The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Lotus Elise as Daily Driver?

54K views 50 replies 28 participants last post by  West oz loti 
#1 · (Edited)
I know there are probably a few posts on here, but I searched and couldn't find any! I was wondering what your thoughts are about having a Lotus Elise as a Daily Driver and only car?

I am aware of the obvious concerns: rough ride, not easy to get in and out of, shoe limiting, space, loud, poor air conditioning, poor stereo, rain leaks, attention, and parking it.

I think I can deal with it because I'm very small (5'2") and used to driving performance cars and their characteristics as daily drivers (Competition M3 though it's cushy in comparison). My commute to work is only 3 miles. My boyfriend has an Elise so I am familiar with driving it. The only major concern I have is the air conditioning but I think with 3M clear tint and some minor mods, it might be OK.

Also, if anyone knows more about maintenance and reliability for daily driver / higher mileage use, that would be great.

#4 ·
You must be kidding.

Of course in the 5-6 years so this message board has been around, we've never thought to discuss it and no one has ever asked!

51K daily driven miles here.

#6 ·
I am aware of the obvious concerns: rough ride, not easy to get in and out of, shoe limiting, space, loud, poor air conditioning, poor stereo, rain leaks, attention, and parking it.
k

Also, for reliability, change the oil every once in a while. wait... Toyota's seem to last a while even if you don't change the oil... so don't change the oil...

#7 ·
I really think I could make this work as a daily. My reasons for getting it are that it's fun to drive, looks nice, reliable (Toyota drivetrain), and holds its value relative to other cars in its price range. Now I just have to see how much insurance is for it to be a daily and to find one.

#31 ·
#9 ·
You can use a skateboard or a bike as a daily driver. The issue is does it make a good daily driver. The answer is yes and no. If you live where the winters are mild, it doesn't rain much or snow, you don't do much Interstate driving and the parking is safe, go for it. If you answered no to any of the above, make sure you have a beater or second vehicle in your budget.

#30 ·
If you live where ..., it doesn't rain much
Huh?
I live in the land of rain (Pacific Northwest) and mine works fine as a daily driver.
I use the softop from sometime in March through sometime in November and the hardtop for the 3-4months inbetween.
When I use the softtop and am parking it in the rain (or sun for that matter) I throw the shower/suncap on there.

#10 ·
Why wouldnt it make a good DD? Kinda curious as to why people are asking this question. I wouldnt want it as an only vehicle being it has very limited cargo space but I can tell you when I get one it will be a DD from spring to fall. Then I can rally my suby in the winter. Cant wait til spring when I can seriously shop for one woo!

#13 ·
DD - naw...

#15 ·
i know there have been many threads about this...but anyway

I have been forced to drive my elise every day for the last month back and forth through west la from santa monica to beverly hills because my 135i has been in the shop as a result of being rear-ended...

I finally broke down and accepted a car rental (lincoln mkz, boring). I just couldn't take it anymore, too loud, too hard to get in and out of, can't parallel park it anywhere, too many people looking at me (next purchase: SCC dark tinting, back to stage 1 exhaust)...

Another thought, had I been driving the lotus when I got rear ended by a jeep cherokee, it would be gone now...

btw direzza star spec are great street tires...

#17 ·
I have been forced to drive my elise every day for the last month back and forth through west la from santa monica to beverly hills because my 135i has been in the shop as a result of being rear-ended...
I finally broke down and accepted a car rental (lincoln mkz, boring). I just couldn't take it anymore, too loud, too hard to get in and out of
I have been doing the exact same drive everyday in my Elise now for 3 years, including in torrential downpours, 100 degree heat, and horrible traffic. My Elise is in at Mulholland Motor Sports this week and I have been driving my wife's Pontiac Bonneville (essentially a lot like a Cadillac) and it is driving me nuts. I feel like I am driving a van, I can't feel the road, I feel like I am driving on marshmallows , the steering wheel is HUGE and feels like it belongs on a pirate ship, too many gadgets and distractions. I can't wait to get my Elise back !

Now all that said I would not recommend the Elise as an only car, we have 3 cars (soon 4) and
if going to someplace like costco or home depot or to haul my upright bass to the shop we obviously don't take the Elise. It is not a very practical "only" car, it is fine as a daily driver

#18 ·
I would only drive it to work and school, both of which have good parking, and for performance driving in the mountains or at the track. I can work from home anytime for inclement weather. My boyfriend drives us everywhere else and has other cars, so I don't forsee any problems.

#23 ·
Dumb idea especially if you live somewhere that it snows or rains all the time. If you must drive a roadster as a daily just buy a cheap Miata. You can park it anywhere, cheap maintenance, parts, insurance, good MPG and fun.

#24 ·
Just buy a cheap beater and DD that.

Your short commute is going to be harsh on the engine as it will not have time to warm up and burn off acids by the time you get there. More frequent oil changes and longer drives throughout the week can help mitigate the damage. Also, you'll be limited by RPM most of the commute anyway... I don't get it. +1 for the miata or something more to your liking.

#26 ·
With a three mile commute, you could get an Elise AND a Vespa 150cc scooter. Ride the Vespa to work on the nicest days (though the Elise might be great then too) and take the Elise when you need to.

I have to say though, my Elise has not quite warmed up after a 3 mile drive, unless it is getting onto a highway. When it is quite cold, the car takes a bit longer to warm up.

A/C wise, I dod the mod listed here, blocking off the air intakes in the hood and drilling out the covers in the passenger compartment. That actually did make the A/C work a bit better. DC area summers can be pretty miserable, and when it is really hot and you are sitting in traffic, the A/C doesn't work that well, but the rest of the time it's liveable.

#28 · (Edited)
This almost belongs in the 'stupid comments' thread, but over the summer met a woman who had just bought a Ferrari 360.

She told me she and her husband had bought an Elise when the first came out, and had since sold it.

She said they considered it their daily beater (she actually used that phrase, NOT daily driver) and drove the Ferrari they had just traded in on the 360 they drove recreationally and on weekends.

She said something to the effect of (only loosely paraphrased), while pointing to my Lotus..."C'mon, you can drive and park those anywhere. If something happens to it, you don't care..."

I just bought a 'rare' Pontiac Solstice Coupe as my daily driver. The Solstice community to which I have been exposed is appalled that I use it as anything other than a weekend toy...they treat their Solstice's with all the care, respect, and genuflection with which many here treat their Lotus.

Perspective is a wonderful thing.

#32 ·
She said they considered it their daily beater (she actually used that phrase, NOT daily driver) and drove the Ferrari they had just traded in on the 360 they drove recreationally and on weekends.

She said something to the effect of (only loosely paraphrased), while pointing to my Lotus..."C'mon, you can drive and park those anywhere. If something happens to it, you don't care..."

Perspective is a wonderful thing.
LOL, I said the same thing about my S2000 on the S2000 board and they just about had a heart attack, everyone got mad and the moderator sent me a nasty-gram. But it's true, it is my daily, I don't care if it's dirty, rained out, gets my muddy golf clubs thrown in it. It's a great daily beater.

#34 ·
It's not a question of "is it a good daily driver?"

It's about the fact that these Lotus cars are race cars, barely legal for the street.

The Lotus gets very good gas mileage and is a blast to drive.

But it is more race car than cushy passenger car.

I drive mine daily. But I truly love the car. That's the only reason I can ignore it's eccentricities.

Test drive one. You'll know if you have to have it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.