The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
History: Purchased car used on Thursday and it was a trade in and never smogged. I drove the car one night and took it back, per our agreement, so that they (Chevy dealer) could smog it. The tech couldnt get the smog computer to talk to the car, so it went to Lotus San Diego. Lotus as the same issue and contacted corporate for input, claiming they have never seen this before and the issue was "not communicating with CAN network".

Any thoughts? I'm new to Lotus, I've only drive one for a few hours:)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Hey,

I don't have direct experience with this issue, but just FYI, it's california law that the seller be responsible for smog. So if they can't and they try to put it on you, push back... HARD.

Side-note, maybe the car had the ecu swapped? What year is the car and what color are your dials on your dash?

-JM

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah, I'm not worried about the bill, I bought from a big dealer and they have me in a loaner car and all, the dealer will eat whatever lotus charges to get this smogged, I'm more interested in why this happens or if its a clue to something worse down the road.

Its a 2005 and the gauge are white background.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It sounds like the ECU has a tune on it. Have Lotus flash the ECU with the latest firmware and then the smog computer should be able to see it. 2005s have an update that I got and it made the car run very nicely!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Post a picture of the ECU. It will be on the driver's side of the firewall in the engine bay.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If it has a tune, it may be for a reason. There are only a handful of "tuners" out there, and I'm thinking that they may take the VIN when they do the tune, so you may want to reach out to sector, BOE, and Charlie-X and see if they have your VIN listed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
A 2005 will not hook up over CAN, just k-line.
The CAN-bus on these cars (also DBW T4e until 2007) is only for communcation with the instrument cluster.
The ECU must respond to any STD OBD scanner since it uses a STD protocol for generic requests. That said, if it doesn't it could be a disturbed k-line (wire), a tune that blocks the communication (CX did it often in the past so the tune couldn’t be overwritten by the dealer) or the ECU has an internal problem with the transceiver.
More likely it will be a tune.
CX didn't care about the VIN on the older T4s as it got lost when taken out anyway (there was a late update by Lotus much later, 2008 or 2009 I believe, that took care of the VIN issue on MY2005 cars).
If it is one of our tunes done "backdoor"-flashing the ECU, we also didn't care about the VIN for the known reasons, we didn't block the comms in 99% of the cases though.
So if it has a tune inside, it will be a CX tune I guess...
If the dealer can’t flash the ECU, you or the dealer would need to send it to us or another tuner so it gets a std firmware on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great input, thanks. I guess if it was me footing the bill it would be different and I'd call the tune vendors and see if that lead pans out. I dont have the car, I had it one night last week and then it went back to the dealer to finish the registration requirements (smog check).

Lotus is installing a new computer. I asked about flashing the current and they said it wasnt an option. The dealer I bought the car will get billed whatever the cost is and it will take a week to get the part in...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Does this car have mods, it might cause problems changing the tune. if it has a header or cat delete or supercharger than putting stock tune may damage the engine

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FYI that its still at the Lotus Dealer in San Diego. New computer was received and installed and now car wont start. The dealer asked for the other key, so that is going down to them today. The key they have is one of those blackwatch integrated FOB keys. Its been a little over a month without the car.

No major mods that the stock computer would care about.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
If the key has been away from the car for a month, it may require them to re-sync procedure to get it to disable the alarm. A Lotus dealer would know this. If you continue to have problems Fastring, send me a PM. I have a known good stock 05 ECU sitting around. It was pulled from my car, and replaced with a reflashed ECU when I added the supercharger. (I didn't want to wait for the re-flash turn around, so I bought a spare and had it flashed with the Katana265 tune in advance of the supercharger upgrade).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts