The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone had a similar experience.

I recnetly moved to NJ and registered 4 cars - my wife's Impreza, my Mazdaspeed3, my miata and my elise. Two weeks ago I sent the DMV an application for handicaped placard for my 5-years old son. The placard is not car specific. On Friday, a person from the NJ DMV called my house and talked to my wife. He questioned how is it possible that an owner of a Lotus Elise would handicaped placard for his son. She told him of course that she needs it the most and that we have other cars. I hope it would be resolved. Was just very surprised.

Anyone had a similar experience?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
i have a handicap card that can move from car to car.
i sometimes get a funny look when i park the elise in a handicap spot.
i usually tell them "i wasn't handicapped til i started to drive the lotus"
that gets a laugh.
i don't know if it's legal or not to photocopy a card so you have the same documentation in each car....(or motorcycle, in miniature...)
i've never had a problem.
as long as the person with the need is legit and using it properly, i can't see any reason for trouble.
sam

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I know of one Lotus owner that has one, and know of another owner who has a handicapped license plate on her Lotus.

My friend is handicapped and cant walk far, so when we go to concerts or crowded events in the Lotus we use the placard so that we can park up close. Never had anyone question me but in FL about 40% of the population is old and seems to have them when they aren't really in need of them.

My mom has lung cancer and cant walk far either but she refuses to get a placard since she believes that only people in wheelchairs or those missing limbs should use them.

I get annoyed when her neighbors use them to park in handicapped spots at restaurants after have just finished playing 18 holes of golf:thwack:

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You cannot make a photocopy. However, you can use on more than one car. If there are several cars in the family, you can use it only when transporting the handicaped person. I think this is what made the DMV concerned in my case because they thought how can you take a 5-year old in a lotus.

On the other hand, if you have a licsense plate, it is only for the particular car.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I had a temporary one for the first three months or so that I owned my Elise. I had just had knee replacement surgery about three months prior to getting the car and had a temporary (six-month) placard. I'll admit I used it a couple of times to get a good parking space for the Elise.

The idea of a handicapped person with an Elise reminds me of a time I pulled into my gym parking lot (into a regular non-handicapped space) and one of the trainers looked at the car and said "No wonder your knees hurt. Mone would too if I had to get in and out of that car."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts