The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to know ( I am leading towards Evora ) how many of you were convertible drivers and went for the Non Convertible Lotus and
never looked back ?

What was it that gave you this feeling of ownership of the Lotus that the convertible was no longer needed or wanted ?

Or do most long for a convertible Lotus Evora?:scratchhead:

·
Toys R us!
273 Posts
For me personally, i have a C6 vert but i kept it and still got the evora.
i dont care for convertibles ...they scream "look at me" wayyy to much IMO..no regrets getting the evora...and i keep the vette top up at all times..:) i bought it for the lines..she was sexier than a coupe at that time..
What kind of convertible do you have? Maybe you should have both? :)

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
A convertible is like a really beautiful woman. Everyone should have one sometime just to learn how aggravating and impractical they are.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a Panoz Roadster until spring this yr and had 3 wheeler cars until spring also.
today I have a 2001 Honda S2000 and just to plain a car for my ownership.
Nice car to drive but every time I get out want to see sportier car sitting there.
I also have a 1958 Jeep truck custom FC170 that I have right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the Triking 3 wheeler

I luv this but with NJ traffic and being 30" tall and 10' long my wife did not like riding in it for it was to small..I really miss this toy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Loved my Elise ~20day/yr with top off. Don't miss it and I'd love to see the cancer statisitics on Vert drivers. I know Ivburned in Elise more than once!

·
Registered
94 Posts
We would take off the Elise roof in March and put it back on in October. But we really preferred it with the hard top on. So, to solve the problem, I bought an '69 Alfa Spider and leave that roof down for fresh air cruising and now leave the roof on the Lotus. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just traded my Boxster in for an Evora, and my girlfriend misses it a ton but I only do a little. The only practicality thing with the Boxster was it was annoying to make sure you didn't get soap on it while washing. I still wouldn't take an Evora through a machine wash, so it's not like it's that much easier to clean.

Also if you go soft top convertible you *cannot* be a perfectionist, because stuff will always be clinging to it and you'll inevitably get fold marks and maybe a couple scuffs just from opening/closing it. I will say the Boxster was great in that it could lower it in 9 seconds at up to 30mph, so you could almost always have it down and be ready for inclement weather.

You'll get more rattles over time in most convertibles but you also will in a hand assembled car like a Lotus.

I think the biggest argument against a convertible vs an Evora is that if you can afford an Evora you can almost certainly afford an Evora + a Miata for ~$5-8k, for all your don't-care top-down thrills. I intend to go this route probably next spring!

Bottom line; drive something with the top down and drive the Evora and see what you fall in love the most with.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I think targas like the corvettes and Eliges are great compromises, though the hard top is enough of an inconvenience that I usually just left it on. The soft top doesn't look as good to some eyes, but quiets down the cabin a lot and is easy enough to take on and off pretty quick. Having the rear glass and pillars means you don't feel as exposed as in a convertible, but almost just as open-air

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
But, if/when a drophead (or whatever they will call it) Evora variant comes along, I'd be tempted to trade. Probably look something like the McLaren I'd expect. And over six digits.

·
Registered
795 Posts
My last two cars were convertibles, but for me that was an aberration. I've always preferred coupes and thought of them as more geared to guys who like driving serious driver's cars. That said, the 987 Spyder has to rank as one of the best roadsters ever made. Had Porsche provided two to three more inches of legroom, I'd be tempted to call it damn near perfect. The Evora is a more masculine car and a lot easier on the ears.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I was waiting for the topless evora. A sports car is about going topless to me. My Exige is topless converted and I have had the hardtop on once in two years. My other car is a M3 convertible hardtop, which is almost as good as a coupe for the purist and a quiet drive but is worth the weight penalty ;)

if you're like me, you'll get tired of the hardtop quickly and will start jealously watching convertibles drive by on beautiful days.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I used to drive a convertible – Honda S2000. It was fun and I had a great driving experience with the top down during the cool summer. Then, I got the Elise which is semi-convertible and I love it for the handling and rawness. Now, I moved onto an Evora and I think it is a perfect car for me now and I can enjoy it with my kids. For me, it's like been there, done that, and move on.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I came from a 911 Targa and miss the targa top somedays but I just press my right foot a bit more and forget all about that nonsense lol.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I love convertibles!

We currently have a MGA, MGB, Fiat 850, Lotus M100 Elan, Ferrari 355, BMW 330, and Audi S4 – all convertibles . We also have an Esprit and I want an Evora…..but would never not have a convertible.

If I could only have one of those…it would be the MGA. Personally, I would miss having a convertible. I simply love driving with the top down.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
I bought my Evora first, and would never trade it for any convertible. But I did miss the whole top-down experience (had a Miata quite a while ago) and ended up buying a Boxster in addition to the Evora. If Lotus ever makes an affordable drop-top Evora or Esprit, I would happily trade my current Evora and Boxster for that.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I really like the convertible aspect of the Elise.

For my next car I would have no hesitation buying a convertible Evora but I'd really need to think over whether a hardtop Evora would be "it" for me. I'd probably check out other brands first.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts