The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Corvette Lemans Blue
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at an Elise in what I'm told is candy red looks magenta. Would this have been a specially ordered option done at the factory? Here's a link to an auto trader ad (please delete if not allowed) just trying to get more info. I have tried searching for info on this and the thing I found was saying it was offered in 2008 on the Exige.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Certainly a fun color, if you like it.

Good miles, check the condition, they are not giving it away.

Hardtop?
No LSS
Does have touring

It is a 'strong' enough color that if you do not like it, don't buy it.

IF you think it is fun, yes it is all the money, but it is low miles, so , not a bad bet

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Given the current market if it’s condition checks out appropriately priced. And given you can count thr number of Candy Red Elises on the fingers of one hand.

Reactions: TechnoHippie

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,738 Posts
Interesting that this car was shown by a new member as her car in the last two weeks or so. I guess she decided to sell it. She was from Las Vegas so it matches.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting that this car was shown by a new member as her car in the last two weeks or so. I guess she decided to sell it. She was from Las Vegas so it matches.
Care to share the link to the post?

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,738 Posts
It's pink color and yes factory color. Not many people ordered that color so rare.
Which one is it? I don't think it was a factory color at all. The following may not be 100% accurate but I don't think they missed a color. Lotus did use the Candy Red as a Exige color but not until 2007 or 2008. I strongly believe it has been repainted.

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,738 Posts
Care to share the link to the post?
Really? I will if I have time but you can search just as easily. Let me see....
New Member Here

Some pictures are actually shared between the sale ad and her new member intro.

Reactions: DannyTheDonk

·
Registered
522 Posts
Which one is it? I don't think it was a factory color at all. The following may not be 100% accurate but I don't think they missed a color. Lotus did use the Candy Red as a Exige color but not until 2007 or 2008. I strongly believe it has been repainted.

View attachment 1289263
I forget the name of the color, but I'm positive it's a factory color and that there is more than one of them. VIN # and call to dealership should get you actual name of color.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Really? I will if I have time but you can search just as easily. Let me see....
New Member Here

Some pictures are actually shared between the sale ad and her new member intro.
Sorry didn't realize it was a simple search thank you for sharing. I appreciate all the help here from the members so far.

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,738 Posts
Sorry didn't realize it was a simple search thank you for sharing. I appreciate all the help here from the members so far.
Sorry, I did not realize that you were brand new, I did not mean to be hard on you. Since you are looking at the car, make sure to get it inspected at the Lotus dealer, ask for a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) so you don't find any hidden issues. CarFax too obviously. Then search this forum for the many posts about what to look for if you are purchasing. This site has a wealth of info. If you like the color and everything turns out good, then good luck with the purchase. Not the best time to buy unfortunately due to the inflated COVID pricing. Probably why she decided to sell so quickly. I'm sure she is reading this too.... LOL

·
Registered
522 Posts
The fact that the wheel centers and calipers are painted the same color would make me think that it is a custom paint job.
Good point, but I've seen similar pics, although I suppose it could be same car. Get VIN# and you can find out what color it was when it left factory.

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,738 Posts
Good point, but I've seen similar pics, although I suppose it could be same car. Get VIN# and you can find out what color it was when it left factory.
From the Autotrader ad VIN: SCCPC11126HL30623

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, I did not realize that you were brand new, I did not mean to be hard on you. Since you are looking at the car, make sure to get it inspected at the Lotus dealer, ask for a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) so you don't find any hidden issues. CarFax too obviously. Then search this forum for the many posts about what to look for if you are purchasing. This site has a wealth of info. If you like the color and everything turns out good, then good luck with the purchase. Not the best time to buy unfortunately due to the inflated COVID pricing. Probably why she decided to sell so quickly. I'm sure she is reading this too.... LOL
No sweat man, no offense was taken. I should've thought ahead to try searching. How much are these up in price? I haven't followed pricing as I've just begun looking, but based on the info I've gathered with the mileage of this one it seems fairly priced not as high as what some are asking.

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
978 Posts
No sweat man, no offense was taken. I should've thought ahead to try searching. How much are these up in price? I haven't followed pricing as I've just begun looking, but based on the info I've gathered with the mileage of this one it seems fairly priced not as high as what some are asking.
That price seems in the range, but I’d get ALOTTT more information about the car if this is one you’re interested in. Especially if it’s changed hands multiple times in a short time.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
683 Posts
I'm seeing signs here of "keep your hand firmly on your wallet." Autocheck says the car was last registered 7/21/2020 in Florida and is still there. License plate on the car in the pics clearly says "Florida." Seller in Vegas. Poster says they just bought the car <2 weeks ago. Pics in the ad are identical to pics posted. Just if it was me, I'd be looking at the car IN PERSON and looking at the title IN PERSON and looking for a name on the title that matched whoever was taking my money and a state on the title that matched wherever I was buying the car. But that's just me.

·
Registered
2009 Elise SC
42 Posts
How much are these up in price? I haven't followed pricing as I've just begun looking, but based on the info I've gathered with the mileage of this one it seems fairly priced not as high as what some are asking.
I've spent a lot of time looking at Elises in the past month, and trying to find historical pricing data to see how much prices have increased. Looking at Bring a Trailer (Elise) - which is admittedly only one data point - prices look to be up about 20% in the past year, but that doesn't necessarily account for variant and condition. Not that BAT prices are representative of the entire market, but relative increase in price probably is. In general, exotic cars have generally gone up less than "normal" cars, some of which are up 30% or more (Used Car Price Trends - CarGurus). I'll be surprised if they drop considerably in the next year since the current shortage of new cars - which is driving the used car market - is predicted to continue into 2022. And I expect that the Elise won't drop much at all when the rest of the market settles, because its value isn't driven by a lack of new cars. The Elise is sort of along for the ride with the rest of the used car market, but it's a collectors' car now, so the supply/demand dynamic won't be tangled with the supply of new cars. And now that prices are up, they'll become the new expectation.

I'm not a market analyst, so this is just my uneducated opinion. And I just bought an Elise, so I'm biased... 😉

Oh - and that pink car makes me nervous for many of the reasons noted by others in this thread. I have nothing new to add - just another vote for being careful with that one.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts