The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lotus sack 350 people?

Hard to belive, but its on one of the Brit Lotus BBs....from the engineering side....not good.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
758 Posts
... and which 'Brit Lotus BBs' would that be ?

Sorry if I don't take your word for it :)

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
http://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=35731

More Job cuts at Lotus

On Local news this evening
One fifth of workforce, not from production but from engineering side.

Still shrinking
The local paper is always full of:

Lotus take on more staff

Job cuts at lotus

Lotus expand XYZ division

Lotus cut ABC division

Lotus promote new venture, etc, etc

Doubt if I would want a job there...always wondering if you were next.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
lots of folks there. one wonders though if it is not from the engineering services area rather than their own development people. perhaps the economy there is like that here. all the new jobs might invole slinging bangers and mash rather than high tech and engineering

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I bet the Elise's MSRP is going to jump 15-20K for those who don't have theirs by Jan 1, 2006! Just a joke really, I just think this thread needs more controversy.

Will these layoffs effect production?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Kinda stupid if you ask me! If Lotus pulled their head out there are a LOT of aftermarket and personalizing things they could use engineering for which would result in a short turnaround for income. They could also work on the Exige as they have the Elise Federalized.
As I've said before there are very good reason why Lotus has stayed such an impoverished company.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Dan said:
In general, layoffs do not effect production. However, layoffs may affect production. ;)
touche.

again, why assume the layoff involves the people designing lotus products rather than from the rest of their engineering services area of work? if there was a downturn in contracts from outside lotus they'd have no choice but to reduce staffing.

·
Registered
660 Posts
"Lotus just announced tonight a mass of redundancies - I think in Engineering or poss in associated manufacturing. They said on the news that Lotus production was fine but a major client had postponed indefinitely two major porjects so people had to go...for the nth time, poor old Lotus!"

"Apparently it's 1 in 5 of the 1500-strong workforce - 300 souls by my calculations. So that's a dud Christmas for 300 families in Norfolk..."

Per PG Peal

·
Registered
670 Posts
[sarcasm] I hope the layoff was from the Los Angeles portion of the assembly building. You can hardly get through a gas station out here without having to wait behind another damn Elise [/sarcasm]

Steve

·
Registered
468 Posts
trying to confirm the news

Spent sometime on the web looking for authoritative source to confirm this story. Not just a forum but, a news piece. Can someone please give me a thread?

have fun

Nick

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Derek said:
Here's the full story.

from a linked story:

"Both the Elise and the Exige are likely to remain cars for enthusiasts who are prepared to go through an elaborate acrobatic routine every time they get in and out of the car. "

:eek:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
LotusLust said:
from a linked story:

"Both the Elise and the Exige are likely to remain cars for enthusiasts who are prepared to go through an elaborate acrobatic routine every time they get in and out of the car. "

:eek:
A small price to pay, for the reward you get. :cool:

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Based on my experience, company-wide moral tanks after a layoff and takes a while to bounce back, even if the layoff doesn't affect the group you work in. It'll be interesting in seeing if this affects build quality of the Elises in the next month or so.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Has anyone been able to confirm
the person who found the 'clunk, clunk'
sound coming from inside his door panel
and then retrieved from it a large bolt
attached to a note that said, "GO TO
HELL, YOU BLOODY YANKS!"

1 - 20 of 40 Posts