The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am jumping back into the forum after being away for a while. I recently moved to the UK for work and signed up for one of the experiences at the Lotus Driving Academy. Has anyone done one of these before? Welcome any thoughts. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I've been to Hethel twice. The first was just a factory/CTL tour and a year or so later I did the short driving experience. It's been a while, so I don't know how much it has changed but it was a great time. My brother was with me and had never done anything like that prior and had a fantastic time also. The instrutors/staff were great. I was greatly disappointed to find out I had never gotten anywhere close to my Elises abilities!!! I can't wait to make it back one of these years.

Reactions: Kubera

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,214 Posts
I wonder if they are open now with this COVID situation

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if they are open now with this COVID situation
The running I am in is for Aug. I originally was in the April running but that one was canceled due to COVID.

They sent me a Lotus Driving School coffee mug for signing up!

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
The running I am in is for Aug. I originally was in the April running but that one was canceled due to COVID.

They sent me a Lotus Driving School coffee mug for signing up!
Pic of the mug plz!

Reactions: kestrou

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm interested in reviews of the Lotus Driving School from those that have attended - as I could be talked into it! :)

Kevin

·
Registered
173 Posts
I did the first weekend available this year right before the COVID deal - highly recommended. They have LHDs available, and the day was broken up between seat time and factory tours. Other guys who had been to other manufacturers said this was the most time spent in the car for the money. Instructors were fantastic, and I hope to make it back for the next level sometime in the future. Bonus pic of the mug below.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Cool!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I went about five years ago. I originally set up a small group session for four people but travel plans changed and I ended up with solo instruction. It was a great day on the track. Made some nice progress in the car. There are different car options and I scheduled a short control session in the Elise and then track time in the Exige 260. Good instruction. Good day. Be sure to request and then remind them if you want left or right hand drive. You may be able to schedule a tour at the factory the same day. Also think about a tour at Classic Lotus (the old factory across the street) that is now the restoration shop run by Clive Chapman.

·
Recent Lotus Convert
2020 Evora GT
35 Posts
I went this past October (3 day course, got cut short due to heavy rain), I really liked it (got a cup, and a pen too). I have been to several high performance driving events over the years, but never enough to be proficient. I was very rusty (not that I was ever really that good anyway). After I got back, I read "Speed Secrets". I recommend reading it before you go. This book really connected the different elements of driving the way the school did not.

Go in with an attitude of safety first, then have fun. Learn first, slowly, then speed up. I figured I was probably a middle schooler due to my past experience, but was at an elementary level. (still am). It's hard to be good.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
I went last year. My wife bought me a 3 day package for my 40th bday. It was an awesome experience. The factory tour was fantastic. Our guide, Guy, knew so much about the Lotus history.
The driving itself was also very memorable. The instructors were great. My only complaint was there was only one LHD Elise and we had to share. I’m so right handed dominant that I couldn’t get used to the RHD cars. That ruined the experience for me a bit. I just felt so clumsy. At the end of the program I received a certificate, a car detailing kit, and of course the mug.
It was truly one of the best things I’ve ever done in life.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
There use to be a group down in Texas but I think they sold their Exiges.
Later,
Eldon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts