The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BaT Auctions has a beautiful 2008 Lotus Elise SC edition in Ardent Red with 4900 miles on the block in a no reserve auction. This car has only 4900 miles and with 6 days to go, it already has a bid of $37,500.00. Although it looks like it is in pristine condition, my question is does letting a car sit for 14 years and not driving it help or hurt it. It seems to me like buying a very old bottle of wine, until you open it up, you don't know if it's good or bad so you just don't open it so it continues to goes up in value. I buy wine to drink.

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Elise SC
45 Posts
I had a look at the comments on BaT. They seem to be asking some good questions about the interior trim and other options. It's a pity that it is up for sale by a dealership and not the original owner. The seller does seem quite committed to addressing the questions raised.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My guess is mid to high 50s, but I could be wrong. Wish they would put up another non-SC Elise close to me so I can bid :)

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
I had a look at the comments on BaT. They seem to be asking some good questions about the interior trim and other options. It's a pity that it is up for sale by a dealership and not the original owner. The seller does seem quite committed to addressing the questions raised.
While it is an unusual trim option, it is mostly people who think they know more than they do.
Probably the most desirable Elise.
I think cloth with the hand cranks is the coolest, but I do like power windows.

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Elise SC
45 Posts
While it is an unusual trim option, it is mostly people who think they know more than they do.
Probably the most desirable Elise.
I think cloth with the hand cranks is the coolest, but I do like power windows.
Very interesting. I always wondered about the credibility of typical "top commenters" on BaT. You seem to be saying that the trim is legit. This is useful information for @DJM1 as a prospective bidder. BTW, I am sure I just purchased the most desirable Elise. :)

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
Well, to avoid being what I critique, it is very likely the trim is legit. People pretend to know everything about a low production car. All sorts of things are possible, but I get peeved at people crapping on other people's auctions when they really are not sure of what they are talking about.
Cloth seats were available and thus would be correct for the car, whether they were changed we really don't know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do understand why someone would pay $60,000+ for such a pristine example of an Elise because if I had the money I would too. However, what I have noticed on BaT is that the bidding is not done based on the true value of the car but rather the competitive excitement on the part of the bidders to win at all cost while being egged on by the other non-bidding spectators telling them the car Is worth much more. I think @Paul M. and @SCamper set a golden bar in how a sale/purchase should be conducted. @Paul got a beautiful, well cared for and fairly priced Elise from @SCamper who has the satisfaction of knowing that his baby is being well cared for. I know because as I drove away from the previous owner with my new 2009 Pontiac Solstice hardtop coupe, he stood in front of his house waving with teary eyes and watched me drive away until I was out of view. If I were to ever sell my Solstice (I won’t), I would sacrifice some profits for the quality of the future caregiver. P.S. @Paul, I prefer the yellow over red too.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Vehicle registration plate

I know because as I drove away from the previous owner with my new 2009 Pontiac Solstice hardtop coupe, he stood in front of his house waving with teary eyes and watched me drive away until I was out of view. If I were to ever sell my Solstice (I won’t), I would sacrifice some profits for the quality of the future caregiver. P.S. @Paul, I prefer the yellow over red too.
Is your Solstice a GXP or NA car? I had an NA. I liked it ok, but wasn't as enthused. I owned an Exige at the same time, and it just spoils you for just about any other sports car. The Solstice just didn't feel like a sports car when I drove it. It was my daily driver.

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Cloud

·
Registered
90 Posts
My guess is mid to high 50s, but I could be wrong. Wish they would put up another non-SC Elise close to me so I can bid :)
Mark if it is the car you like, I wouldn't worry about it being close to you. I've bought several cars from across the country sight unseen and at least 10 motorcycles.

The first car was off Ebay back in 2004. I find when you are out of state and especially with sites like BAT, the seller will really try to be your eyes, versus the old days when you went to see something and they tried to hide everything.

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Elise SC
45 Posts
I think @Paul M. and @SCamper set a golden bar in how a sale/purchase should be conducted. @Paul got a beautiful, well cared for and fairly priced Elise from @SCamper who has the satisfaction of knowing that his baby is being well cared for.
Wow, @DJM1, I didn't think the way the deal went between and @SCamper and me was that obvious from our posts! We were indeed fortunate that we are very compatible personality-wise, so it worked out very well. The degree to which Alex cared for his beautiful Elise was apparent in many ways, including the immaculate condition of the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@430r. I have a silver automatic n/a. Wanted the 5 speed but none were available at the time so I jumped on it. It was a low mileage car that looked like it just rolled off the assembly line. I think the Exige, Elise and Solstice (as well as the Jaguar type e fixed head coupe and Kellison) are unique engineering works of art. As you know, the Solstice is a comfortable long distance sports car that is somewhat lose (unless modified) and doesn’t provide you with that true car/driver bond you get driving your Exige. After driving a Elise for the first time I realize this and am now hooked on eventually owning one. However an Exige would be better. Let me know if you ever hear of any reasonably priced ones preferably in blue or your red. Maybe I can follow in your footsteps.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
@DJM1 @4380r Somehow I feel obligated to post these pics taken minutes ago in my garage... :D
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

09 Pontiac Solstice GXP 5M
08 S240

Love the power feeling in the Solstice and the looks, but feels like a boat whenever I get out of one of my Eliges..

Reactions: Racingrob

·
Registered
90 Posts
@DJM1 @4380r Somehow I feel obligated to post these pics taken minutes ago in my garage... :D
View attachment 1323681

View attachment 1323682

View attachment 1323683

09 Pontiac Solstice GXP 5M
08 S240

Love the power feeling in the Solstice and the looks, but feels like a boat whenever I get out of one of my Eliges..
Man you have two of the best colors for Eliges, IMO. They look great.

I've never driven a Solstice, didn't realize they were so popular with the enthusiast crowd.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Back to the original topic - the car is beautiful and deserves high bids, but the options and aftermarket add-ons raise a lot of questions that unfortunately have yet to be answered - as noted. It should go for quite a bit but if sorted could go even higher.

As far as the comments about folks who don't know what they are talking about posting comments on the auction - well, they have about as much to back up their comments as the seller does at this point - and they aren't selling the car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mark if it is the car you like, I wouldn't worry about it being close to you. I've bought several cars from across the country sight unseen and at least 10 motorcycles.
Working on buying a LT car here soon, and it'll be a 10+ hour drive home. When I bought my Alfa 4C, I flew in to Cincinnati to buy the car and drove it home to DC that day.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts