The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just buy a cheap beater and DD that.

Your short commute is going to be harsh on the engine as it will not have time to warm up and burn off acids by the time you get there. More frequent oil changes and longer drives throughout the week can help mitigate the damage. Also, you'll be limited by RPM most of the commute anyway... I don't get it. +1 for the miata or something more to your liking.

·
Registered
291 Posts
had a cheap beater to DD. Every day I would have to get up and decide which care to drive that day. Sold the beater after I hadn't driven it in 3 months.
What you want to put your engine through is indeed your choice. For me, a daily three mile commute is definitely not one of those things.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You do know this isn't some rare engine that HAS to be driven a certian way? It's a celica motor, same motor some soccer mom in a Pontiac Vibe drove balls out from the time she hit the key till she dropped the kids off at school. One that used regular dino oil and 87 octane for 150k miles with no problems?

Some of you need to wake up and take your car off a pedestal. It's a great car, but it's still just a car. A cheap one at that with a mass production toyota motor that is made to short trip if need be.

If you want to keep it in the garage and wipe it with a pamper that's up to you. I'll be the one doing what the car was made for, driving it.
Turns out it DOES have to be driven a certain way. Otherwise there wouldn't be a break in period that voids the warranty if not followed or a speed limiter below a certain temperature.

From the owner's manual:

"'Severe Service Conditions
Certain operating conditions can cause rapid degradation of the oil quality, either by the accumulation of dirt particles [and acid], or by the absorption of water from condensation.
-Stop/start driving with frequent short trips where the engine rarely warms up thoroughly (especially in cold weather)"

The above is pretty much what I said and a daily three mile commute to work certainly qualifies. You're right, this isn't some rare engine, however we do use relatively rare and premium oil which has different characteristics than what you're used to.

Also, a daily three mile commute isn't really good for any engine, but if you're going to be hard on an engine a Lotus isn't exactly the cheapest to fix. It's called a "beater" for a reason.

I don't hold the car on a pedestal but I do take good care of all of my vehicles, regardless of how "rare" the engine might be. The OP asked for opinions and I gave mine. Apparently that offends you, but that's not my fault.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It's not a lotus engine and yes they are cheap to fix. And you are right, a 3 mile commute isn't good for the engine as far as causing you to change the oil more often and quicker fouling of the o2 sensor but that is it. I've worked in dealerships as a service manager/tech for over 10 years, i'm aware what different types of driving will do to a car. I've seen the 10 year old cars with 9k miles come in with clogged egr ports. The lotus's engine is not any different than a Celica with a different weight synthetic oil. That is a fact many people will not accept.
I never said anything about a Lotus engine. You're right though, $150-$300 oil changes are very reasonable, I'm sure that's what the Celica crowd are paying as well. I agree that it's ridiculous to pay anywhere close to that for an oil change when you can easily do it yourself but that is the reality of the situation.

Bottom line is I guarantee you the same problem with the engine on my Honda, or a celica for that matter is going to be much less expensive than on the Lotus.

If you're aware of what different types of driving will do to a car why did you make a big stink about it in the first place? Literally all I said and what you took as blasphemy was "I wouldn't want to put a daily three mile commute on my engine."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts