.S. I flat spotted my only set of tires early Friday due to a faulty weld in #2 throttle body arm (throttle stuck open) ... Kris/DRS fixed the problem and got me back up and running for Sat afternoon (I had to learn the track quick) with the help of Greg and Roy's used sets. Good people and I hope I get the opportunity to repay the favors.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
What kind of incidents occurred?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Rob, if you get a chance, can post as vid of Sat qualy.:D Good job this weekend, good to see the car run well. N/A + sequential :clap:

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Thanks, will do Brent. Plan to post both Sat/Sun Quals and Races ... just have to synch up my data overlay ... should have them up within the next couple of days.

1080p HD -- think I recorded at 60 frames/sec (good for slow motion) but my data overlay software only supports 30 frames/sec.

Cheers Rob.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Here ya go Brent ... may take a few hours for YouTube to process HD version, but here is Sat Qualify:

EDIT: Sorry Brent, it went private.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Wow! My car does not sound like that! Sounds like a Porsche Cup car ;-)
Nice driving by the way.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Thank you sir. If you want it to sound like that, contact Kris/DRS :)

Here's some data from Sun morning session with a best of 2:01.9, my combined best sector times showing a 1:58.6 theoretical - oh well, next time and cooler temps I hope.

I spent as much time as I could in the AC Driver's lounge to cool down.

Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Before the rumors and opinions proliferate, I'd like make a short statement about the incident at Star Mazda during Sunday's race.

Both Jack and Robb had gotten in front of me by the Esses. Coming out of the Esses, Robb seemed to brake multiple times; I don't know why, maybe he was worried about his brakes still being cold, but I thought he might brake early for Star Mazda. Just in case, I took an inside line fully intending to back out if there wasn't room. When it was clear there wasn't, I braked hard to surrender the corner. I was on the dirty line and my braking and turning were compromised; that was poor judgement by me... I also didn't expect Robb to take the line he did, and when I tried to turn to avoid him my car understeered badly and we made contact. There was no way I intended to make contact, or intended to force myself alongside in the corner.

I have taken responsibility for the contact and have offered to cover all Robb's damage. Robb has graciously accepted my apology and my offer.

For entirely different reasons, I have resigned from Lotus Cup USA.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
:(

I can understand your decision Andy, I've done the same twice in other race series I was involved in. I hate to see that happen and can only hope you come back even if just for a cameo.

·
lotuschamp014
414 Posts
LCUSA

I for one have enjoyed your friendship and company. I personally will
miss you. We kind of started out together in Lotus Challenge, and you
have become the role model for a Club racer. I hope when things sort
out you'll be back. If there is a "Back" to come back too.
Ya think they put something into the water at the Hotel? We kind of all
went nuts. Except for Jack, he's already there but then again, so am I.
LOL Victorhttp://www.elisetalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

P.S. According to Rob's video you grabbed some air.
Maybe flight school is in your future.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Andy PM me your email...there were obviously incidents and I was involved as well.
All I can say is that your departure from the series will be a misfortune for all of us.
I remember starting with you years ago doing autocross and eventually doing LCS in our Elise/Exiges. We went through a lot together in the beginning. I hate to see you leave.
Hopefully you will at the least come to events for the camraderie.
Honestly, the series is about the friendships we have made and I couldnt have met a nicer group of guys who have a passion for racing Lotus. Hope you'll still hang out with us.
Plus, what then will you post on FB ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts