The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for the forum

I've got a deposit with the Minneapolis dealership (I've got family there, and it was the shortest line. I'm also in on Criswell's in Maryland at 150). I'm number 37 in MN. They said they've gotten 6 in so far, but one they recieved wasn't allocated to anybody. So, they sold it for 10k over sticker. My question is, is it normal for dealerships to be getting unallocated cars at this point, or should they be all receiving ones that are pre-ordered? I ask because there are only so many combinations with this car and certainly somebody on the list was waiting for the car with these specs. Granted the dealers are entitled to get what they can for a car in high demand, it just seems odd that Lotus would be sending random cars to dealerships with the huge backlogs they all have. btw, they have a black on black that a customer backed out of so it's also for sale at 10k over invoice if anyone's interested. No touring package no sport package, just the base.
Also, I was told I'll be receiving my car in August of next year. Where I am on the list, considering the 6 they've received, that's 3 allocated cars a month for the dealership. That sounds extremely conservative. Now Minnesota is not the hotbed of exotic cars, but they have over 150 people on their waiting list. Is 3 a month way below expectations or is that realistic given the demand for the vehicle? Have other dealerships received alot more than 6-10 vehicles at this point?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
It is my understanding that perhaps a couple cars may have happened that way. A dealer that did not happen for example.

But all the other claims of "extra" cars are crap. Some dealers ordered cars for themselves. Some have cars from people that have dropped off the lists or had multiple orders with the intent of dropping once one order became the soonest.

There are probably a lot of cars from people dropping off.

In some cases, dealers can be selling to other dealers.

There are not a lot of extra unallocated cars floating around.

Some dealers have probably received 10 cars. It is not unrealistic to think in terms of 3 cars per month. It all depends on allocation. Some dealers could be as low as 10 cars a YEAR. Less than one car a month. I have NO idea what that means if one of those dealers has a waiting list of 150 people.

I also think though, that there is a good chance that some of this might solve itself. If the hype and demand die off in the coming months. Lotus ramps up production. If 1000 ghosts on the waiting list (maybe 1/3rd) drop off. If there is no longer going to be a big enough premium to tempt a dealer to sell off a car...

Lists will get filled quicker. I am optimistic about this.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
despite trying i find optimism difficult

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
One reason for my newer optimism... is owning the car.

I can really see those that bought this car because it was new, cool, gets looks, etc.... deciding to sell it. Those that bought it because of it's performance and philosophy will be rewarded.

On the other hand, there is a very likely scenario where demand continues to increase.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response Randy. The Minneapolis dealership has been pretty straight forward with me in the past so I'd assume that the random car they got was one of the scenarios you were referring too. The guy I've been talking too has repeatedly apologized for not having more info and has been very courteous all round. He almost sounded as disappointed as me that I'll be waiting til next fall for my car!

On the bright side, I guess I won't have a hefty car payment to worry about for some time. I just hope I don't start rethinking what color combo I want in the mean time (titanium with black interior, but really leaning toward the red upholstery. Decided not to go with the performance package since the reviews claimed the standard handled well on its own)

Oh, one last note. Talked to Criswell and they're expecting their demo car in January. Someone correct me if they've heard otherwise. Would be nice to drive one before buying it :)

Scott

·
Registered
493 Posts
I believe Criswell sold their demo 3 weeks ago. They got tired of people coming by for test drives, so they sold it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Criswell demo

I think this is a second demo car then. I called on Saturday to see if they had any cars on the lot that hadn't been delivered to owners yet so that I could maybe look at some new colors. No cars on the lot (other than an old press car). When I asked when a new batch was due, they wanted to know if I meant a new demo or customer car. Next customer cars not expected til mid October. I didn't ask about the demo arrival, but I inferred that they will be receiving another demo car in the not too distant future. Not too distant relative to Lotus timeframes, that is. BTW, the guy on the line didn't know offhand what colors were coming next, I'll call back in a few weeks to find out.

·
Registered
538 Posts
We were at Criswell yesterday and there was a SY Elise there ... but it was ours. ;) We just stopped by to pick up the tags and registration. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts