The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Matthew Hordley, 25, was driving a white Lotus Elise sports car along Thornborough Road, in Coalville, when it was in collision with a Ford Focus.

Tragic accident victim killed by crash injuries | Leicester Mercury

:sad:

..."Mr Hordley suffered severe injuries to his chest and abdomen during the collision and died as a result."

..."But damage to the vehicles is consistent with impact speeds of between 25mph and 35mph for both."

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Condolences

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
"But damage to the vehicles is consistent with impact speeds of between 25mph and 35mph for both."

Mr Hordley had not been wearing a seatbelt.

Pc Bird's investigation could not find any CCTV evidence for the position of the Ford Focus prior to the collision.

Trevor Kirkman, senior coroner for Rutland and North Leicestershire, said the circumstances of the crash had been explored in a "higher court".

He was referring to the trial of the Focus driver, Sarah Ryan (25), of Farley Crescent, Ibstock, held at Leicester Crown Court in January.

During her trial, Ms Ryan said she had been dazzled by the headlights of Mr Hordley's approaching car seconds before the collision."

That's a 70MPH impact with no seat belt. It happened 12/2012

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Very sorry to hear that, my prayers with the family!! but this accident happened in 2012, why are we talking about it now?

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
So if some dizzy ding dong drives on the wrong side of the road and hits you head on it's just fine?

Not wearing a seat belt is, well, should not speak badly of the dead I guess. But I could not imagine doing such myself.

Stuff like that "higher court" verdict always makes me wonder what really happened, behind closed doors. Who actually made such a call (I reserve the word decision here, that implies reason) and based on what?

·
Dog Pilot
75 Posts
"But damage to the vehicles is consistent with impact speeds of between 25mph and 35mph for both."

Mr Hordley had not been wearing a seatbelt.

Pc Bird's investigation could not find any CCTV evidence for the position of the Ford Focus prior to the collision.

Trevor Kirkman, senior coroner for Rutland and North Leicestershire, said the circumstances of the crash had been explored in a "higher court".

He was referring to the trial of the Focus driver, Sarah Ryan (25), of Farley Crescent, Ibstock, held at Leicester Crown Court in January.

During her trial, Ms Ryan said she had been dazzled by the headlights of Mr Hordley's approaching car seconds before the collision."

That's a 70MPH impact with no seat belt. It happened 12/2012

Where do you see 70 MPH? I thought it said 25 - 35 MPH for both vehicles, so it would be a 25 - 35 MPH impact. A Ford Focus is not substantially more massive than an Elise, so the joules imparted from the Focus to the Elise would not account for nearly double the energy. It was, for Mr. Hordly, no more than a 40 MPH impact with the mass disparity between the two vehicles. Maybe 45 MPH if she was hauling several bags of sand.

That said... WTF. A 40 MPH impact results in lethal damage? I realize there was no seatbelt, but would sure like to know more as to what happened during that event to cause an instantly lethal impact at that speed.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Since it was uk, it might not have had airbags

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
Saw that. Difficult to say if would have made a difference.
Given that the occupants of the other car were all unharmed I think it is reasonable to imagine a seatbelt would have made a difference :9

Since it was uk, it might not have had airbags
Correct - early S2 so no airbag.

That said airbags are designed to work with seatbelts...

·
Registered
275 Posts
25-35mph if true, he would have had a large chance of surviving if he had the seat belt on.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts