The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should separate the wheat from the chaff most toot sweet my dear muchachos!

What say ye?

:D

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
This should separate the wheat from the chaff most toot sweet my dear muchachos!

What say ye?

Nearly all Lotus dealers initially put premiums, some small, some outrageous on the first imported Elises. Either outright, or play games with the wait list.

Heck, Chryler dealers did it with the PT Cruiser...nearly every car that has pent up interest and demand will cost the first adopters a few extra sheckles.

That will soon pass, though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see ALL Lotus dealers asking a bit more for the first cars, especially the ones they order for resale (as opposed to customer order). I wouldn't begrudge them that either. Soon enough the prices will be at MSRP or less.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Supply and demand like any other business. I'm okay with it and plan to buy it in a couple of years. If you don't like the price don't buy.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not all Lotus dealers will pop that MSRP muchacho!

Nearly all Lotus dealers initially put premiums, some small, some outrageous on the first imported Elises. Either outright, or play games with the wait list.

Heck, Chryler dealers did it with the PT Cruiser...nearly every car that has pent up interest and demand will cost the first adopters a few extra sheckles.

That will soon pass, though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see ALL Lotus dealers asking a bit more for the first cars, especially the ones they order for resale (as opposed to customer order). I wouldn't begrudge them that either. Soon enough the prices will be at MSRP or less.
Only the greedier ones. ;)

Great benchmark actually.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Im tired of this crap! A dealership is a BUISNESS!!!! If we sold cars for what the public wanted.....we all would be CLOSED!! Any brand new model is subject to an intital 'dealer' adjustment........Hey go to the grocery store pick out the items you want .....bring em to the counter....when they ring them up they tell you....'its gonna be $250.00'.....then tell them...... 'well Ill give ya $175.00'.....see where that gets ya......ENOUGH!!!!!!

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're funny... like a little clown muchacho!

So when a dealer sells cars below MSRP, because of a lack of customer demand, does that make them more charitable?

:shrug:
Typically when dealers have to sell vehicles below MSRP they are subsidized by the factory in some way. :rolleyes:

Not charitable... smart.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NEWSFLASH: Dealer profit is already included in that MSRP Mr. Sales Dude!

Im tired of this crap! A dealership is a BUISNESS!!!! If we sold cars for what the public wanted.....we all would be CLOSED!! Any brand new model is subject to an intital 'dealer' adjustment........Hey go to the grocery store pick out the items you want .....bring em to the counter....when they ring them up they tell you....'its gonna be $250.00'.....then tell them...... 'well Ill give ya $175.00'.....see where that gets ya......ENOUGH!!!!!!
There are dealer local market adjustments and there are dealer local market adjustments! :rolleyes:

In this economy I'd go with the dealership that wants to be up front and a square shooter. Have to add that you'd better believe that in life... EVERYTHING is negotiable! ;)

So the new Evore will now be $95,000 when competing with all the other sports car offerings Fuzz? That's good for you?

:huh:

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds like a personal attack Fuzz!

You working part-time for the Lotus dealers union now or what? :rolleyes:

So far only Criswell has declared that the Evora will be sold by them at MSRP. Truly believe that this is a great move on their part and... posting it here on Dogpatch is an even better one!

:up:

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Only the greedier ones. ;)

Great benchmark actually.

Actually no. It is the rare dealer/seller of ANYTHING that will not ask the maximum for a product the market will accept. The ones going lower in an active market are going for volume, which of course won't apply to the Evora. Those going lower in a slow/dead market are trying to cut losses and rid themselves of expensive inventory.

Little thing called supply and demand. Perhaps you've heard of it? No, maybe not. If Criswell winds up truly being unique in offering the car at MSRP, they're simply underbidding the competition to get more orders for a limited number of total sales..ie a greater market share. Less markup on more units. Time will tell to what extent the strategy does or does not work for them, or if they truly will sell cars off the lot at MSRP, or intend to take pre-orders only at MSRP while inventory sales have the markup...which is what most dealers did when the Elise came out.

The beauty of supply/demand is that the pricing is self leveling, and adjusts for the seller's wishful thinking. If a market adjustment is unacceptable to the market, the cars will languish. This past week, I've seen a ZR1 Corvette and Nissan GTR, both at their respective dealerships for a couple of months (the Nissan much longer) with $20K to $30K market adjustments. At some point the dealers will realize that won't fly.

However, who can blame them, other than DU of course, for floating past the early adopters that if they want to be at the front of the line for the product, there is a premium to be paid? Once the market's tolerance for this is gone, prices will adjust.

When you sold your Elise...did you ask as much as you felt you could get for it? Or was it a necessary sale because you were in over your head, and you were willing to take the hit?

If you were saying "Make me an offer," knowing cars identical to yours were selling for, say $25K, and somebody offered you $30K, would you have said..."Oh, no, no, no...I couldn't take more than $25K"?

Really?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
A little fuzzy on free market capitalism Hoople?

Typically when dealers have to sell vehicles below MSRP they are subsidized by the factory in some way. :rolleyes:

Not charitable... smart.

Typically? Like the 2006/7 Lotus cars that are still on dealer lots? :rolleyes:

What's smart is selling your products at the price the market will bear... if there are people who are willing to pay over MSRP for something that you are not, then <b>they</b> are your problem; not the dealer.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Think Criswell is doing it right muchacho!

Actually no. It is the rare dealer/seller of ANYTHING that will not ask the maximum for a product the market will accept. The ones going lower in an active market are going for volume, which of course won't apply to the Evora. Those going lower in a slow/dead market are trying to cut losses and rid themselves of expensive inventory.

Little thing called supply and demand. Perhaps you've heard of it? No, maybe not. If Criswell winds up truly being unique in offering the car at MSRP, they're simply underbidding the competition to get more orders for a limited number of total sales..ie a greater market share. Less markup on more units. Time will tell to what extent the strategy does or does not work for them, or if they truly will sell cars off the lot at MSRP, or intend to take pre-orders only at MSRP while inventory sales have the markup...which is what most dealers did when the Elise came out.

When you sold your Elise...did you ask as much as you felt you could get for it? Or was it a necessary sale because you were in over your head, and you were willing to take the hit?

If you were saying "Make me an offer," knowing cars identical to yours were selling for, say $25K, and somebody offered you $30K, would you have said..."Oh, no, no, no...I couldn't take more than $25K"?

Really?
Criswell is happy with their profit already factored into that MSRP it would appear. Dealers popping the MSRP $10,000 and north are just greedy bastards. Plain and simple. :rolleyes:

The dealership profit margin on the Buzzbomb's MSRP was around 8%... but that was on a $45,000 vehicle. What's the vig on an Evora?

Sold my Buzzbomb that was just over 2 years old to a great friend of mine for $20,000. Appears us ******** in the oil business tend to be simpatico to one another. ;)

You willing to pay $90,000 or $90,000 for an Evora?

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Criswell is happy with their profit already factored into that MSRP it would appear. Dealers popping the MSRP $10,000 and north are just greedy bastards. Plain and simple. :rolleyes:

The dealership profit margin on the Buzzbomb's MSRP was around 8%... but that was on a $45,000 vehicle. What's the vig on an Evora?

Sold my Buzzbomb that was just over 2 years old to a great friend of mine for $20,000. Appears us ******** in the oil business tend to be simpatico to one another. ;)

You willing to pay $90,000 or $90,000 for an Evora?

A simple "No, I don't really understand the concept of supply and demand." would've sufficed. rotfl

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Promise never to open a dealership Fuzz!

Typically? Like the 2006/7 Lotus cars that are still on dealer lots? :rolleyes:

What's smart is selling your products at the price the market will bear... if there are people who are willing to pay over MSRP for something that you are not, then <b>they</b> are your problem; not the dealer.
Sure why not jerk the general public about some more? :rolleyes:

If Lotus had been smarter they would have MSRP'ed the Buzzbomb at $35,999 or so. Not much to that car. They would have sold each and everyone built toot sweet.

So far we have Criswell alone standing proud in the face of all this captialism!

rotfl

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
If my post is a personal attack, then this whole thread is a personal attack against all dealers - you've called them greedy bastards.

The only reason things get sold anywhere is because two people agree on a price.

If having the first black Evora in the country is so important to me that I'm willing to pay $5000 over MSRP to a dealer who is asking for it, then guess what... I'm a satisfied customer. You really think that anyone who is going to pay $5K over MSRP for a car at this price point really doesn't understand that they can get a car from either another dealer or at a later date without paying that $5K markup? The dealership asking for the 5K over MSRP is being a straight shooter. They are saying 'Hey, we think we can get this much more than MSRP for this car because there are some folks who are willing to pay it. Are you one of those folks? Nope? Hey no biggie, we'll wait for one of those folks'.

Just because you happen to think less of the dealer for doing so, doesn't mean that they are 'greedy bastards'.

So after the Evora is around for a while I'm going to imagine that some dealers will be offering discounts off of MSRP. Are you going to make a post about 'Dealers who stick with MSRP for their cars are greedy bastards compared to dealers who discount off of MSRP'?

When another dealership goes out of business and offers 10K off of MSRP for their last remaining cars are you going to make a post about any dealer who doesn't do the same is a greedy bastard?

I'm kind of pissed off at myself for feeding the troll, but you really are a troll. Every single one of your posts has some kind of snide or derogatory comment in it. You offer nothing of value to the Lotus community.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You never answered my question amigo!

A simple "No, I don't really understand the concept of supply and demand." would've sufficed. rotfl
Would you pay $90,000 for an Evora?

Think a $90,000 Lotus Evora will be a match now against a Porsche?

Well professor?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Would you pay $90,000 for an Evora?

Think a $90,000 Lotus Evora will be a match now against a Porsche?

Well professor?

:rolleyes:
Wow. Just wow. What I personally am willing to pay for the Evora, the next Esprit, or my next house isn't relevant. I think the extent to whether or not I believe a $90K Evora is a saleable concept is fairly obvious in my posts. Read them more slowwlllly..

Wait a minute...cowboy...you claim to be in the oil business and YOU are complaining about a business charging the maximum the market will bear????:shrug::panic::crazyeyesrotfl

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why are you always so agitated and shrill amigo?

If my post is a personal attack, then this whole thread is a personal attack against all dealers - you've called them greedy bastards.

I'm kind of pissed off at myself for feeding the troll, but you really are a troll. Every single one of your posts has some kind of snide or derogatory comment in it. You offer nothing of value to the Lotus community.
You Keepers of the Fu never cease to amaze me. This thread simply stated which Lotus dealerships will be selling the Evora at MSRP. So far we have one. ;)

You do realize that a substantial dealer profit is all ready factored into that MSRP do you not? Think they need the extra cash for Hooter's Girls and hot wings?

rotfl

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
He doesn't have to answer your question.

Again, you seem to lack the basic understanding of supply and demand.

It doesn't matter if he would pay $90K for an Evora just as long as SOMEONE would. To the CEO of my company (net worth over 20 Billion) 90K is the equivalent of one of us less rich folks buying a piece of penny candy. Maybe to him 90K is a fair price because then he won't have to deal with the hassle of going somewhere else. Maybe 10K over list is just fine because if he took the 15 minutes it would take to call another dealer to see if they had that car it would cost him MORE than 10K in lost opportunities.

You post is basically: I'm mad that some people value having things more than I do, so I'm going to attack the people who sell those people things for more than I am willing to pay. Sounds like a personal attack to me.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts