The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
_JD_ said:
Did you post a review/report Patriko? I'd like to read about what you saw.
I went to visit the Lotus factory test track at Hethel in England about 10 days ago.

It was Sunday and I had to sign my life away...I did not see anything but a bunch of finished Elises and VXR220s that looked ready to get sent out.

I did the Lotus Driver Training and I was amazing :D Hyla Breese was my instructor and he is great:bow: http://www.hylabreese.co.uk/

We got there at 8:45AM and did not leave until after 6PM and all we did all day was drive Elises:D

I have never learned so much in one day, it was the best use of 600 quid ever:clap:

It was just me and one of my friends that lives in the UK and Hyla. (Alistair McQueen was also there instructing a two other people)

We started in the morning learning car control on the wet skid pad then we did a slalom course on the main straight. for the last 1/3 of the day we did laps of the full Lotus test track, I was doing about 130MPH at the end of the straight in a standard 111s with stock everything. It was great and I can't recommend it enough.

Patrick

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a better picture and I could not figure out how to get rid of the other one...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Were you able to get any info on the fed Elise such as how many cars have been built and such.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just hanging with the Motorsport guys and they don't know about any of the production issues...they are totaly seperate.

BTW if you look at the corner in the lower left of the picture (Windstock corner just after the Senna Curves) I was taking that flat at something over 100MPH in a basic 111S:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Thanks for the picture, Patrick. That's my new desktop! :)

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Goose said:
Thanks for the picture, Patrick. That's my new desktop! :)
If you want a very hires one let me know:)

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hermanslotus said:
Patricko,

Track Days are awesome. I just returned from Watkins Glen with the boys from Huntring Ridge. Had a blast!!!!

Mitch
It was awesome but it was the level and quality of the instruction as well as the historical setting that really did it for me. For any EliseTalkers that are going to the UK I would say it is a must:clap: :bow:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I love how a fatory such as Lotus is built around a test track, it tells me right a way what the emphasis of their vehicles is on. Got to love a company that takes such pride in making a car that is good for the track unlike 99% of the industry wordwide.

Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NtflBlueLiz said:
I love how a fatory such as Lotus is built around a test track, it tells me right a way what the emphasis of their vehicles is on. Got to love a company that takes such pride in making a car that is good for the track unlike 99% of the industry wordwide.

Thanks for the pics!
I guess a picture is worth a 1,000 words...:)

BTW for anyone that is thinking of visiting Lotus it is a very long way from anywhere. I would take the train to Norwich and get a cab from there. Also you need to make an appointment if you want to visit, you can not just show up.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is a picture of an Elise coming out of the North Hairpin on the track at Hethel. I don't think that is the fast line:D

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Patricko said:
If you want a very hires one let me know:)
Please!!!
Ideally at or above 1600x1200.
Much thanks!
Larry

And thanks for the post on your experience.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
"If you want a very hires one let me know" - Patricko

YES - I'd love it

BTW - thanks for the wonderful pics - I envy your trip to the factory and driving experience especially having Hyla instructing. You're a lucky sod (is sod good or bad?) is sod like SOB here? LOL

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Yes thanks Patricko- that had to be incredible- and only one other person in your group? Awesome.:up:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
_JD_ said:
Yes thanks Patricko- that had to be incredible- and only one other person in your group? Awesome.:up:
Yes, it was and the other person in my group is one of my best friends that happens to live in the UK:D

BTW The Lotus Driver Training is always two students to one instructor:cool:

·
Registered
971 Posts
NtflBlueLiz said:

Thanks for the pics!
The main straight of the track was a runway for B-24s in WWII. Chapman used it and the taxiways as the basis for his track. The original factory buildings are converted hangars.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lbonham said:
Please!!!
Ideally at or above 1600x1200.
Much thanks!
Larry

And thanks for the post on your experience.
By popular demand here is the full res picture:D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts