The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys
Not sure where to post this so....

Just wondered if any of you have experienced the same problem as me...
I have an 07 Lotus Elise that is not braking right...
Like this morning I drove to the end of the road put my foot on the brake and nothing happened.. I mean Nothing. Luckily nothing was coming so I managed to just turn the corner and was then pumping the brake to see if it would do something and it didnt again, I drove a little further testing them on the way and after about 5 attempts it started to brake but I dont think a new car like this should do that!!
This has happened on two occasions now and is really worrying me. The other day after about 5 minutes of driving some egit pulled out in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes and I remember at the time thinking that it surprised me how long it took to stop...
Any ideas? I'm ringing Lotus today to book it in to be looked at but wondered what you thought.

Thanks
Jen

·
Registered
36 Posts
No car should do that never mind a new one! if there was absolutely no braking (how did you ever completely stop if this was the case?) then its got to be something at the master cylinder / pedal end.

more likely you had some stopping but not a lot in which case I'd be wondering about anything from contamination on the discs to the front caliper seizing with rust / corrosion due to road salt. There's a fair number of possibilities - best see what the garage says. but one thing is for certain - its nothing specifically Lotus. The brakes are Brembo which is a big Italian maker commonly used on many makes of cars and bikes.

I've had my brakes seize on after washing before putting in the garage but never seize off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah you are right.
Luckily as I was coming out of my home street I was only doing about 15mph so I braked but nothing happened (I do mean nothing) but as I was going quite slow I just let the car decellerate and then tried them again once I turned the corner then eventually after braking way before I needed to it gradually came to a halt.
I knew that this shouldnt be happening, like you say on any car let alone a new one and especially a Lotus as the brakes are supposed to be awesome (its not a heavy car after all) - and brembo brakes speak for themselves.

Yes I have experienced them seizing on after the car is not used for a week or so or after washing like you say but its never an issue really.

Very worrying.

·
Registered
821 Posts
What does the pedal feel like when this occurs? if its hard then my first thought is the brake booster...If its soft and you can "pump them up" then there is air in the line somewhere...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
What does the pedal feel like when this occurs? if its hard then my first thought is the brake booster...If its soft and you can "pump them up" then there is air in the line somewhere...
Exactly what he said...

Also is it cold IE. below freezing where your at? If so it's possible that there is a bit of water in the one way valve that is freezing it shut and not allowing vacuum to get the brake assist booster. It should go away once it warms up and melts. This can happen if you do lots of short trips where the engine never fully warms up and then is shut down to cool again.

Every time the engine cools a bit of water vapor will condense inside the engine. This usually isn't a problem because once the engine is run up to operating temp for a period of time it will boil/evaporate it away. However if you do lots of short trips the condensation will build up over time. One way to tell is to pull the dipstick and if you see a milky substance on it that be water contamination.

wheel bearings?
:thwack:

·
Puff Daddy
3,874 Posts
If the pedal just hits the floor when you try to stop then it sounds like air in the lines...

I'd recommend towing it back to the dealer (if it's under warranty). Sounds dangerous to drive around like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts